Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

PolyFolio, kinda

polycounter lvl 16
Offline / Send Message
Indecom polycounter lvl 16
I've finally uploaded my portfolio site, full of 2d and 3d works i've made over the years.

Feel free to browse it and tell me if you think i should add or remove some works!

igameart.com

Replies

• Deathead
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wait a minute are you the indecom from TGC? Hey its me deathead from there.
  • Indecom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea, thats me. been a long time since i've been there. Havent used gm in a while actually.
  • Deathead
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, I must say it has gone down hill while you was gone, you had a modeller who couldn't take critism, going off on one and making a website, so its gone pretty downhill. But I remember seeing your work over at TGC I was amazed, at what I saw.
  • Indecom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yea, i use polycount for my 3d stuff now. that site was okay for a while but i didnt get the crit i really wanted. I've met some pretty good people here who have helped me out.
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    I lost my Wacom pen once and man was it painful to pay like 60 bucks for a new one.

Your stuff looks good, but much of it is too WIP for a portfolio in my opinion.

Also, I would always show my best work first to get peoples attention,
    the texture you did for Bobo's demon looks great, I really like how that turned out the best.
    Probably my least favorite is the Legion Demon, because the anatomy doesn't really make sense with all those blobby bits. Since you lost the model anyways, I would just ditch it.

Can't wait to see you work more on these though, keep it up!
  • Indecom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the reply. One thing i didnt like about that legion demon was his anatomy, and i ended up redesigning it on paper and the model was deleted before i could make the changes. So i may just end up redoing the model some time in the future.

Keep your eyes peeled, i'll be updating some things pretty soon.
  • Dante1217
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ROFL HE HAS A PENIS!!!!! xD xD xD LOL ROFLMAO

lol jk, messing with ya

nice stuff ^_^
  • artstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artstream polycounter lvl 11
    Echoing what Brad said, the texture work on Bobo's demon is top notch work, so I would put that first. Second best piece would be the demon once it's finished---only crit is that his head is large for the body, and it makes it look a bit as if it's a demon child. You could either shrink the head or make the body larger and you'd have a second strong piece.
  • Indecom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've had that comment before on the head, and have changed it since then, but i need to redownload xnormal to get some more shots. Its been a while since i've worked on that guy, and i wanted to save it until i got a new pen, so i can continue in the same level of detail. Right now that list there is in chronological order, however, i'll order them in based on their wow factor by the time i upload them to a working portfolio.
  • jogshy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jogshy polycounter lvl 17
    Omg, shader model 1 :p
  • Indecom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea, my computer only supports 1.3

EDIT:
    Imp texture wip, think its coming nicely so far. Work is slow though, i really miss my pen T_T
    render3.png
  • wizo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    man, that imp texturing is looking ace! nice works!
  • Indecom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, havent done much with him since that shot. working up the creative strength to go on without my tablet......
  • Indecom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Whoa, found more stuff i made on turbosquid i forgot about. these are old, but complete characters, as in modeled and textured, no rigs for these as of the date of these images:

ogre%20sale%20pitch%201.bmpc017a0c7-5cef-4ffa-b28a-e741f4f91d16Large.jpg

zombie1.bmpe7f3a25d-11aa-4144-abe3-187549a850daLarge.jpg
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    that last one is priceless
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    right now your folio is very inconsistent only having 10% of completed assets , one beeing a SDK and a weapon for quake1 ( wich btw doesnt impress because its just plain ) . I would advise to texture your models and work on the muddiness of the shapes you got .

And you can still make perfect textures without wacom pen , that isnt an excuse not to texture your models , and also generate ambient oclusion for your models too , right now they are VERY flat.

keep working and dont give up and texture that stuff :)
  • Indecom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I know, i'm definitely planning on texturing, but i guess part of my problem is that i'm trying to do to much at once. Trying to get an online portfolio put together, so i'm trying to do a bunch of things at once to add to it, and slightly overwhelming myself in the process. I'm going to start by finishing the imp's texture, then move on to whatever possibly my ds spec character then i'll see from there.
  • Indecom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I got myself a new tablet today, however now my computer is out of commission, due to hardware issues, i installed the tablet onto my cousins computer and await my new machine which should be here in about 2 weeks.

Testing out the tablet, which is a genius mousepen, not wacom, with a 8*6 working area and 1024 levels of pressure sensitivity, twice the size and 4 times the levels of my last tablet for pretty much the same price as my old tab. So, i did this draing in aobut ten minutes in gimp to test it out, just something quick and simple, no direction before hand, just a random drawing:

mousepentest.png

Damn guys i might have lost a bit of my work, my slave drive seems to have corrupted itself. I'll find out later for sure, but i had to disconnect it to get my computer to turn on.
  • Indecom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, i'm updated the first post with a link to a simple portfolio test, read the post and tell me what you think.
  • cparrish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cparrish polycounter lvl 18
    I would cut the portfolio down to just 1 page of 9. it is only as strong as the weakest link and right now there are a bunch.

-Compile all of your little armor bits onto 1 image.
    -for sure cut the knight/demon concepts, the forest demon concept, the UI mockup, and the alien sketch at the begining.
    -then cut a couple more to fit onto a single view page.
    -Also make sure there is contact info and a link to a resume, even if you are sending that in separate.
  • Indecom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alright, thanks for the suggestions. What i'm going to do is go through everything i've done, and everything i have and pick the best out of it all, organize it into 3 or so small groups, then have a single page that will link them all as well as show contact information and a resume.
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    booo bandwidth exceeded
  • Indecom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Try it again, it just worked for me.
  • Indecom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Making some changes to how the gallery is laid out, and building what will eventually be my full portfolio site :)

all i can say is its about time! lol
  • CounterSeal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CounterSeal polycounter lvl 10
    Hey Indecom, did you do these in your spare time or are you a recent graduate?
  • Indecom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    All of these are my spare time, tought myself everything i know with help from tutorials and friends i've managed to find here on polycount.
  • Daaark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daaark polycounter lvl 17
    I love that last model, but never show off your work on a bright cyan background, it's just insanity. Use a dark grayish color.
  • Indecom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You men that cartoony zombie guy? lol. Thats not really even something i want to show in my portfolio lol. Its just something i've made figured i'd show you guys.
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    Everythign works great :D just read jhonnys comment, and thats what i tell everyone who says that making textures with a mouse dont cut it, with a link to his portfolio ofcourse :P
    You should clean that unwrap on that knight dude. show some professionalism-ism. Make the magic wand in PS your friend

Wordpress ftw! im on a broadband with dialup speed so i had to wait quite abit :P

P.S
    YAY, another fellow self-taught artist!
  • Indecom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    K cleaned up the texture, need to reup it however :P
  • ploon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice portfolio man, some nice texturing going on there :)
  • monkeyboy_garth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monkeyboy_garth polycounter lvl 9
    I think there is a huge gulf between your best work and the rest. Your texturing on your troll-dong guy and bobo's model is great. I'd ditch all of your icons and almost all of your illustrations. Some of that stuff is just a bit confusing and I wonder why you'd have it in your folio. Blurry sketches, tiny icons, the echelon_capinstrucions pic (???), DS Render 2 pic, and the girl pleasuring herself...just why? I could go on.

I think the pieces that relate to each other should also have thumbnails grouped together.

If I was coming to your folio cold, I would start to think that your good stuff was swiped from someone else. There's that big a difference in your folio work that it makes you wonder.

I hope this helps. Your new work is great and if all your pieces were like this, you'd have a fantastic texture art portfolio.
  • Indecom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh hahaha, she's not actually pleasuring herself, haha umm, she's covering herself, in the original drawing she had underwear on, and i was commissioned to remove it
  • _Gr9yFox_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    _Gr9yFox_ polycounter lvl 10
    For some reason the link only leads me to a blank page. I am using Firefox 3.
  • Indecom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea, i've uploaded the whole portfolio website as of last night, and my frame code is messing it up for some browsers, well, for all browsers that arent google chrome, so if you really want to see it before i can get that problem fixed, download google chrome, its a great browser anyways.

Okay so i fixed that problem now i'm having a css problem that seems to be only in firefox browsers, so for now open it up in internet explorer until i can get it fixed
  • monkeyboy_garth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monkeyboy_garth polycounter lvl 9
    Hey...much better. Still not sure about most of your 2d stuff - looks bad when you have strangely cropped and blurry sketches as some of your best 2d pieces. With your 3d stuff - great, just show more!

*EDIT*
    Just a thought...not sure if you really need to say '15 years experience in concept art', '13 years experience in modeling/texturing', '5 years project design and coordination' because your folio doesn't really reflect those years of experience.
  • Indecom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, i need to get myself a scanner for those blurry pieces, they are really some of my best works, i'm just like, broke, haha!

Okay fixed up all the html and css problems!
  • Indecom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The site is officially up and running with a proper domain, igameart.com!
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the oldschool menu, hah. It cuts off the guy at the bottom though, who I'm not sure should even be there.
    Also, I noticed you do a lot of very thing white lines to shade stuff, and it doesn't always work. It could be a base for something great, but I think the lines suggest laziness, as a bit of extra work could make the work pop more.
    Also, finish that red demon, or don't include it.
    The first work in your 2d section is better than the terrible (sorry) image of a girl you had there before, and it's good that you've grouped the sprites, but there's still stuff in there that could seriously dampen my enthousiasm about your 3d work. If one part of your website drags another down, take it out!
    And get your linework scanned at a library, a friends place or a printshop, and clean it up in photoshop afterwards. Make it look presentable!
  • Indecom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll go ahead and remove those two blurry drawings from there, as for that little guy in the corner, i can replace him with a thinner website logo and then just add him to my 2d section of the site. As for the thin white line shading, Do you mean on my armor texture? I was following Some advice that said if i keep medium shading to a minimum and just stick to the highlights it will produce a more metalic look, since that was my first time actually hand texturing armor.
  • Indecom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    K i've made some more changes, and might actually redo my navbar as well, and repost the current navbar in my 2d gallery, replace it with something that matches the crumpled paper and ink style i've got going on there maybe, might even replace the gray green background with something like cork board maybe? we'll see.
  • cparrish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cparrish polycounter lvl 18
    turned out really nice. the handwritten notes and the left button UI clash a bit but thats fine it works.
  • Indecom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea there is a bit of a clash in there, which i may just end up changing, using the guy thats there now in my 2d gallery.

Okay so i just updated the section in my 2d gallery with more sprite work i've done, including a small section of a minimal resolution side scroller rpg environment i was working on a while ago, and replaced that flat colored 2d knight guy with a couple finished pixels of him, better detail and actual shading. As well as actually adding a new image to the 2d section show casing some of the textures i've created over the years, still need to gather more to add though.