Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Basic ol' Barrel

I started a thread in the technical talk, but continued working. I have since then added some rust and what not to my barrel, and think I need to ask how she looks. I am also going to include what I asked in the OP. Maybe someone can help me out here.

ORIGINAL POST.

I do not know how I got to this point, but I am wondering where to go. I took some pictures the other day of textures I might want to use later. Well, one picture was of a barrel, and for practice I wanted to model a, not high poly, but higher poly barrel, try to bake out an occlusion pass and attach it to a lower poly version of it and try to get a version very similar. I have tried this before, and never gotten actual results worth posting. Well I could have posted this in the P&P but I want to know a couple of things.

1. Is the way I got to this point a weird way? I started as just practice and now I want to expand on this.

2. Should I try to model out the top? Or flat texture it in?

3. I attached the occlusion map to a flat shaded lower poly version where you would attach your normal/bump map and got a pretty good result. Is this where I need to apply the occlusion map? Or is there another place to attach this?

4. To make the color map I just put big blocks of solid color on top of the occlusion map and set it to multiply so the same detail was shown through the color. Now I will add decals and dirt and grime on to the color map but how will I incorporate that into the bump map?

Umm I hope these questions make sense, if not maybe these will help.

The barrel on the left is 840 triangles, and the 2 on the right are 384, with the occlusion map baked from the 840 attached to them.
barrels.jpg

These are the options I used to bake the occlusion map that I applied as a normal map to the lower poly version.
http://zacharyrussellphotography.com/__oneclick_uploads/2008/10/baking-options.jpg

This is the occlusion map that I applied as a bump map.
http://zacharyrussellphotography.com/__oneclick_uploads/2008/10/baked.jpg

This is what I have added since that post.

closeupbarrels1.jpg

What you think?

Replies