Home General Discussion

DSi, Wiimakes, SD-storage 'solution'

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
flaagan polycounter lvl 18
Anyone else think Nintendo's just doing a "me too!" and attempting to cover their ass?

The whole wiimakes thing makes me real glad I sold off my Wii, cause I didn't buy the damn thing in the first place to be wow'd by a nonstop torrent of old games dumped onto a 'new' system.

The DSi announcement makes me wish I'd never bothered buying a DS, and makes me wonder why I did in the first place since I hardly ever play anything on it.

I dunno, this whole current generation of what Nintendo has had to offer just has not impressed me at all, and all the extra items they've tacked on over the while has made me think they've lost the coolness they used to possess. :thumbdown:

Replies

• Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    Well I guess the shed's light on RockBand 2 for Wii being able to have online modes and DLC songs
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    New stuff coming out makes you second-guess your initial purchase?

I agree that the DSi isn't a shocking revelation, but what about the announcement made you suddenly go 'haaang on... I don't even USE my ds. Fuck you Nintendo!'?

If anything, it's just another way to keep the ds alive. Nobody who has a DS lite will really need the DSi (although some people will certainly believe otherwise), but for those who don't have any DS (phat or lite), why not go for the DSi?
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    The DSi has new software that will only work with the DSi... Knowing Nintendo, that means that all the new games people will want to play, will be DSi games, like the new Mario and Luigi Super Star Saga.

So, everybody will buy another DSi, just like they did the DS Lite...

But I'm not falling for it this time. My DS is perfectly fine apart from the god awful DPad. If I cant play the new Mario and Luigi on it I'll be gutted, but I wont buy a DSi. Nintendo really are starting to take the piss.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I did wonder if they'd make the camera integral to any Nintedo-developed games. It seems to me like they'd do something entirely different if they were breaking compatibility with the DS, so I hope that won't be the case. I mean, if the new mario-game or whatever would only work on this new thing, you'd expect them to really go for it, and to develop a ds2, rather than this incremental update.

Since that seems unlikely to be the case, I think you're just being a tad dramatic, Odium. I mean, what was there to 'fall for' with the ds lite? Nothing at all forced you to switch, games that work on the lite work on the original ds.

Anyway, where did you hear about the DSi having new software, anyway? None of the titles I recognised in the promotional video were DSi exclusive, so I'm just curious.
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    In some parts of the videos I've seen it looks like there is actual texture filtering going on. Would be nice if they got around to doing that, but it could have also been some goofyness with the vid compression. -.-

Regardless, I'll definitely be purchasing one. Probably not at launch, but you know, at some point.
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Oh BTW, the new DSi has TWO touch screens, not one... So you can throw the idea of DSi games working on DS out of the window...
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    Oh cool. I wants. They finally got rid of that GBA slot. New power button. Larger screens. Nice. Music playback and alteration. I wonder how this will affect the homebrew scene? I won't have to use my R4 as much.

edit: oh wow...two touch screens? Sold!

edit2: nevermind. odium is just being a douche spreading rumors.
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    I don't care for the new DSi. I have one DS, I don't need to replace it or feel that I should at this time. A couple nice features like the integrated web browser. The saving to SD on the Wii is nice, but why is it going to take until spring 2009 for it to be available? And honestly it's not a great solution to the lack of space issue. It's more something that should have been available since day one.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    odium wrote: »
    Oh BTW, the new DSi has TWO touch screens, not one... So you can throw the idea of DSi games working on DS out of the window...

source? this isn't true.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There's only one touchscreen. You'd do well not to buy into every rumour you hear. The dual touchscreen-rumour has been floating around for a while now, but turned out to be false.

So, again: Any source for your previous statement about 'new software'? (by which I think you meant 'new games that only work on DSi')?
  • seven
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    MightyPea wrote: »
    There's only one touchscreen. You'd do well not to buy into every rumour you hear. The dual touchscreen-rumour has been floating around for a while now, but turned out to be false.

So, again: Any source for your previous statement about 'new software'? (by which I think you meant 'new games that only work on DSi')?

Well think about it, the new DS has a camera built in, some its highly likely that some games will use the camera in various ways for various things. They obviously wont work on the old DS?
  • nitzmoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nitzmoff polycounter lvl 18
    I love the ds more than any system and the prospect of Nintendo allowing homebrew games to go 'official' via DSWare is awesome. What's not to like?
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For me, the 'wiz-bang-wow' of every Nintendo product I've purchased since the 'cube has quickly worn off and left me wondering why I bought it.

There has only been one game that compelled me to play it, and that was RE4.
  • Eclipse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eclipse polycounter lvl 18
    Well think about it, the new DS has a camera built in, some its highly likely that some games will use the camera in various ways for various things. They obviously wont work on the old DS?

On the same token the new DS will not play old DS games like Guitar Hero, no GBA slot means no Guitar Grip.

Personally I think this was a waste of R&D time and money for Nintendo, but if it keeps the DS alive another 3-5 years, thats cool I guess, I like the low polyness of it and the things companies can make with it is really awesome :D.

I just read that this so called storage solution was simple that you can download directly to the SD card and that transferring to the Wii would be made "easier". That is total BS! It's not hard to transfer now, just annoying as hell and this is not a solution it is a load of crap. What seriously was useful about anything Nintendo did today DAMN! DSi is nothing worth upgrading for, really, it's not. Besides the DS Lite was the number 1 selling device everywhere O_O. There was no need for this! Ok, I need to calm it down before I get all fanboy. Sorry for the rant.
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Fuck yeah, I forgot about that, my rumble pack wont work... What the fuck?
  • kwakkie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kwakkie polycounter lvl 12
    So basically you'd be buying an iPhone with the screen split in two, stripped the multitouch and only enable some single-touch on half of the screen, then replace the camera with one that takes pictures at one tenth the resolution, take out the GPS capabilities, remove all motion sensing and gyro stuff, take out the hd and replace it with an SD card slot, remove the phone features, replace the processor with the processor of the 1st generation iPods etc etc etc bla bla bla

Seriously, how the hell do they expect handheld gaming consoles to stay succesfull the next few years if they aren't innovating/moving on, when the cellphone manufactures ARE innovating and moving on? I can totally see handheld console become obsolete in the next few years, if all they can come up with are pieces of shit like these...

Edit: also, how do they expect developers to get excited for stuff like this?

Nintendo: Hey you crazy US/Euro guys, we have added new features to the DS, so go make some crazy games you european bastards!
    Developers: *Yay!* You mean you have upgraded the system specs so we can now make games that can handle more than a 512x512 texture and 2000 triangles on screen?
    Nintendo: Uhmmm.. no, but the screen size has increased!!!!
    Developer: WOOHOO!!! So we can finally make our games for more than a 256 x 192 resolution?
    Nintendo: Well..... actually.... You'd be having the same resolution, but the DPI has DECREASED...
    Developer: Then... what did you actually IMPROVE?
    Nintendo: We added a camera so you can now print your face on a pokemanz kekekekeke!!!!11!!1
    Developer: Whoa, thats nice, so youve added extra memory to store the video/photos you can make with it?
    Nintendo: Lol you so funny mister! We made it a 0.3 megapixel camera, so a file will only be 20kb which means people can use an SD card lolololol!
    Developer: WTF?
    Nintendo: Lol, we made a deal with the salvation army: instead of sending their collected used old mobile phones to africa, we bought them instead! Then we ripped out all of the cameras and SD cards and put them in our DS you dummy!
    Developer: Holy shit, how are we supposed to sell our games on this?
    Nintendo: Lol noob, we did the same thing for the wii, remember?
    Developer: Allllllright! Well make some shovelware, when can we release it?
    Nintendo: Winter 2009, lolz!
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kwakkie: Oh, agreed. I was hoping for a new handheld from nintendo, while this is only an incremental update like the ds lite was, with some slightly underwhelming design-choices. I wonder whether the store will allow homebrew stuff on it, that would be fucking excellent.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    i was hopeing the I-phone/touch was going to worry Nintendo enough to make them steal some of its features, IE motion sensing and a nice big screen res, filtering and maybe some super thin styling, but NO
  • flaagan
  • nitzmoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nitzmoff polycounter lvl 18
    kwakkie wrote: »
    So basically you'd be buying an iPhone with the screen split in two, stripped the multitouch and only enable some single-touch on half of the screen, then replace the camera with one that takes pictures at one tenth the resolution, take out the GPS capabilities, remove all motion sensing and gyro stuff, take out the hd and replace it with an SD card slot, remove the phone features, replace the processor with the processor of the 1st generation iPods etc etc etc bla bla bla

No, you're buying a game console with some nice extras that has a games library leagues better than anything that this (and arguably the next) iteration of the iphone will ever see.

It's a Nintendo toy- it plays awesome games. That's all really. If I can also store music and take silly pictures with it, great.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shep: amusingly enough, I think the DS lite/DSi is actually more Apple than the iPhone, which I find a bit bland looking, to the point of it being ugly.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If we're doing an iphone / ds comparison, then I have to be honest that I've had more fun playing free games on my iPod touch than I have playing the paid-for games on my DS.
  • kwakkie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kwakkie polycounter lvl 12
    nitzmoff wrote: »
    No, you're buying a game console with some nice extras that has a games library leagues better than anything that this (and arguably the next) iteration of the iphone will ever see.
    Dude seriously, the iPhone supports openGL! Ask any coder how what would be easier to make games for lol ;)

Anyway, if I wasnt clear, I wasnt really making a statement as in 'the iphone is better'. I was trying to convey that by the time the DSi releases here, most mobile phones will be better suited as gaming devices than that by then. I think its a shame they arent moving towards an all-in multimedia device, while the phone-manufacturers seem to know what its about and are making mobile phones more than just 'a' portable device, but 'the only' portable device you need in the future.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwakkie: Nitzmof's point wasn't how easy it is, it was that the DS has a magnificent library of games available for it. The iphone err.. doesn't (yet).

Flaagan: which games would those be? I don't have an iPhone myself, but everything I've seen/played so far has been fairly underwhelming.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    Oh come on people. Who here didn't see this coming from several miles off? Nintendo is iterating on a wildly successful handheld system design? Shock and awe. This has been their modus operandi since they originally launched the GameBoy. This was a painfully predictable announcement.

All the hoopla some of you are making over the changes in the hardware are laughable. Game developers will largely ignore the camera, even if it is possible to integrate it into gameplay. No major developer would dream of alienating the lion's share of their potential customers over a single added hardware feature.

The only real news here is that the GBA slot is going away, and a SD card slot will be taking its place. In the long run, this will be for the best. Guitar Hero on the DS is the only meaningful franchise that will suffer from this. And the inclusion of built-in support for external storage opens the door to downloadable games, something that the DS has been ideal for from the beginning. Honestly, I'm just surprised it took Nintendo this long. An SD card slot should have been on the Lite.

And I'm certainly looking forward to see what this will mean for homebrew coding. The iPhone, iPod touch is the only handheld platform that actually supports and even encourages homebrew development. If Nintendo begins pushing such initiatives of their own for the DS, then more power to them. (and to any clever coders out there who will take advantage of it)
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    MightyPea wrote: »
    Shep: amusingly enough, I think the DS lite/DSi is actually more Apple than the iPhone, which I find a bit bland looking, to the point of it being ugly.

you want some Itouch (first gen) sexy slab of sommit

also the Iphone/touch is in early stage, i se both your points, ive got quite a few free games, some of whish are simple but excellnt (labarynth) and show some promise in the control method, but so far the only game ive paid for (supermonkey ball) has been quite underwhelming, cos the control method just isnt as good. but i do see it as an interesting bit of competition for nintendo, which face it, needs a little competition
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19

please don't talk shit. It doesn't have two touch screens.