Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[portfolio] Jonas Ronnegard

polycount sponsor
Offline / Send Message
Jonas Ronnegard polycount sponsor
Hi

Time to search for a company to take me in for unpaid internship, so well here is my portfolio.
It's still very WIP but please crit away, but excuse me if I'm being slow fixing the problems, still have pieces to finish and add to the site.

*another thing, please tell me if u know of any companies that want interns, so i can send them a mail* thank u

jronn.com

Replies

• monkeyboy_garth
    Offline / Send Message
    monkeyboy_garth polycounter lvl 9
    Holy crap, dude - awesome work. Only crit is that I'd love to see more.
  • MLinderholm
    Offline / Send Message
    MLinderholm polycounter lvl 12
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Offline / Send Message
    liked ur's too man :), and I'm currently working on the more crit :P..
  • Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    really nice, just a little tweak - the watercooler turnaround takes me to the baretta when I click on it.
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Ged, fixed it right now, guess i should just make it unclickable but i kinda didn't know what to take away from the code so i just linked it to the water cooler pic instead :P.
  • Spug
    Offline / Send Message
    Spug polycounter lvl 12
    So very solid, I want MOAAARRRRR! I see that you did the art test for splash damage, have you heard anything yet? Your water cooler is the best one I have seen on polycount. One crit I recieved about my site when I was building it, was the fact that I had open slots on my site. Some said that it made it seem like I was lazy, and did not churn out work regularly. Again, great work so far, just fill that page with more quality work.
  • kio
    Offline / Send Message
    kio polycounter lvl 16
    untitled document ;)

very nice stuff, a bit more variety would be nice but thats more like extra candy.
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank u very much guys :)

Spug: Actually i just sent my mail to Splashdamage so nothing yet, but my classmate got a response in like 2 days, hope i will get one too. yeah i was thinking about changing that, but you know i will fill them so fast anyway :P haha or not. Well wish i could just stop time and do portfolio work for a month or so, most of this is older stuff.

Kio: yeah some of my friends in class also mentioned that, fixed it right now, i also made the gif's unclickable :), yeah i would like to have more variety too but usually i just do hardsurface stuff, would really want to make some swords or, classic armors or something though so i have stuff with different style atleast, wish a day had more then 24h T_T.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    Looks like the beretta firing animation that the pin (not sure if it's called that) under the barrell changes texture from a solid to a hole.
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Offline / Send Message
    ahh good eyes, didn't notice that myself, seems like the bottom pipe is inside the mesh, and then comes out when it shoots. it's supposed to be outside from the beginning, it's not a hole just a bit darker.. guess i can change it later ^^; thanks Dekard
  • TWilson
    Offline / Send Message
    TWilson polycounter lvl 18
    Great work Jonas.

Bigger icons!
  • PixelMasher
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    awesome work man, i love the water cooler, the material definition is really nice. nice hard surface modeling, im sure you will find a job in no time.
  • stoofoo
    Offline / Send Message
    stoofoo polycounter lvl 18
    More art. Bigger thumbnails. You can clealry do some dope ass high res work. Make some more.

Did I mention make more?

Go!

Great work thus far, though.
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Offline / Send Message
    TWilson: Thanks :) I'll make the icons bigger and take away the empty one's soon.

Pixelmasher: thanks to you too :P well first i have to find an internship which seems hard enough hehe, well atleast i'm open to leave Sweden.

Stoofoo: yeah it's on my wish list too :D well I'll be working 24/7 until i find something so i guess it will come, texturing right now though. thanks for the crits :)
  • ThatDon
    Offline / Send Message
    ThatDon polycounter lvl 11
    The content on your site is very niice. :thumbs up:
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks thanks :)

ok so i took away the blank thumbs and enlarged the others, now my thumb pics are to small in resolution instead T_T "always save the originals" need to take new screen caps tomorrow.
  • MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Nice stuff Jonas, I like your highpoly work, and the textures are good too! Cool :)
  • whats_true
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    For that turn around on that Turret, when it ends, have it pause for a second so I can look and see everything. As it stands, it finishes the animation then reset right after. No time to look at all of the detail.

Now that I think of it, how come you don't have a opened version of it with textures on it that can be seen bigger?
  • Paul Pepera
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul Pepera polycounter lvl 9
    That Beretta is too grungy. I don't know the story behind it but looking at the barrel I doubt it would even be able to recoil properly without jamming up. That grunge is coming mostly from your spec, since the diffuse looks rather tame.

The watercooler is very nice, but I would overlay a slight grunge normal detail map over the baked map, to help those details pop.

That hovership looks like it's going to be teh win when it's finished, seems very Unreal Tournament inspired; same thing with the hoverturret. Great stuff. :)
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the crits people,

Whats_true: Yeah my classmates said the same thing, i think i will wait with changing it until I'm ready with some other stuff though, but i will surly do something about it.

Eraserhead: I get what your saying, i kinda just did what i thought looked cool, my spec map is a bit on the hard side, I'll think about fixing that but I'm not sure if i want to go back to it, would rather just do something new, taking pics and things like that is such a waste of work time hehe :P

as for the watercooler, i actually did just that, but with the 512 texture it just looked weird and overdone, maybe I'll try again depending on how big the problem is thank u for telling me :)
  • Michael Knubben
    Jonas: nice stuff. I especially like the watercooler and ball-thingy. I'd agree with you, and say that you shouldn't overlay anything onto the normalmap. The clean normals work much better. Unless it's damaged concrete or similar, I think the normalmap looks better without any noise/grunge in there.
    The render of the watercooler is a bit too 'soft' though. Did you render it? If so, try just taking a screenshot of it ingame (with a bit of aa, but nothing over the top), and apply an unsharpen mask-filter on it afterwards.
  • peppi
    Offline / Send Message
    peppi polycounter lvl 18
    Cool work Jonas. Your models and textures all seem pretty solid and the presentation is nice as well. You should definitely be able to find an intern spot with these. If you had a couple more objects in there I think you could also start looking for a gig as Junior Artist. Be sure not to mention that you'd go for an unpaid position though, chances are you'll get offered compensation in some places.
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Offline / Send Message
    Mightypea: thank u and I'm glad you agree with me, though I'm sure there is someway to make it cooler that way i don't think i can pull it of that easily.

well actually all of my pics of every object is from the maya viewport, no good at renders. Maybe I'll try and take it into UT3 if i have time :)

peppi: thanks peppi, well as it is now in the industry atleast as it is here in sweden I'll be really happy to get a unpaid intern position. i just want to get in somewhere and learn more and get the experience.
  • Martin Henriksson
    Offline / Send Message
    Martin Henriksson polycounter lvl 9
    Should be noted that here in Sweden we actually get money for doing internships, we get 2500sek for free and then our student loan covers the rest meaning we are free labor for whoever wants us! ;D Its not a lot but its enough to pay for a cheap apartment and food.
  • stoofoo
    Offline / Send Message
    stoofoo polycounter lvl 18
    It's in your best interest to know that you really want to be junior artist. If you start as an intern you'll be hard pressed to be paid appropriately when your internship is done.

Like Peppi said, get some more assets done and THEN apply. You are easily at a junior artist level from what I've seen. Keep up that quality and it will pay off.
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Offline / Send Message
    hehe well I'm glad u think so :) but the truth is that many people in my class are as good as me or better and so far only one "maybe" have gotten an unpaid intern position here in sweden. also i don't see anyone rushing to get me for free :P so why would anyone pay for me? i think I'll start thinking small but thanks for your tips :).
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi would love some crits on the color of my hover_thing

ship_wip.jpg
  • gamedev
    Offline / Send Message
    gamedev polycounter lvl 12
    Your work thus far is pretty solid - you're taking the time do do a proper high res and detailed color maps. My only major crit is directed towards the hover turret. The high poly is nice, but the low poly is overkill. An 8k + tri in-game model is a tough sell for something like that. I say this because the low poly has all kinds of detail that doesn't add to the silhouette of the model. Geo that isn't defining the overall shape should be left to a normal map, and with all the detail in the color map i'ts hardly lost. Put a 100% self-illuminated black shader on the low poly and cut out anything that doesn't change its shape.

As for the other pieces, the presentation on the water cooler is exellent and well done.

Keep up the hard work and you'll find a spot in the industry.

Cheers -

Tyler
  • EarthQuake
    Man your attention to animation details in your designs is something rarely seen, awesome stuff.
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Offline / Send Message
    Gamedev: I'm well aware of the problem though it might not be totally overkill in some games it's quite alot of tris wasted, or many tris on small objects.

If i made it now i would know better, but i made it quite a while ago.. Even though it's lacking in the techs i don't think I'll scrap it "I'll be honest and say i really wanted to make it all over from the lowpoly but i really just didn't have the time. And as i have a shortage in things to show i hope people can see the good parts in it though it has quite many flaws, *I'll try and cut it down some though Thanks for the crits :)

EQ: Thanks alot, I'm glad to hear that from u EQ.
  • TheWinterLord
    Offline / Send Message
    TheWinterLord polycounter lvl 17
    Knowing Jonas and Johan in person I would like to give a shoutout to all companies to hire them! Before someone else does!

Great work be proud! Im really happy there are so many kick ass artists comming out from PSQ this year! and guys just send out internship submissions and have fun choosing where to go!

GL guys!
  • AlexanderF
    Man, that flying turret animation is sweeeet. Bra skit :)
  • Lonewolf
    Offline / Send Message
    Lonewolf polycounter lvl 18
    TWilson wrote: »
    Great work Jonas.

Bigger icons!

yea and it looks blured , so fix that too

u have some good work there, love that torrent thingie!

keep it up!
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the PR Winterlord :P thanks to you to alexander

Lonewolf: actually it has been enlarged after that, it's just they got blurred during the process :P havent found the time to take new pics yet, promise to fix it soon :) thanks for the reminder though.
  • MLinderholm
    Offline / Send Message
    MLinderholm polycounter lvl 12
    I like the new hovercraft texture!
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks micke :) , and as no one is saying anything about the colors I'll let them be
  • Johan Carlsson
    Love your stuff Jonas! Your highpolys are kickass work and your texturing skills are sweet :]

Get a job already ;)

And thanks for the promotion Pontus ;D
  • Marcan
    Offline / Send Message
    Marcan polycounter lvl 12
    I don't believe you couldn't get a job right away for an entry level position with the solid work you have right now.

Good portfolio, I like it.

Edit: My only suggestion would be about the website. Why not display the gallery page immediately on visit? You could include the "english/japanese" buttons on the pages themselves rather than having a splash page.

Editx2: Maybe work on your resume page, it looks a bit rushed. I think you could have a nicer presentation with it. My .02 cents.
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha thanks johan :P, and u too by the way..

Marcan: Well i haven't tried sending anything away saying i want a job, but as i said before no one is rushing for me when searching for unpaid internship, so i don't see the use in trying before i have even succeeded in getting close to getting an internship :P

mm as for the splash page, i was really wondering when this was gonna come :P got really worried there. I know it's good to throw the art right at ya but for once i think people have to click once. I'm sending to alot of japanese companies too and i just don't want to confuse, i just want it to be as simple as possible.

Would love to hear what u think i could do on my resume :) hate it badly too haha. It's written more nicely in my CV but well i have nothing to show for really, been in school all my life never done anything else, honestly this will kinda be the first work i do if i get anything.

Thanks for all the crits marcan :)
  • TheWinterLord
    Offline / Send Message
    TheWinterLord polycounter lvl 17
    PS there is a huge seam (söm) in the middle of ur hover, most noticable on the seat. get rid of it already :P
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah i saw that T_T "please spare me" hehe.

Well anyway i have uploaded the hovership, atleast temporarily. Have some other studies to finish now but I'll make a Gif later :)

*I'll never go back and rework old work ever again, please kill me if i do =_=
  • Marcan
    Offline / Send Message
    Marcan polycounter lvl 12
    mm as for the splash page, i was really wondering when this was gonna come :P got really worried there. I know it's good to throw the art right at ya but for once i think people have to click once. I'm sending to alot of japanese companies too and i just don't want to confuse, i just want it to be as simple as possible.

Would love to hear what u think i could do on my resume :) hate it badly too haha. It's written more nicely in my CV but well i have nothing to show for really, been in school all my life never done anything else, honestly this will kinda be the first work i do if i get anything.

Thanks for all the crits marcan :)

I just thought a Japanese logo on your gallery in the top right corner would do the trick, it's pretty recognisable! But it's still better than some portfolios I've seen, where it takes 3-5 clicks to get to the gallery...

As far as the CV go, I'm no expert on the matter, but:

-Include your goal. (I would like to work at at full-time position as a character artist to produce great art etc etc.)

-Include your skills, whether it is good eye for composition, works fast, etc.

-Include your resume as a separate word or RTF format file available for download, right off your website. Do not assume HR will copy and paste your current resume to a notepad file, and save it.

-Really take some time to check every single portfolio on this board, CGTalk, websites that talk about how to do a resume, it will really help you.

By the way, you should include at least a personal email adress that you've used for a while, and plan on using for a long time to come. You watermarked your image, that's good, but if your website by any chance is offline at the time someone wants to contact you, or goes offline in a year from now, that picture the person downloaded from your portfolio a week ago won't remember where he got it.
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah it probably would, i just wanted to be very clear with that, but as u say it might be better just to come directly to the art, I think I'll leave it like that for now though.

I see i thought things like that should rather go into the coverletter? Well i have a separate CV and Coverletter that i send to companies, Didn't think companies wanted to dowload a CV before i have sent them anything anyway.

yeah it would be a good idea to add my mail to the pics too or my name, though i think i'll stick with this address. I'll fix it when i have time for it :)

Thanks for all the ideas Marcan, I'll put some time into it as soon as i have some time :).
  • PixelGoat
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelGoat polycounter lvl 12
    I think I just fell inlove with your ball....Turrett thingy. Excellent work :)
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry for bumping this thread :P.

Still havent found an internship, well found 3 in japan that where interested but i have some Visa issues, Need to go to a "serious" school to do that, lucky for me i signed up for a course at the nearby university, i wonder why. :P

well i just wanna know if you guys think this flintlock pistol is good enough to put in my portfolio, gonna fix the handle and some other stuff though, before putting it up, made it for an art test though maybe that's a bad thing?

1500tris 1024maps

11111bv9.jpg
  • JasonLavoie
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    I think for the most part it is nice man... but I think (personally) it is your least strongest piece, I think whats letting it down is the texture. The brown to me seems a bit to saturated, and also... you're normals are acting a bit awkward (the handle going into the shaft) has this weird sharp edge, could be the angle though.

The other thing is the handle itself, the texture for the grip is kinda boring... maybe you can spruce it up a bit :) (judging from your work I know you can).

I just think overall put some more love into this texture, the model itself is really cool, but the texture is letting it down a bit.

Good luck man, your work is great, big inspiration.
  • kio
    Offline / Send Message
    kio polycounter lvl 16
    well i would focus on europe - should be pretty easy within the EU, at least the whole visa thing wont be a mess. cant believe you wont find anything, ive seen much worse ;)
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie: well it's supposed to be a bit redish, guess that didn't go home that well :P, hmm as for the normals, i think it's just the angle i'll upload a pic from the side to let u see. As for the handle, i was thinking the same, "as i said in my earlier post" and will redo it :).

Kinda liked the texture but well first time i've been workign with tree and gold so well guess i'm supposed to suck at it :P, thought it was kinda fun u mentioned my normalmap :P as it's the first normal map i've actually been quite happy with hehe but Thanks for the crits man :).

Kio: Thanks for not putting me last in your list :P haha. I don't know how much internships there are for those who are not the worst, but haven't found anything myself.

Have searched mostly in england, as it's impossible to get into one of the normal sized or bigger companies here in Sweden, either they don't take any or they want people good enough to jump into a lead position at any company other then their own.

Got one or two art test to do, so I'll see how that goes.

111111qm2.jpg

1111111copyin3.jpg