Home General Discussion

Love Trailer

Uly
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Uly polycounter lvl 17
I've been paying attention to this game for a while now, and yesterday, the first trailer was posted at Rock Paper, Shotgun. What the game is actually about is up for discussion, but holy fuck, the art.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2008/10/15/love-video/

love_city7.jpg

Replies

• Michael Knubben
    Hah, I just came here to post about it.

I mostly wanted to hear the opinion of other artists.

My opinion of it --so far-- is that it looks terrible. The intent seems good, and if the gameplay reflects that need to make things special, then it might even be lots of fun, but I don't think this looks good.
    Also, the combat looked absolutely bog-standard, and reading interviews with the creator reminds me of Peter Molyneux or Derek Smart, with phrases like 'procedural storytelling'. Not a good thing, that.
  • Ferg
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    I've been watching this game for a while, I really love the art style they have going on. The gameplay doesn't look like anything particularly compelling... My interest in this game is almost entirely as an artist, not a gamer.

It looks mainly like a pretty playground for people on drugs.
  • ebagg
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    It's simCopter!!! Oh wait...

I don't know, I suppose the graphics have a unique art style but I wouldn't say an awesome one like that of TF2, Shadow of the Collosus or Okami. Kind of reminds me of Voxel-based games, remember those from the mid to late 90s??

voxels_outcast.jpg
  • Tulkamir
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    Yea, I'm a bit skeptical at the moment here as well. The art looks great at some parts, but the gameplay leaves me feeling a bit worried.

Super impressive to be done by one guy though.

Hopefully there's more to the game than what I got the impression of from that video, and it's more than just a pretty tech demo.
  • Michael Knubben
    Note that the screenshot doesn't seem to be representative of the game, either. The filters in use seem to change every so often, and the most recent stuff --as shown in the video-- looks to be the worst still.
    I realise this is a breath of fresh air when compared to modern games, in terms of looks, but this is hardly the only game with bright graphics, and I think he fails at his goal of making it look 'like art'.
  • Thegodzero
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    mmmm voxels....
  • Kevin Albers
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Albers polycounter lvl 18
    I think the developer has bitten off more than he can chew, unless I misunderstand the potential scope of the game. It's great that he is trying to do something cool as a lone developer, but he probably should be working on a much more concise game if he is going to do everything by himself (or he should wrangle up some financing and get a team going).
  • Wells
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    it has a nice color palette...
  • EarthQuake
  • rooster
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    hmmm.
    every screenshot I've seen of it has made me more interested, but the video was rather different to what I was expecting/hoping for
  • Swizzle
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    Wow, they seriously need to do something about all the flickery crap all over that video. Filters are good when they're subtle and simply enhance the experience, but flickering everywhere is just plain bad.
  • Luxury
    Offline / Send Message
    Luxury polycounter lvl 18
    i like the music.