Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Renders From My Demo Reel. (warning: 16 images)

ContrivanCe
polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
ContrivanCe polycounter lvl 14
Scene 1:
Demo_Reel_Interior_1_by_ContrivanCe.jpg
Demo_Reel_Interior_2_by_ContrivanCe.jpg
Demo_Reel_Interior_fav_by_Contrivan.jpg
Demo_Reel_Interior_5_by_ContrivanCe.jpg
Demo_Reel_Interior_11_by_ContrivanC.jpg
Demo_Reel_Interior_7_by_ContrivanCe.jpg
Demo_Reel_Interior_8_by_ContrivanCe.jpg

Scene 2:
da1atl.jpg
daatl3.jpg
da2atl.jpg
dalastatl.jpg

Scene 3:
Demo_Reel_Checkpoint_Preview_by_Con.jpg
Demo_Reel_Checkpoint_Shot_1_by_Cont.jpg

Demo_Reel_Checkpoint_Shot_5_by_Cont.jpg
da8.png
da6.jpg

Graduating tomorrow in Media Arts and Animation from The Art Institute of Ft. Lauderdale.

Replies

• Zephir62
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zephir62 polycounter lvl 12
    Invest in a time machine back to the year 1996, they'd love you there
  • Rated Rrr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rated Rrr polycounter lvl 17
    Although that was funny, i think this thread still needs some constructive crit.

Okay so I'll start with the pros. It seems like most of these pieces display a basic skill in model making and you have an understanding of some material and effects. Those points aside, most of this is substandard.

Zeph's comment (while funny and a bit harsh) is pretty relevant, I'm not sure what field you're shooting for (games, gen 3d, whatevs) but your stuff is pretty far below current gen.

My advice, pick one of these, redo it. Find some of the best work on these boards, from games, whatever. See how they do their work, try and follow their steps and bring your work up to the industries current (above current) level.

I'm pulling for you man, I hope this helps, good luck.

As for Zephs comment, if you are interested in time travel, meet me back here 3 days ago.
  • Kawe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kawe polycounter lvl 8
    I assume you are aiming for games. In general the poly distribution seems way off. Anyhow.. I'll give it a try.

First scene lacks purpose and design. What is it that I am looking at? The texturing is pretty poor and they aren't really working together. Also the scene is way too busy.. so much glowy stuff. As a player I'd be pretty confused cause I don't know where I should be looking.

The corridor of the first scene has the same problem as the.. uhm.. I believe it is an elevator shaft (that I commented above). Poor texturing and random details. It is relying too much on small details to look good rather than having a genuine design.

For the medical room I like the effort you put into images for the monitors but other than that it looks more like an AO pass to show WIP. Also it seems like you are relying too much on expensive and fancy effects (full reflections and what not). While you could do that the content displayed here isn't close to what it should be at to be using such a game engine imo.

Now second scene. Too many fancy effects. It does look wet like I think it is supposed to be BUT it looks more like ice and a normal map gone wrong rather than wet. This scene is way too busy too.

Last scene has exactly the same issues as the other two. Nice monitor images but that's about it. Ooh.. and I just noticed that there are lots of UV space issues.. some areas get like a bajillion resolution while others get zero.

For a closing comment I'd say. You really put in a lot of time into the details and effects but that's where you got lost. For future work you should focus on the design and purpose more as well as trying to get everything to look coherent! Re-using textures isn't always a bad thing. And ya... too many details can be bad... really bad. Can't be relying on small details and shiny stuff cause 90% of the players won't stop to admire the effort you put in. Instead design and coherency is king. Did you have any concepts to work off from or did you just do these things on a whim?

uhm... and lighting is pretty mediocre in all of these scenes.

Man.. so many things to say so I'm getting lost.

Oh, try to not bother with special materials for your stuff. Try to stick with diff, spec and normal maps for everything and only in special cases add other things like glow and transparency. Cause you really won't get to play with much other things in a computer game.

Like I said.. too much to say so I hope I made any sense. lol.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Graduating tomorrow in Media Arts and Animation from The Art Institute of Ft. Lauderdale.

I would have to say it dosnt sound like he is shooting for games. But IDK, I think I will need a few more clues first.

Here are some more crits.

You have a few objects that dont have smoothing groups and are still faceted from when you extruded it and just never bothered to put some simple smoothing on it. Example being the gold part of the knife handle and the cord/base of the gold light near the knife.

You need to think about not just the items in the sceen but if they fit and should belong there. Example in your extreamly barren textured medical office you have a bloody knife in the bottom right hand corner but no blood/stains on the chair, floor or table anywhere? How could such an anal neat freak doctor keep everything so clean and just leave a bloody knife lying around?

For your sea seen its hard to tell what is really going on since all the colors other then the sea blend in together. Looks like someone just spit up a thing of tuna in some water.

Now im not Media Arts expert but composition, completion (IE dont make scenes that look like WIP AO renders) are important concepts to understand.
  • Aldo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I bet it probably feels like a big kick in the groin to just finish 3 or 4 years in school, paid thousands of dollars...and then get out and find out that you're probably not where you need to be skill-wise.

I see a lot stuff that show promise, but can't really tell you exactly what you're doing wrong until you show how you've built it.

My advice though, would be to not let your bruised ego get you down too much...and just get back and focus on small stuff. Start with a small scene, something that has different materials (metal, leather, wood, plastic...whatever)...and then just focus on making those small things look good and separate (and not glossy). Also, don't use any architectural materials in max or anything that can't be done real time easily (displacement, reflections, etc). Then post progress and listen to people's advice as you go along.

Good luck.
  • Slave_zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slave_zero polycounter lvl 8
    Some additional sugestions from my side (I'm refering to the desk-scene):

You shouldn't throw all your work into one scene. At the moment it looks like a random composition of things you created an put it all on that desk.

Take the things which relate to each other like the gun, handgrenade, Knife and get some other items like magazines, or Bullets. With those you can create a simple scene showing your work on modern weapons and stuff.

Show some renderings with wireframes.

If you aim for Game-biz leave out those fancy Raytracing-Render-Effects.
    If you are aiming for a Job in High-poly-Rendering you should take more effort in th materials. A scene is not getting better by just activating the raytracing and glow effects.

Instead use some specular-maps to get some more realistic materials. If you aim for high-Poly-rendering you can do some Post-Processing work aswell: like do an Occlusion-Render-Path and combine it with the color-image.
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Wow, looks like you have been working really hard. A lot of this has some great potential, but like others have said it seems to lack focus. To me, its almost like abstract art in some of these, but besides the water scene I'm not sure how much of it is intentional.

Anyways, still waiting to hear what you are looking for job wise, assuming that is the goal (to get a job).

If I were you: I would take all your skills and knowledge you have gained in school and attempt to recreate a normal building or something that you might see in real life. Preferably something with a little grunge that has character. Go someplace where you live, and take a picture of one of these kinds of buildings, and try to recreate it as realistic as possible. Check out this guys site for reference, he graduated from the same school as me and currently works in the game industry. http://www.tgz3d.com/

So, if you take my advice, start working on it asap, and make your own work in progress thread. The people here at polycount will help you work out any of the kinks mentioned with any of your current works. This way, you will have a great portfolio piece, and the grounds to make more content.

Good Luck.
  • garriola83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    It looks dated, like Reboot circa mid 90s not like next-gen at all
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    Keep at it, and dont get discouraged crits maybe harsh but there's truth in here. Polycount will tell you the truth, even if it hard and cruel, but it will make you a better artist if you listen to the crits and work on them! Keep your chin up and take everything with a grain of salt and keep on pluggin on.

Also you may want to point out what you did and what you didn't do on the images. It's always good to create your own textures. It looks like you may have not done that with all the textures I think I see a few there that are in my inspiration folder too...
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Being a Polycount veteran doesn't give you a right to be an asshat though (Unless you're Per). Some of the comments here are just nasty simply because you can get away with it because a retaliating newbie will be flamed by everyone else.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Hey, I graduated from AiFL back in 2003, is Mr. Carnegie still teaching?

Get the pillar tutorial from http://eat3d.com/ and start building a scene in UT3
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    I guess as harsh as comments can be just for the sake you can still learn from them. Be open and take whatever you want from them. That's what polycount is about.

Anyways..... my feedback to you.

it seems you know the basics of 3D and your aim is more visual 3 media... but you still gots lot to learn on how to set up a scene and make it work together and not just assets thrown together to make something for school. It would be nice to see your process, how you plan your scene. Wireframes... textures....
    You lack detail... your first two renders of the elevator shaft looking thing looks kinda cool, but i have no idea what it is. And things just look off once you look closely at it. The rest of your scenes either look generic or unfinished. Even when things are the same color like they still have different textures and feel to them, that's what make things look different. Maybe on the normals, their silhouette, you tend to grunge some of your textures and then u blend them with the cleanest assets around. Like that han solo gun... it just looks like you threw a shader from maya on to it to save time. I take it that you are more of media where the final result is what matters, but there has to be knowledge on what you intend to do from the beginning or your work will look sloppy and there won't be something that catches peoples attention.

USE REFERENCE! even when you create something there is still reference to how things are built! Not using reference and just creating something from scratch makes your assets look fake... they lack weight, just not believable. Most of the assets inside the bunker just don't look right.... but that is something that we can look at more closely if you decide to show some wireframes and textures.

you use colors and lights in a different way i guess... and i want to say that you nail some of the concepts you don't look past what lights and colors do to bring your scene together. If you use shaders without unwrapping your assets then you better have some detailed nice models so that it shines out. If not it just looks messy. Lights give contour to your scene, makes it dramatic and make it look real. So far your lights are working lights in my opinion. They light the scene and thats about it, they don't add anything to the scene. The closest one i see to something starting to give mood and atmosphere are the sci fi renders of the tunnels... and yet it looks generic. Seriously, just look around you and see how light makes the difference.

Man... i could go on, but i think that it enough for you to think about and take what you think might be of use for you. Sorry if it sounds harsh, but i think that there are standards in the game industry now a days, and if we don't push it then we'll get mediocre 3D.

Cheers!
  • ContrivanCe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ContrivanCe polycounter lvl 14
    Autocon wrote: »
    I would have to say it dosnt sound like he is shooting for games.
    nah, Animation. I was aiming for...not games? CG films I guess?

Here are some more crits.
    Autocon wrote: »
    You have a few objects that dont have smoothing groups and are still faceted from when you extruded it and just never bothered to put some simple smoothing on it.

Sadly, I just learned about smoothing groups about 2 weeks ago. The scene was already rendered by then.
    Slave_zero wrote: »
    You shouldn't throw all your work into one scene. At the moment it looks like a random composition of things you created an put it all on that desk.
    Take the things which relate to each other like the gun, handgrenade, Knife and get some other items like magazines, or Bullets. With those you can create a simple scene showing your work on modern weapons and stuff.

I was aiming for a security checkpoint kind of booth, a place to dropoff and make deliveries and such as well. Maybe too pretentious.
    Slave_zero wrote: »
    If you are aiming for a Job in High-poly-Rendering you should take more effort in th materials. A scene is not getting better by just activating the raytracing and glow effects.

Instead use some specular-maps to get some more realistic materials.

That scene was a collab with me and another guy. I spec mapped everything I did. Thing that weren't spec mapped (monitors, chairs, cans) were done by him.
    Dekard wrote: »
    Also you may want to point out what you did and what you didn't do on the images.

I did the first and second scenes %100 (elevator, hallway, lab areana).
    In the last scene, I modeled and lit the environment. As for the props, everything spec and bump mapped was done by me (modeled and textured) anything not was done by someone else.
    Jackablade wrote: »
    a retaliating newbie

Put a smile on my face. But I can tell when people have nothing better to do, and I know better than to "retaliate" which is what people are just waiting for.
    Hey, I graduated from AiFL back in 2003, is Mr. Carnegie still teaching?

Cancer, but still kicking.

Thanks for the crits guys.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    hey man, Like others have said I think you should define and focus and purpose for each scene. use reference and go for a more subtle approach to environments. Not everything has to be in the face "look at me" in fact it usually feels more natural if lots of stuff kinda seems ancillary and just there cause it belongs in the environment. kinda hard to explain. Right now the biggest fault I see is there is just too much visual noise, everything is fighting for attention.

use lighting to highlight areas of interest and let other areas fall into shadow with vague forms in them so it helps the viewer mentally fill in the gaps. dont be afraid if an unlit scene looks kinda boring and flat, lighting will add another level of depth, this is something beginners usually forget about.

If you study a lot of good environment work you will begin to see some patterns and hopefully recognize what makes it look believable. then apply these "lessons" to your own work and I guarantee you will see rapid improvement. study, interpret and apply, that's what usually works best for me.
  • thinsoldier
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thinsoldier polycounter lvl 18
    study, interpret and apply
    yeah, and lurk your ass of in forums like polycount. I'm not even a real artist and I've been able to give you similar suggestions on deviantart, all thanks to lurking on polycount reading these people give good advice to others.

4 years of formal training + lurking on polycount (& game-artisan, conceptart.org, cgsociety, & 3dtotal) = the sky's the limit for you :)

Now get your ass on a plane, come the fuck home, and teach me some 3d shit!
  • thinsoldier
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thinsoldier polycounter lvl 18
    Instead of repeating what's been said I'd like to point out that anyone who's lurked on this site as long as I have would be able to give you all the same advice and then some simply from the experience of reading these people critique each others stuff. For your instructors to not tell you any of this while they were teaching you is epic fail.

Years of formal training + lurking on sites like polycount (& 3dtotal, cgsociety, conceptart, etc) = the sky's the limit for you.

Now get your ass on a plane, come home, and teach me some proper 3d!!! Now!

As I said on deviantart about the water-world scenes, I feel they desperately need shadows to get some controst going on. Also if you zoom out until those images are about 25% of their original size it becomes really obvious which ones have the most potential. If something in your shot does not contribute at 25% then it isn't going to help much at 100%.

This is the best one (zoomed out) in my opinion. In fact it reminds me of a thumbnail speed-paint I saw on conceptart.org a while back.
    Demo_Reel_Interior_fav_by_Contrivan.jpg

And the doctors office probably would have been better as just an ambient occlusion render so the only thing to focus on was your modeling skills instead of the lack of good lighting and overly reflective/bright surfaces.

Alternative to zooming would be to stand 6 feet from the screen and squint so your visions blurry. The dark tunnel looks really cool when I do that.