Home Collaboration & Unpaid Work

3D Low Poly Modeler for Project Garnia

I am from a forum called Mario Fan Game Gamily (MFGG) and am currently starting up a project based on a game idea of mine. All we need is a good modeler, who can create 3D Low Poly models similiar to that of a Nintendo DS game.

Whoever wants to help must be able to work well with anime-like designs and can also be able to work with robotic designs. If neccessary, we may need two designers. One for the main characters, another for the enemies and bosses.

While in its primary stage of development, we are slowly working toward it but more info can be found here:

http://mfgg.taloncrossing.com/index.php?showtopic=221880&st=0

If you want to try this, please become a member of the site and deliver a sample model of this character:

http://oh8.deviantart.com/art/Valon-KlonoaWarrior-request-74857291

EDIT: Notify me first if you want to join. E-mail me at blasterboy101@hotmail.com or send me a message. You can either send me the model there, but you will have to become a member of the forum to participate.

You can post here for questions and such. I'll answer them all.

Replies

• renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    1.) existing engine/ graphics/ sprites/ model samples? if you want to convince good people you have to show good stuff in order to lure them

2.) money?- is it a free project or supported with money

3.) any character designs so far?
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    i like the character you posted there, but you really shouldnt ask people to do an art test for you when it's volunteer work.
  • CannonBlast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs wrote: »
    1.) existing engine/ graphics/ sprites/ model samples? if you want to convince good people you have to show good stuff in order to lure them

2.) money?- is it a free project or supported with money

3.) any character designs so far?

1. I have updated the link with them. Check the beginning post.
    2. Free project
    3. Look at 1

@Aesir-
    That character is a villian in the game. I asked for a model of him to see if the person's style is good enough.
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    I dont want to be harsh but I come myself from a game developer forum and we get there alot of team join requests from kids to young teengagers (12 - 16 years) and the usual 1st replay they get is that they need to show what they did/ can so far because just a dream and some idea dont count at all when producing a team title.
    What is the best idea worth when you dont have the expierence and skills to present the idea in a propper way? Good people usually tend to be attracted by other skilled people because nothing is more depressing as a group of noobs telling you what to do.

I dont know if you have any skills or expierence- but just that first message and the PM reminded me of what I expierenced over the years over at flashkit.com. In 95+% of all those cases the project failed at some point because it turned out to be a mamout project requiring way more manpower and expierence to deliver the desired quality in a propper time.
    I was once the same pulling over dimensional not at all sized projects myself like
    http://board.flashkit.com/board/showthread.php?t=704676&highlight=orthographic
    or
    http://board.flashkit.com/board/showthread.php?t=706063
    booth way over the top and big sign of inexpierence (the way I see it now). While I never finished projects like these I did of course learn lots of things. But from such a experience and the way see now things I really recomend giving other people joining the project more security- like the things I mentioned before:
    - what the members joined so far can do/ have expierence with
    - a definite goal (not a sloppy concept) what to be archived how and when
    - milestones, prototypes,...
    in other words anything that is not fictional and can be pinned down so far

its sad but only a handfull of indie developers actually pull themselves forwad and made it into the professional industry. Perhaps a project I really can recomend to learn from:
    http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?t=50426
    the way marshmonkey and his brother pulled the project and marketing is impressive. It even convinced other veteran members here to join and make some awesome karts and characters for the game. But the reason for the community success is pure showing what marshmonkey himself and his brother were capeable of themselves without boring people with some text- concept.

good luck with your project. You might update as soon as possible with more media as its possible the key to catch useable members here ;)
  • CannonBlast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for your input. I am trying my best to make this project a success. I am a pretty good artist and writer and my friends are doing their best to help me through this.

I hope some great modelers will help us with this project as it is the only job we need. We pretty much have everything else. Production starts Monday.
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    well post updates of what you guys did once you have some media ready- I am sure it will then interest more people - and with some luck you then might have a new member.
  • CannonBlast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs wrote: »
    well post updates of what you guys did once you have some media ready- I am sure it will then interest more people - and with some luck you then might have a new member.

Like before, everything will be placed in the first post of the topic.
    (Just click the link)
  • CannonBlast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am currently updating the first post of the topic that I linked to with various themes.
  • CannonBlast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BTW, this is a FUN AND FREE PROJECT!
  • CannonBlast
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    I like your enthusiasm but you still have not showed what each member of the team is capable of doing or what they've done before... or what you've done before for that matter. renderhjs pretty much summed up everything I'd like to say anyway, it just doesnt look assuring to work on this project. Your sketches are not presented very well for anyone to really take seriously.
    Even if you are going for a cute and simple style, a rough black and white sketch scanned on line paper is not the way to show it if you want to get "good" artists to help you.

Also your "main" post still doesnt give a good idea on what you're trying to make, all it says is that its set in a fantasy setting. It should at least tell everyone what engine you are using what genre, what type of games can this be compared to just to have a rough idea, how many players. And depending on the genre you might need to elaborate what kind of level designs you will be expecting as well and what gameplay elements there are.

And finally your sig is really annoying in those MFGG forums, takes up half my page and considering you bump it almost every other post thats a whole lot of scrolling.
  • CannonBlast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora wrote: »
    I like your enthusiasm but you still have not showed what each member of the team is capable of doing or what they've done before... or what you've done before for that matter. renderhjs pretty much summed up everything I'd like to say anyway, it just doesnt look assuring to work on this project. Your sketches are not presented very well for anyone to really take seriously.
    Even if you are going for a cute and simple style, a rough black and white sketch scanned on line paper is not the way to show it if you want to get "good" artists to help you.

Also your "main" post still doesnt give a good idea on what you're trying to make, all it says is that its set in a fantasy setting. It should at least tell everyone what engine you are using what genre, what type of games can this be compared to just to have a rough idea, how many players. And depending on the genre you might need to elaborate what kind of level designs you will be expecting as well and what gameplay elements there are.

And finally your sig is really annoying in those MFGG forums, takes up half my page and considering you bump it almost every other post thats a whole lot of scrolling.

I'll work on some detailed sketches soon enough, but the drawings are just to introduce the characters.

As for the engine, our programmer says he will take care of it. I will need to ask him to elaborate. But suggestions are always welcome.

As for the genre, platformer w/RPG elements. Similiar to Super Paper Mario.

I will edit the main page with this right now. Anything else I should add?
  • CannonBlast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm back again and now I'm looking for a character modeler. SuPa, from the forums, has volunteered for the monsters/bosses. Now we will need someone who can model characters in an anime style. Possibly a Disgaea-style, or other, like here:

Art_request_KlonoaWarrior_by_elrukuu.jpg

So far, we've got a programmer, 3D modeler for monsters and bosses and a musician. Our previous character modeler has been gone for some weeks and I haven't heard from him since. It would be greatly appreciated if someone could be our character designer.
  • CannonBlast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So can anyone volunteer to help?
  • Shroomguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah hello there Sparker! Or CannonBlast as you are called here I suppose.

Just call me Shroomguy, Shroom, Shr
  • CannonBlast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We are, at the moment, looking for a programmer to help out with coding the aspects of the game. If you want to help, e-mail me at:

blasterboy101@hotmail.com

(Here is a design brief describing the game)

Garnia__Legends_of_the_Seasons_by_KlonoaWarrior.png

Genre:

Beat-em-up, platformer, adventure, puzzle

Battle style:
    Hack & slash

Protagonists:

Autumn Hero Tadd- Weapon: Hammer
    Spring Hero Gladis- Weapon: Bow
    Winter Hero Fridgy- Weapon: Chakrams
    Summer Hero Jenene- Weapon: Giant Double-Bladed Sword

Gameplay:

-Each World will have four Level Phases in total.

-Teamwork is needed as all four characters cooperate to complete a puzzle.

-To finish a level, a character has to rescue a trapped Wave.
    -Free a Wave by striking the crystal ball it is encased in to shatter it.

-The player controls all four characters, one at a time and can switch between them. Each character plays differently so the player will have to make good use of them. For example, Gladis uses a bow and is better at hitting enemies from a far. Fridgy's chakrams allow him to combo enemies multiple times.

-Bosses are fought with teamwork as well.
    -They must be weakened first before they can be easily defeated.
    -Once a boss is defeated, the Waves you've rescued will free a Great Wave and change the current season to its rightful state.

-The four worlds of Garnia are:
    Foresina
    Emperia
    Shadoria
    Celesina

-The four races of Garnia are:
    Huma- (Humans)
    Celesta- (Angels)
    Denva- (Demons)
    Besta- (Animals)

-The hub (where you will warp to the different continent areas) is Rudenia, the Season Haven. A portal will teleport you to the selected . Defeating an area's boss will give you access to the other continents.

-There will be a store in every continent run by a boy named Hakari.
    -He sells energy drinks and energy bars
    -Buy items with gale. You will find these golden coins throughout levels and in treasure chests.

The Characters:
    As said before, each character is different:
    -Autumn Hero Tadd wields a hammer, the Autumn Mallet. He runs at a regular speed. His Autumn Mallet can easily pound enemies into the ground. He can smash down obstacles that need smashing and is good at it too. Tadd is a well-rounded character.

-Spring Hero Gladis wields the Spring Eagle, a bow with unlimited arrows that can attack enemies and strike targets from long distances. She doesn't walk, but hovers a bit off ground. Using her wings, she can fly for a fair amount of time.

-Winter Hero Fridgy wields Winter Rings, two ice chakrams. He is a fast runner and is quick with attacking using his chakrams. Fridgy is the best combo-attacker on the team.

-Summer Hero Jenene wields the Summer Buster, a giant double-bladed sword. She is the slowest member on the team and is the slowest at attacking. But her sword strikes hit hard and tough. She's strong enough to knock down a lot of obstacles in her path. Jenene can fly as well but ,with her Summer Buster in hand, only for a short time.

Enemies:
    The enemies in the game are called Vibes. These monstrosities are to be defeated if you want to get to those poor Waves!
    -Defeat them by depleting their life meters.

Basics:
    -The gameplay is like Mario VS. Donkey Kong. in terms of level layout. Obstacles are placed about that you must clear out with various characters before reaching the trapped Wave.