Home Technical Talk

Getting good game footage, Video capture, what do you use?

We need to get some good footage of our game, without using a framerate dropping app like fraps. Who has some good solutions?

We've got a DV camera here somewhere, would out-putting s-video to it provide quality results?

Replies

• Renaud Galand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Renaud Galand polycounter lvl 19
    I didn't try it myself, but after a little google search, it looks like some people found this tool after trying fraps > http://www.planetgamecam.com/

hope it helps.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Svideo is crap, noisy as hell, and low-res. Fraps is actually really good, it uses multiple cores if your machine has them. Just use a powerhorse, defrag it, and clean out the system tray bloat before capturing.
  • Rob Galanakis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've used gamecam when my homebrew engine had a problem with Fraps and DX. I preferred Fraps. Gamecam had more features it seemed like, but was more difficult to use and seemed to slow things down as much or more than Fraps, but experiences will vary.
  • FicWill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FicWill polycounter lvl 17
    Real-time recording is tricky and probably won't get you ideal results. Assuming your engine ticrate is controllable, dump out individual frames and then compile them into video using virtualdub. For audio, have your engine output a log file of all sounds played at what time index, and compile them into a sound file to combine with the video.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fraps doesnt seem to do sound correctly, and drops the framerate in half, which is pretty unworkable. Gauss found a seemingly awesome app, that barely takes any performance hit and is mostly free, i'll post up a link later when i talk to him tomorrow.
  • Jonathan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you can afford it, an HDMI capture card, and a RAID setup in order to write the raw video to the HDD fast enough.
    http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/intensity/
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    If you're not worried about sound (which it appears as though you are... so this tip is pointless) you can always run the game at half speed if your engine supports it, and speed it up later. Occasional frame droppage, but not as bad as straight fraps.
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    I haven't had a problem with Fraps, but yes a well defragmented hard-drive and a dual core is definitely beneficial for it (as with any real-time video capture tool in general). I've seen 1024x768 video recorded cleanly at 60fps with sound on such machine. It uses the currently selected recording input device for the sound.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    No problems at all with Fraps on a Quad Core system. Otherwise, build the video recording into the engine if THAT'S NOT GOOD ENOUGH! Anything involving video recording and editing needs a beefy CPU, and fast system. Add games, and it's even more demanding.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, quad-core here too, Fraps works great. The sound captures just fine. Occasionally I get some screen tear. If the capture apps don't do it, FicWill's suggestion is the best way.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheap/Ely; as stated, fraps is not an option, but thanks for ignoring what i actually said and giving me some useless advice anyway.(This is not aimed at you eric, i know you're actually trying to help =P)

I think the fraps sound issue has something to do with vista, the beefy demo machine we wanted to use for recording is running it. All of our dev machines have slightly older dual-core cpus, and getting a decent framerate with a game that is still very much in development and not fully optimized on a non-uber system with fraps at the best possibly quality(FSAA,etc, decent resolution) is not really realistic for us. Nor is building another machine specificly for this purpose.

We are however going to be looking into that hdmi capture card that Jonathan linked to, that looks like the perfect solution, and we can just throw it into one of our exsisting machines. Best quality with no performance hit, and looks like its relatively easy to actually get uncompressed video out of it, with a cheap raid setup. This should be miles ahead of the double compression you'de get from editing fraps video, and then recompressing.

Oh yeah slum, that half speed idea actually sounds pretty good. We do have the ability to just switch up the timescale. Not entirely sure how the audio would work sped back up again, i'de imagine all sorts of wierd pitch-shifting would happen, i think we do some funky stuff with sound when we change the timescale. I think you'de also have to be very careful with how you played as to not get that sort of, super-hyper mouse movement from speeding it up. Maybe if the mouse speed was set real low it would be fine. Since we dont have any sort of recording and playback functions.

[edit] Oh yeah eric, you may be able to fix those tearing issues by forcing on v-sync? Or possibly just locking the framerate in your engine to what you're capturing at. Seems like there should be some sort of easy fix along those lines.
  • CrazyButcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CrazyButcher polycounter lvl 18
    http://camstudio.org/

we used this, but not sure how good performance would be for "big/critical" stuff. Although mostly we just lock at 30 fps and dump screenshots per-frame (have a special record mode, no sound however).
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    Oh yeah eric, you may be able to fix those tearing issues by forcing on v-sync? Or possibly just locking the framerate in your engine to what you're capturing at. Seems like there should be some sort of easy fix along those lines.
    Don't work there anymore but thanks. We were capturing 1680x1050 30fps on an XP quad-core box.
  • Mr.Animator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    We are however going to be looking into that hdmi capture card that Jonathan linked to, that looks like the perfect solution, and we can just throw it into one of our exsisting machines. Best quality with no performance hit, and looks like its relatively easy to actually get uncompressed video out of it, with a cheap raid setup. This should be miles ahead of the double compression you'de get from editing fraps video, and then recompressing.

YaaY! First post for me.

Either way, the Black Magic intensity card will work wonders, but ONLY if you run at TV resolutions, 1920X1080, 1280X720 and 720X486.

This is straight from BlackMagic's tech-people.

We are looking at a solution for doing game captures at the office, since Fraps and the like are not an option for us. And I'm having a VERY hard time finding something that will take and digitize a DVI source.
  • Jonathan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hopefully the HDMI capture card works well for you. I almost set one up after buying an HD camcorder a while ago, but haven't done so yet as I've just been quite busy.

A second idea is, if you didn't want a RAID setup, is perhaps using a powerful enough machine to do real-time compression, so a single harddrive could write the data, or look into Nvidia's GPGPU solutions, and see if they have something to offer so you could compress on the fly.