Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[portfolio] Laurens Corijn

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
Hello all! I'm new here, been lurking from time to time but decided to register now (had some problems with the disabled registration earlier but that's sorted now).
I just had my portfolio website finished a few days ago. Took a while but finally it's done since we need one to find our school internship (which I'm looking for at the moment).
Here's the link: http://laurenscorijn.com

I'm a bit nervous honestly, as I never really had all my work publicly criticized on a prestigious board like PC. The website you can give feedback on, but I really do hope no one will have major gripes with it: I really hold a good, clean, user-friendly site in high regard. The only thing still missing I think is a PDF resume. But anyway, let's hear it guys!

Replies

• SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    no-need to be nervous, some great stuff in there, esp like the ship and drone type thing esp the drone, the cat aswell looks cool, and has a good sense of character.

one of thing i noticed, volvo could do with interior, even if its dark and uses a tiny part of texture, something inside behind some dirty windows would help alot.

nice site by the way simple clear and good looking
  • rhoymand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah you've got some great pieces in there. I'd love to see more wireframes though. also, just wondering from a technical standpoint, doesn't a 2048 diffuse/spec/norm map defeat the purpose of a lowpoly 4k car?

love the final pose for the cat btw =3
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the swift replies and nice comments already guys!
    On the Volvo: I did that within the specs of my course's 1st year 3D exam: 4k lowpoly truck, no limits on texture (silly but hey). I decided to use my 4K polygons on the exterior, but I'm used to doing car interiors. The texture does hold up nicely when resized to 1024, maybe I should mention that. It's just that I like to work large and worry about resizing later.

And I already thought about adding more wires. My website's PHP doesn't support adding images to a page afterward though so I'll have to resubmit them once I get some time.
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    damn dude- I LOVE your mechanical design. I have a feeling your going to develop into a badass. your designs have a lot of ommph even though technically they are a little rough. clean that up and you`ll be unstopable
  • Marcan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marcan polycounter lvl 12
    Hey Laurens,

good looking stuff you've got in there. That's a website how I love them: clean, simple, effective. You've pretty much nailed all the basics for a non-frustrating website.

As far as the work go, it's nice. I'd like to see more stuff though, especially wireframe (already mentioned.) I'd also remove work in progress stuff, as they don't really show anything, just unfinished work more than anything.

One last thing, although a more personal taste: I'd remove that personal interest section at the end of your resume, that's the kind of stuff you'd mention in an interview but that HR people don't really bother reading.

All in all, good job and I wish you the best for your internship!
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks a lot for the kind words again!
    Kostruct - wow thank you, I'm a big fan of your stuff myself, especially your APC I find very inspiring. And by the roughness you mean my painting skills or the designs themselves ?
    Marcan - Thankyou, glad to hear my website realy goes down well. And the WIP projects aren't really there for much purpose other than to show what I'm working on; they're meant more towards friends and people interested in what I do than towards employers.
    And the personal interest section, I added that after my Internship supervisor at school told me to add that to the resume. It's a bit cobbled together perhaps.
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bluekangaroo polycounter lvl 13
    thats some kickass work you got there. You should be getting paid to do this stuff, forget about the internship!
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    I agree with EricV. I saw you post this thread before it got any comments and I didn't bother commenting because I cant find anything to criticize. Good work man!
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well that's really good to hear guys. But I have to do this school internship anyway, no degree for me if I don't. Sucks though, so far I get either no reply at all or "sorry no internships", almost as if I'd have more chance applying for a regular position :/
  • PixelGoat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelGoat polycounter lvl 12
    I dont see why you shouldnt be able to count a paying job as your "internship" time.
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bluekangaroo polycounter lvl 13
    Xoliul wrote: »
    Well that's really good to hear guys. But I have to do this school internship anyway, no degree for me if I don't. Sucks though, so far I get either no reply at all or "sorry no internships", almost as if I'd have more chance applying for a regular position :/

seems that way for me too right now, except im not looking for internships
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    yeah you know I`m not sure what I was talking about when I said technically. gotta check myself on being a little overly critical. I things that irked me was all the seam work around the window on the green ship, also some of the angles on that window seem a but jagged- and the bug seemed a tad too boxy.- but yeah just minor knit picks. those designs are slick reguardless--
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mega KICK!

I've been working on revamping the site for the past days. Overal slickness should be drastically better, and I limited the work on the frontpage to my very best, dropping almost 3 quarters. I did have a blog added, so i'll (re)post stuff there.

Link again: http://www.laurenscorijn.com/

Let's hear it!
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    still looks awesome, but I can't see anything other then you know how to model vehicles. :)
  • ArtsyFartsy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This stuff is very good for someone who just finished school. Your foundation is definitely solid, even though you make some mistakes that we all made when laying out our first portfolio.

The main issue is that you continue to use way too much texture space. Custom specular maps are also not noticeable, and you could achieve the same result with the standard material sliders. I would get rid of the explanations you have for each piece because you're bragging about things that are unnecessary and inefficient.

In general you have to many beauty shots, and not enough technical views of your geometry, UV layout, and maps.

Why only cars? You're limiting yourself to a very very narrow segment of game development.

Resume is still somewhat verbose. Try to simplify.

Despite all that, you've got substantial skills and should be able to land something soon.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I know it's just cars, but well, I'm not exactly looking for a job, and if I would be looking for one, it certainly wouldn't be a character job ;)
    However, I am waiting until my work from my internship moves out of NDA so I can show that (mostly not cars). I just feel my other work is not up to par with what I'm showing now. Quality is my measure instead of diversity.

And ArtsyFartsy, i feel like you're misinterpreting some things. Who ever said i'm bragging about things? I feel that's a bit harsh for me trying to be honest on texture sizes. I know they're big, but I also know I have no problem whatsoever creating efficiently textured assets, as I did at my internship.

I do agree that showing texturesheets would be good, I think i'll do that now. edit: done!

And this is the first time somebody told me to drop the explanations? I personally like seeing these with other people; some background info on the subject, polycount, texturesizes.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    keep the technical specs, it only gets iffy when you describe what you felt while making it in 300 words or more, unless its a really artsy piece :) It helps get a good idea of efficiency when dealing with real time art, and shows you watch the technical specs. You could also put that info on the images themselves (polycounts).

As far as background info, its mostly ok, just keep it brief. I like seeing that stuff too, but it gets old and some people may take it the wrong way, if the description is super long and involved. Others may like that though, shows you put a lot of time and thought into it (that is, unless the description is completely irrelevant). Most importantly for descriptions: if you were inspired by someone else's concept, work, etc, its good to put there so people don't flat out scream "THEFT!! OMG ART THEIFF!" which people tend to do pretty quickly.