Home General Discussion

Max VS. Maya

sorry if there is already a topic bout this.
just vote and leave your comment, what and why?

i choose Max only cuz thats all ive used, but ive only been doing 3d for 1 1/2 years (im almost 16) and alot of ppl say i should learn maya for the hair and cloth ect. ect. but im not sure. whats you opinion?

Replies

• ericleekessler
    i'm sure one will always be biased to the program they use the most, but i have always found maya to be quicker and more efficient to model in straight from the start. everything can be done right on the hotkeys and mouse, eliminated almost all outside UI interaction. My opinion though.
  • dur23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dur23 polycounter lvl 19
    Learn em all and make up your own damn mind. ;)
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's a debate we've have a few times. It always seems to come up.

Its pretty much just different buttons and mouse clicks to do the same things. Different skin on the same animal.

Each package has a few areas it shines in but you really have to start digging into them both to find any real meaningful differences and when you do there is probably a plug-ins or scripts that ports that functionality from one app into the other. So they pretty much come out even on all fronts.

Hair and cloth is 3dsmax almost works exactly the same way as it does in Maya. It is also included in the core package and doesn't cost extra. Maya does some things for you with dynamics that you don't have to mess with but really they can both pull off the same thing and they both suck in the same areas.

The best way to compare isn't really to ask biased people which they prefer. There are some pretty hardcore camps set up for both sides and they like to fling poo. Try them both out, fairly. Long enough to formulate your own opinion and see they're pretty much the same.

They are just tools, not a king you pledge your allegiance too. Think of them more as a set of standard and metric wrenches. Any craftsman worth his weight have a set of both and is stupid to turn down jobs that require one or the other. It's pointless to shut yourself off to potential jobs because your too busy waving the flag for your camp.
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    I go with Maya and if i had to change (not that i need) I would choose XSI instead of Max.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    Dante1217 wrote: »
    i choose Max only cuz thats all ive used,

that's normal.
    dur23 wrote: »
    Learn em all and make up your own damn mind. ;)

Agreed. Try learning XSI as well. Being adept in at least 2 of them should increase your chance of employment. Also, it depends on the type or work you want to do.
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    Ow, and ofcourse this poll Max will win, because 65% of the game market uses Max, if people knew more XSI and more people were used to Maya, would be different, its a matter of marketing.

But anyway, yes, Elysium is right, choose 2 and learn both, this way you have knowledge to work in whatever company you would like to.

(btw, if you want to work at Blizzard some day, they are already switching to Maya)
  • raven5326
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maya should be switched over to the game industry, so many more options and its actually debuggable.....
  • ThatDon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ThatDon polycounter lvl 11
    Learn both, it's a small inconvenience but it greatly improves your marketability to companies.
  • Dante1217
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tnx for the feedback, and i think i will learn both...tho i need to buy maya first xD
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    bah, just learn one doesn't take too long to switch over
  • stimpack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stimpack polycounter lvl 10
    I know and use both. I prefer max of the two. simply put, max does everything you need to model and texture with out having to shelf buttons, or write lil scripts. Maya is inconvenient in its button placement, and can only be speed up by making your own tool shelf. if im gonna use a default program, it will be max. if i get to spend time and customize, i will use maya. havent tried xsi yet, but i hear alot of good things.
  • Rob Galanakis
  • Funky Bunnies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Funky Bunnies polycounter lvl 17
    Yeah, I agree with Justin. If you learn one well it'll be easy to switch whenever you need/want to. The differences are usually pretty minimal in the longrun.
  • ElysiumGX
  • BARBEERIAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I prefer Max, mainly because I find Maya's controls very carpal tunnel inducing. 8 hours of Max is no biggie, but 8 hours of Maya and my wrist feels like it's gonna fall off.
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    My $0.02. I've found some beauteous things in max, though I still don't like its basic workflow.
    Benefits I see so far, where each app is superior to the other. Mind you I haven't gotten into max too far.

Maya: MEL, Hypergraph, Hypershade, UV editor, Viewport navigation(personal preference)
    Max: Skin modifier, Turbo smooth, modifier stack, Biped, viewport shader support
  • greenj2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For modeling purposes, I'd say Max or XSI > Maya. Although almost every animator I know prefers to use Maya over Max or XSI.

Straight out of the box I think Max wins hands down, the amount of customization and mel scripts you need to make Maya equally functional is absurd. Although for some reason I prefer Maya's viewport navigation to Max's. :P

If you ask me they both suck, Maya just sucks a bit harder...
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    learn all apps! all have its advantages/disadvantages, they are very similar.

I dropped Max/Xsi a few years ago to use Modo mainly... for modelling it's the best app i have ever used in years. Tiny, fast, powerful and not so expensive.

I also have been using Maya for some years (now must be better, for sure), and knowing almost all 3d apps, my weapon of choice is the best that fits with me, Modo :D.

This is the eternal war, a matter of tastes :D. You like Maya? good for you, you like Max? better for u! i like modo and don't try to sell me Max, Maya or XSI! :D
  • Dante1217
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    see, i would learn them all. but im only 15 (almost 16) and i cant afford to buy a copy of each one... i won max 2009 in a competiton and ive used Maya b4 but just on my friends comp. (crackjoe if ur reading this, that friend is anthony (the other annoying intern))
  • Brettzies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    see, i would learn them all. but im only 15 (almost 16) and i cant afford to buy a copy of each one... i won max 2009 in a competiton and ive used Maya b4 but just on my friends comp. (crackjoe if ur reading this, that friend is anthony (the other annoying intern))
    Some other boards really discourage software discussions and there are reasons to, but it's also an important decision for people to make and you can go down the wrong path. Just looking at a stat sheet isn't going to help much, so I'm always open to discussing it, because personal advice and experience goes a long way. I try to be objective but we all have our favorites.

Ultimately it is whatever is most comfortable for the user or what you are forced to use at work. Sometimes you really don't have a choice, you just use what is given to you and get so good at it that you "think" it's the best. Mostly because you know where all the buttons are and can get done what you want very quickly.

Max is a good solid progam to learn so if that's what you have then go for it. Personally, it's last on my list of programs I'd want to use, and I have used it in production before. At first I thought it was cool because of all the gadgets and buttons you could push, modifiers, etc, but then I realized how conveluted it is. Just not my thing, but I don't knock it's ability to produce good work.

I started with Lightwave5.5 and it is a great program for modeling and rendering. Very easy and fast to get good results, but horrible for animation. Newer versions are probably better but it still looks like the anim part is clunky. Last time I used it was v8. I only bring this up to show the tanget paths you can go down. I don't regret learning Lightwave because it built a lot of good generalist skills, but it also wasn't well suited to what I wanted to do, animation.

Modo is what Lightwave should have evolved into which is why the modeling is so strong. I never used it, but I always thought it was cool.

I'm an animator so I've used Maya for years now. When I first switched to it, I felt like a dumb-ass for not doing it sooner. Felt like I wasted 2 or 3 years with Lightwave/Messiah:Animate. I really like the Maya workfow, even for modeling, but especially for rigs and animation. Of course, now that I'm comfortable with it, I fall into that category of knowing how to use it efficiently and don't see many downsides. There's no reason to switch for me. XSI may be better in ways but not enough to switch for me and I have used that in production as well.

This would be my recommendation:

If you just want to animate, learn maya.
    If you want a good all around 3d app, learn xsi.
    If you want to work at a specific game studio that uses max, learn max.
    If you just want to make models, it doesn't matter that much, you can do it in all of them, but ultimately you might have to switch for work.

You can't really go wrong learning Max, but if you're at the point where you can "decide" a bit, a wouldn't hurt to look into some of the learning version. XSI even has a free stripped down "modder's" version.
  • Flynny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flynny polycounter lvl 9
    Learn all of them.
    Seriously, atleast have a bloody good dabble in all 3 major apps since all 3 i believe have demo versions.
    As said previously all 3 are so simialar with clicky buttons but all 3 have a totally different approach and mentality.

Coming from animation purely, XSI and Maya are a bloody god send, MAX just drives me wild with incarnal rage. But I know alot more animators who find it the other way.

But off the bat, Max i hear is brilliant for modelling because of its approach, its all about the details, go learn.
  • greenj2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some good points made here so far.

As a guy who went from Max to Maya, it's particularly interesting to me whenever I hear Maya guys saying they find the Max modeling work-flow cumbersome.

After switching to Maya, once I'd customized some hotkeys and got set up with mel-scripts, I found the biggest remaining thorn in my side was Maya's mesh-building work-flow. Particularly the constant dependency Maya's scenes have on maintaining order in the Outliner window. In Max I can bash away like crazy in my scene while building my mesh, clone objects, chop and change symmetry modifiers, not bother naming objects/materials, ect. Then just clean the scene up as a final step, when I'm happy with the cosmetic appearance of whatever I'm working on.

Maya on the other hand, can run into serious problems if you don't keep your Outliner window nice and neat, particularly when using instances and mesh smoothing tools. Not to mention the constant periodic need to "freeze transforms" and "delete history" on the objects you're building...

I don't say that to be taken as Maya bashing, I'd be keen to hear a Maya-fiend's thoughts on the matter. Am I doing it wrong?!
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    I prefer Max to Maya.

They both have their strengths and weaknesses.

But the main selling points for me as a modeller, is the skinning in Max (you can tweak the mesh after skinning), the Reset Xform modifier, quality of the Normal Map bake, and numerical transform input (especially helpful in the UV Unwrapper).

In the end though, they usually yield the same results. It's all dependant on the artist, not the program.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    i cant afford to buy a copy of each one

read my last post.

jox wrote: »
    But the main selling points for me as a modeller, is the skinning in Max (you can tweak the mesh after skinning), the Reset Xform modifier, quality of the Normal Map bake, and numerical transform input (especially helpful in the UV Unwrapper).

Those are just as much the same selling points for XSI. You can edit the mesh during and after UV mapping, enveloping and animation. You can freeze your history using a button clearly visible at all times. And Ultimapper gives many options, and a quick preview.
  • Dante1217
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX wrote: »
    read my last post.

Those are just as much the same selling points for XSI. You can edit the mesh during and after UV mapping, enveloping and animation. You can freeze your history using a button clearly visible at all times. And Ultimapper gives many options, and a quick preview.
    ty
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    ElysiumGX wrote: »

Heh, I guess you just described XSI, Max and Maya there.

For me:
    • Max: Fast, non-destructive high-poly modelling, solid viewport, simple (but often limited) scripting tools. Poor consistency and clunky UV integration.
    • Maya: Poor polygon modelling, glitchy viewport, powerful node-based system, hugely customisable interface, powerful scripting tools. STILL no autobackup, doesn't anyone learn? Max has had this system for years and it's awesome. I shouldn't have to script my own system for that.
    • Lightwave: Horribly outdated interface, non-standard UI and controls, lack of smoothing group/normal control. Very cool system for loading/saving multiple separate models in Modeller, something I wish Maya and Max could do.
    • Modo: ?!?! Seems like LW with some nice updates. Still no system for controlling smoothing groups/normals, seriously? People do cool stuff in it though, and it has some nice ideas (integrated texture painting, nice renderer). Not sure about the viewports, can you use custom shaders?
    • XSI: ?!?!?! Never used it, really. The trial I used a year or two ago was limited to 3 display resolutions, wtf? Hopefully they have fixed that now. People say great things about it.

In my experience, I can model, texture, rig, animate, render and script in pretty much any application I need to use. Every app I've tried extensively (Max, Maya, Lightwave) always has several awesome strong points, and usually more laughable weak points.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    big differences for me

UI- maxes is ace for being able to find things just by going to the obvious place, mayas is not tools are placed in menus for workflow, finding things can be a pain but once you have a workflow, the customisation and amout of hidden quick menus speeds up work no end.

viewport- maya isnt as good as max at displaying high density objects but seams much better at thousands of game style objects all with shaders and lighting (very dependant on shader though), also i much preffer mayas viewport navigation, fast and intuitive + doesnt break you workflow like maxes... as a level artist...

UVs- I find mayas simpler and less fancy, faster for simpler things but doesnt have as powerfull tools for organic shapes etc

modelling- max has more tools which are very usefull, but ive learnt to cope with mayas simpler systems and work around that, again ive grown to love some of its core tools, which has improved my hardcore modelling.

customisation- maya wins hands down, although saying that quite a few things that you need to make or get plugins for should really be part of the core program

both are glitchy bastards

I used max for years and years befor moving to maya at my current job, it was a pain to loose so many tools, but i find working in max quite slow when i go back to it,
  • Brettzies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO wrote: »
    viewport- maya isnt as good as max at displaying high density objects but seams much better at thousands of game style objects all with shaders and lighting (very dependant on shader though), also i much preffer mayas viewport navigation, fast and intuitive + doesnt break you workflow like maxes... as a level artist...

customisation- maya wins hands down, although saying that quite a few things that you need to make or get plugins for should really be part of the core program
    These two are BIG for me also. I've used several programs, some propreitary, and Maya was my fourth I think, but I found it's mouse keyboard combo for navigating the viewports to be the best. The graph editor, hypershade, hypergraph, and viewports can all be navigated the same way. The whole thing just feels the most natural. Pan, orbit, zoom. I know you become accustomed to what you use and that probably sounds biased, but I used LW for years and never thought is was as good, and can't stand the Max viewport navigation.

The customization is great too. You don't have to be a hard core programmer to string together a few mel commands, or make a button to pick all ctrls, do repetative tasks, etc. I guess what I like about it is that you can virtually make it function to your personal workflow so easily. I've never been able to do that with other programs.

Of course, not everyone likes that, so it is a bit of personal taste.

I would argue against learning "all" the programs though. There's no reason to. Better to spend your time getting good at what it is you want to do be it model, rig, effects, etc. Even if you want to do it all. I would only switch if you find your current app not good at what it is you want to do or you have to for a job. As much as I like Maya, I kind of think XSI is the best "all-around" app.
  • TWilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TWilson polycounter lvl 18
    Each has their strengths. Get over it.
  • Rob Galanakis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree- don't learn all of them. Learn one, get good with it, switch if needed. People who model 'straight-ahead' ignore the real power of whatever program they are using, there are all sorts of fast and creative solutions that come out but only when you know the ins and outs of the program. Your workflow will naturally become attuned to what program you use, but it is possible to create a strong workflow in any program once you know your way around.

Ceterum censeo Autodesk esse delendam.
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bluekangaroo polycounter lvl 13
    I first used maya for a year and then learnt max and havent looked back. For me max just makes for sense. I feel its more straightforward and I can accomplish what I need to do with more ease than maya.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    They both suck equally.
  • vik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vik polycounter lvl 13
    I like MAX a lot, but some things like that broken selection feature drives me nuts sometimes
  • BrodyB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Modo.

This program gets very little attention, but holy crap do I love its interface and workflow. Right now it only does modeling, UVs, texture painting, and sculpting, but it does them so well. Especially the UV unwrapping: once I got used to Modo's UV tools, I couldn't touch Maya again.

But enough of my gushing.
  • rebb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rebb polycounter lvl 17
    bugo wrote: »
    Ow, and ofcourse this poll Max will win, because 65% of the game market uses Max, if people knew more XSI and more people were used to Maya, would be different, its a matter of marketing.

QFT

Surprised to see the thread remain that civil, which is good :).
    This type of thing often ends up in poo-flinging from all sides based on half-knowledge.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The sad truth is that none of them are perfect, and whether you prefer one over the other depends on what you need most from it, and whether you prefer one interface over another.

MoP already said it better than I could though, so just read his post, and take this as a '+1'
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rebb wrote: »
    QFT

Surprised to see the thread remain that civil, which is good :).
    This type of thing often ends up in poo-flinging from all sides based on half-knowledge.
    Well technically its more complicated then that. If a place is going to switch they have a pipeline to figure out, export tools and proprietary tools to rewrite, staff to retrain. There are more things the apps are used for other then just model/texture props.

The costs could be a few weeks of down time to a few months. If they become a rare dual or triple software studio then they'll probably need a super tech artist, or a small army of mediocre ones or both.

Just because a few more people show up knocking on their door claiming to have 6mo of XSI or Maya under their belt isn't a significant force to move them off a piece of software they've been using.

While change does come from more people being in the loop about other software packages. It rarely comes fast enough for someone to forgo learning the popular packages and blaze ahead with the under appreciated app of their choice.

Give each one 2-3mo, stick to your favorite and stay current in the others. Avoid joining the polarized camps that never try the other apps.

And why hasn't there been a bigger fuss about Silo in this thread has it even been brought up once? For pure modeling joy its gotta be Silo.
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    learn both apps helps since it adds more tools to your palette. I'd skip XSI since its not as widely used as Max or Maya. I learned Maya in college and Max at my first 3D Artist gig.

Take your pick they are both great 3D modeling packages :D

(why can't i vote for both!)
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    it's been a long time since i've seen this thread.
  • seanv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ThatDon wrote: »
    Learn both, it's a small inconvenience but it greatly improves your marketability to companies.

That's what I was going to say.
  • Brettzies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    One thing I hate about using/learning 2 apps at the same time is the damn mouse to viewport interface. Luckily there is a plug-in for Max that lets you change it to the Maya style(if you like that), called Switcher. I think XSI has that feature built.

Honestly though, I wish programs would give you control over the button/mouse combos for viewport obrit, pan, and zoom. I guess some do, but others it's locked. Makes switching back and forth so much easier when you can make navigation as close to each other as possible.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    I work with Max now and I miss Maya. :(
  • I_luv_Pixels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I_luv_Pixels polycounter lvl 17
    Doesn't matter Autodesk wins either way.