Home Technical Talk

Free FX shader for 3dsmax viewport

I worte a shader for 3dsmax viewport and you can view the result here:
agusturinngk7.jpg

As you may know the character in screenshot is modeled by Ben Mathis(http://www.poopinmymouth.com/).Thanks for Ben's agusturinn therefore I can use it for my shader's test and example to let you play with shader.
File size:48.6MB
File format:3dmax9 Extension 1
Here is link:
http://www.poopinmymouth.com/3d/sdk/agusturinn-shader.zip
After you are familiar with example,replace your own character and see how it looks at max viewport.
Crits and comments are welcome!

Updating news:For AMD_ATI card user,I upload new fx shaders(shadermodel 2.x) which are compatible for AMD_ATI card.
you can download "agusturinn-shader-amd.zip"
http://www.deviantart.com/download/102076872/Agusturinn_Demo_For_AMD_ATI_by_RTshaders.zip
Extract it and replace the existing fx file.

Replies

• Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey man, i got the chance to download this and see the shader in action and i must say it's really cool :) the glow effect on the model looks really cool. and the SSS on the face looks fine as well :)
    Hope to see some more shaders from you.
  • fritz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fritz polycounter lvl 18
    will this run in multiple versions of max?
  • RTshaders
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback:)

It is in sort of demo or beta phase and still need to improve in the next version.Therefore I haven't elaborated the usage of shaders thoughfully.Sorry for the confusion.

This shader can run in 3dsmax9/2008/2009.I personly suggest to use it in 3dsmax9 for AA and AF support to get better effect.I have a version which support realtime shadow of 3dsmax2008/2009.But problem is that transparent model with alpha textures project incorrect shadow.

Shader's current features:
    One UV texture,
    Two point lights,
    Diffuse map(include alpha which control transparency),
    AO(ambient occlusion) map or Lightmap share the same channel,
    Normal map,Specular map,Specular level map,Gloss map,Emissive map,
    Two type of Cubemap---One is diffuse cubemap for generating IBL(image based lighting),
    the other is enviroment cubemap for reflection.

You can vary some fancy effect in different combination like SSS,anti-aliasing post-process effect,
    anti-aliasing transparent effect etc. You can insert black or white textures such as 32x32 size's jpg/tga/dds
    to any channel you don't use.I know it is rather hassle for time being.Sorry for that.

Anyone have any further question,don't be shy to ask.
  • Showster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Showster polycounter lvl 18
    I'm running max 2009 with direct x 10 drivers. At the moment nothing is showing on my viewports, I'm guessing you need to be running dx 9 to see it in action :O?
  • RTshaders
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Showster wrote: »
    I'm running max 2009 with direct x 10 drivers. At the moment nothing is showing on my viewports, I'm guessing you need to be running dx 9 to see it in action :O?

Yes,work fine at dx9.I don't insall dx10 so no idea why cause that.Sorry for inconvience.
  • maltuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow! awesome job, this is great. thank you :)
  • Adam Curtis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Adam Curtis polycounter lvl 16
    Ah that's great thanks :)
  • byder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, can't wait to download this one... looks and sounds awesome :)
  • fritz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fritz polycounter lvl 18
    poor max 8....i'm sad....
  • DrillerKiller
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrillerKiller polycounter lvl 11
    cant get it show up in viewport :(, what am i doing wrong?
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    it looks great in your image, but i can't get it to show in my viewport. i think it has something to do with the alpha channel set to a black image or something like that. running max 9.
    maybe because the diffuse doesn't have an alpha channel or something?
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    Just tried it out in 9 and 2008 and when I apply it to my item it goes invisible. Anything I need to change in the settings?

Seems like a great shader. Lots of settings.
  • RTshaders
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys Just like perna told,you have to put a black or white image into those map slots even you don't use it. Beside that you must assign cubemap into cubemap slot otherwise you will get black or invisible too.Anyone want the info about how to generate cubemap,let me know. Moreover diffuse map without alpha won't cause black or invisible. Thanks for your feedback.
  • RTshaders
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    perna wrote: »
    "everyone" is looking for a shader like this in cgfx format for mudbox 2009, since it doesn't come with a normal map shader out of the box. You'd make a lot of people happy if you could do that, just as a suggestion.

I wish I had more hands and brains:poly136:
    By the way,your portfolios are impressive!:thumbup:
  • Rob Galanakis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    perna wrote: »
    "everyone" is looking for a shader like this in cgfx format for mudbox 2009, since it doesn't come with a normal map shader out of the box. You'd make a lot of people happy if you could do that, just as a suggestion.

As far as I can tell, this is just a Standard 3dsMax material saved out in FX format.

It'd be much simpler for RTshaders to include the material file instead of the .fx file. Max's .fx converter is extremely crappy, and since it looks like it is using the assembly, and not HLSL, version, it may even be doing hardware-specific stuff.

RTShaders, I'd also encourage you to look at something like ShaderFX instead of doing the Max conversion, if you're serious about making DX shaders.
  • RTshaders
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    More than one people asked me question about my shaders coding in ASM instead of HLSL.
    http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=129412&b=1

I have looked into realtime shaders for a pretty long time.I aimed at enhancing visualization in realtime application by shaders.3dsMax is only one of them.I write shaders in HLSL language after then compile to ASM with tool:fxc.exe which you can find in DirectX sdk.It is my custom and I don't think it is a problem.
    On a side note that 3dsMax is hostile to shaders and hopefully it will improve in future.
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    i'm sure i have everything assigned properly, as i'm trying it with the included model.. :(. i wants it, the light setup seems sooo nice!
  • byder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just been playing with this shader... its very cool!
    Its a great tool for visualizing things in the viewport!
    I can see the reason you put the AOMap in a separate channel for lightmapping reasons, but most of the time the AOMaps are just added to my diffuse... so I now have to map a white image in there... its not a problem, just something maybe to change in the next version?!?!?
    Gonna enjoy using this shader though!
    Thanx a lot!
    ~C
  • ocarian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ocarian polycounter lvl 16
    Excelent Shader RTshaders

good work
    I ll try to use your shader on my next model :)

thanks
  • RTshaders
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update a new realtime water scene in 3dsmax
    Screenshots:
    Realtime_Water_scene_download_by_RTshaders.jpg

Realtime_Water_scene_screen02_by_RTshaders.jpg
    File format:3DSMax9 Extension 1 or latest version like 3DSMax2008/2009
    Download link(30MB):
    http://www.zshare.net/download/503933987fc34fcd/
    Or
    http://rapidshare.de/files/40757448/corridor-water.zip.html

To be able to run this 3DSMax scene your video card must support shadermodel 3.0.Sugest to run on Nvidia Card.

Building in this scene were converted from one of Nvidia Fluid demo.

If you'd like to watch video first,here we go:
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IU-iZ7m2f8&fmt=18[/ame]

Added a new realtime water shader(shadermodel 2.x) for AMD_ATI card.
    extract zip file and replace the existing fx file.
    http://www.deviantart.com/download/102240448/Water_scene_For_AMD_ATI_by_RTshaders.zip
  • Pedro Amorim
  • ploon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great shader RT! -
    In Max 9 occasionally the object totally disappears when i update the material in the diffuse slot using a tga. Doesnt happen all the time, just a strange glitch. Thanks for the shader all the same :)
  • byder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey hey!

The water shader looks gr8, actually been thinking recently I need something like this. So thanks a lot!

Just another 'wishlist item' for the next version of your agusturinn glow shader. It would be awesome if the glow calculations take every mesh in the scene into account. Currently a mesh that is not welded to the mesh with the shader on will not occlude the glow effect. Thus it glows straight thru objects it shouldn't.

Thanks for the great shaders though!! :)

~C
  • RTshaders
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3dsmax have a poor support for post-process effect's shaders and that is why you can see the glow get throught the mesh.It is fixable but not a simple task for just assigning couples of shaders and depends very much on the scene.
    You can merge related mesh in that scene into one mesh,for instance,agusturinn model.After then applied glow shader which will fix the bug.But character is static without any animation.You need to rerig the character.
  • byder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmmm, makes sense! Its just such a nice shader, that this niggles... there are always work arounds :)
    Maybe just something to keep in mind ;)

EDIT:
    Would you mind giving us a short run down on how to get this shader functioning nicely. Like a short tut, or just a tech guide?! Like does file units or scale play a role?! Thanx :D
  • jamoka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks all RTshaders