Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Chandelier

Fairly simple project. Approx. 25000 polys

mainchandeliercd3.jpg

secondarychandelierjn7.jpg

Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• BeatKitano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BeatKitano polycounter lvl 16
    If its for realtime use, its waaaay too high, you could lower the polycount to more than half this polycount. Especially on the lightbulbs and the deco parts on the upper part.
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    25000 polys but it's still really jaggy
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    way to many triangles in the crystals - also on other parts the balance of the polygons is off
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    ack! you're killing yourself with that render. tone down the background.... try.. a 25% grey or something, maybe even with a subtle touch of blue to contrast the general warmth of the object.

it's really hard to judge with a bad render.

i think you've done a good job, although, yeah, there's too many polies in those crystals for sure.. and the lights... and even the circumference of the circular arms.. oh, and the bottom nib.. i dont know if you're going for low poly though, so what ever..... but if you're going for high poly, you should have just done it to the tits and modeled the detail...

anyway, this looks nice, but it's not really a special, fantastic object. something like this -- if it looks good in a scene that's well lit (which i think it might) then you've done a good job. if you really want a pimped out eye-catching chandelier on the other hand, i would go back and add more detail.. like into the normal map. add swirlies and designs and patterns perhaps. it's up to you.

nice work!
  • DavidC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I knocked it down from 25000 to 16500 tris, decreased the saturation on the background, and gave it a more bluish hue. Only part that was increased in polycount was the base where it hangs from the ceiling, which was looking too low poly relative to everything else.

chandeliermaincs8.jpg
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    whats this for? game related or just 3d?

My problem with this is that you still have a shit ton of polys in the actual candles and the bases they sit on. You have put a lot of polys into these small details that really can't be seen from this distance well and have very little in the structure that connects all the arms in the middle.

The spiky rings that surround the bases could just be alpha'd and save a lot of polys. The candles bulbs could still be optimized since you have polys that don't benefit the actual sillouhette much. The chains could be alpha'd too. The dangly glass things have the same problem as the bulbs in that they have polys that aren't really doing much for the shape. 1 or maaaybe 2 edge loops could be taken out of each one and still keep the look pretty much.

heres some of the things I mean.

chand1.jpg
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    Almost all the cylindrical elements can benefit from this technique which will save you lots of tri's in this case:

http://www.poopinmymouth.com/process/tips/examples/sphere_trisave.jpg
  • DavidC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It wasn't for anything in particular, just spare time stuff. The image really helped oobersli. I managed to knock everything down to around 10000 tris. Seems I still need to improve a lot at not wasting polys.

simplechandeliernv5.jpg
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    ingame that would have like 3000 or 5000 tris max imo .