Home Technical Talk

Slow undo in 3dsmax with DirectX materials

sublime tool
Offline / Send Message
Joao Sapiro sublime tool
Everytime i apply directx materials in max ecerytime i do undo or some simple operation max crashes . This is driving me nuts as i have to deal with only that type of realtime , i cant use other shaders that actually work better agh !

[/rant]

Replies

• Pavel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pavel polycounter lvl 10
    thit is f*@%ing 3dsmax...Here is nothing to tell more...

what version you use?
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    8.0 and 9.0 same shit :S
  • Pavel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pavel polycounter lvl 10
    Hahah...

i just stay on 8 with sp3...but this stupid crashes got into habit for me...
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    i had that problem with 7, and 8... but 9 seems much more stable to me. whether it's because i'm running 64bit or not, i don't know.

i would like it if some talented scripter could write their own normalmapping script though.
  • fritz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fritz polycounter lvl 18
    if i'm working on a char. i'll usually have standard material ready to go...then slap that on real fast if i need to make changes. i HATE the lag max has w/DX display...

love/hate relationships.....*sigh*

can you save your mats out as a .fx? i know you can do that...dunno if it'll help or not.
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    There's new updates check those out for max 9.
  • diminished_Self
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    diminished_Self polycounter lvl 12
    are you using the normal bump method? we had a lot of problems with crashes and the 10 minute undo shit when we were using it. switch to using a directX material, the standardFX.fx does most everything you need (AO, diffuse, spec, normal, reflection) and that should solve your problem.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, don't use the "DX Display" checkbox - or in fact, do that, but then click the "Save as .FX file" next to it, and then load the new .fx file into a DirectX9 shader material, rather than just using the "DX Display" checkbox on a standard material.
    Much more stable and fast, so I never use the DX Display method now - mostly I use JIStyle's shader for normal/bump/spec, and then a couple of custom ones for different displays.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Johny man you NOOB. What are you thinking? haha Yeah I switched up to using directX materials as well with standardFX because it wasn't as buggy.

I also did something rather silly a while back. I was working on my Mosul project and I had turned on the shaders on all the textures in the scene. Hmmm...My video cards memory filled up quickly with a ton of 2048x4096 size textures. Max didn't run very long like that.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    problem is you can't load psd files in to your normal bump shader. I always try and use max standard materials where possible. this issue should really be fixed
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    you may have problems, if:
    you pushing "On" direct x shader option, before applying normal maps.
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    also, install last service pack.
    really solving a lot of problems, with shaders/crashes/unstability
  • SuperOstrich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperOstrich polycounter lvl 17
    I was having Max crashes constantly in a similar fashion to you Johny. I would hit undo when I had DX shaders applied and it would crash. It seemed to be an "out of memory" issue from what I could tell, because I brought up my performance dialog while working and I would see the amount of memory max was using just go up, up, up as I moved things around in the viewport. Well, I eventually discovered that the crashes were being caused by a script I was running that put my poly stats in the viewport corner. This was a script I'd been using for a long time that was fine in Max7. Once I discovered that script was causing the crash, I started using Max's viewport statistic and the memory crashes stopped completely.
  • Flewda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flewda polycounter lvl 17
    Yeah, use the DirectX shader. Then for your .fx file pick standard. I feel it doesn't give AS nice results as using the DX Display does (the shader seems to have less control than you get with a Max Standard) but for seeing a Diffuse, Normal, and Spec on your model in fast real time (without lag) then this is definitely the way to go. (In Max 9 anyway). I just recently upgraded to 9, and found it had ths, but I never found it in Max 8.
  • A-Train
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A-Train polycounter lvl 15
    Hey guys, from reading this thread...I realize you mostly use standardFX so I wanted to pose this problem that I'm having. I use 3ds Max 9, and for whatever reason my AO lightmap won't show up in the 2nd channel (it has different mapping than channel 1)

I'm working on an art test for splash damage, and they'd like to see that. The diffuse, normal, and spec show up looking great in viewport. Any ideas? As I need to have the lightmap showing up as well.

Thanks a lot!
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thread_Necromancy.jpg

I don't think Splash Damage is looking for a second UV Channel, so any lighting info you want baked in would have to into the diffuse. Unless they've changed their art test from the last time I looked at it?
  • A-Train
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hahahahah arise long dead thread :P sorry about that one Vig.

Actually I'm doing the environment art test, not the water cooler asset.
    So yeah I'm going to need to get the lightmap working in the 2nd channel.

I'm going to ask the man Earthquake about this one.

As I see here, he's done a fine AO lightmap job...hopefully he has an answer.
    http://boards.polycount.net/showpost.php?p=821730&postcount=25

I'm just hoping this can work using standardFX, I don't really get why it's not :(
  • j_bradford
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    j_bradford polycounter lvl 17
    MoP wrote: »
    Yeah, don't use the "DX Display" checkbox - or in fact, do that, but then click the "Save as .FX file" next to it, and then load the new .fx file into a DirectX9 shader material, rather than just using the "DX Display" checkbox on a standard material.
    Much more stable and fast, so I never use the DX Display method now - mostly I use JIStyle's shader for normal/bump/spec, and then a couple of custom ones for different displays.

Mop how do you load a directx 9 material????
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    mmm open material editor, click on standard, switch to direct x shader then you can load your material.
  • A-Train
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DX Display using standard material is clunky. It makes undo's in Max take a few minutes rather than seconds (just a draw back to it, as it refreshes all of your textures before it undoes). Thanks though!