Home General Discussion

no time for personal models

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
bugo polycounter lvl 17
Hey there people, I would like to know if you guys can tell me how do you guys have time to do some personal models, challenges, etc. Like, I have a wife, but i dont have kids, I work like 12-14 hours a day and then I try sleeping 7-8hs. I work at weekends. I´m sure there´s a way, but I can´t, so, if someone could share your day time for personal things.

Thanks

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    1) Spend less time writing posts about not having time...
    2) Unplug your net connection...
    3) Work less, sleep less, get fired and force your wife to support you both. She'll be out of the house, you'll have a hard time finding a job with all the modeling your doing.
    4) Find a rich relative and become their favorite. This could take a while to pay off, or not.
    5) If your in the industry say no to personal projects, leave it at work.
    6) Not having time is an excuse for not using what you have efficiently or not working fast enough. Evaluate your time, and what you actually do when doing personal projects, cut out the fluff.

Personally I stay up late, or get up early. Work doesn't exceed more then 10hrs a day, and I don't work on personal projects while my daughter is up. Family first, she needs a dad not a potato.
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    1) Spend less time writing posts about not having time...
    - Yeah this one maybe will work.
    2) Unplug your net connection...
    - I can´t, how am I going to work remotely without net?
    3) Work less, sleep less, get fired and force your wife to support you both. She'll be out of the house, you'll have a hard time finding a job with all the modeling your doing.
    - My wife dont have a job, i can´t live without a home?
    4) Find a rich relative and become their favorite. This could take a while to pay off, or not.
    - I´m not that kind of person. ;)
    5) If your in the industry say no to personal projects, leave it at work.
    - heh
    6) Not having time is an excuse for not using what you have efficiently or not working fast enough. Evaluate your time, and what you actually do when doing personal projects, cut out the fluff.
    - I do work fast enough, but I´m a contractor, I don´t have a fulltime job, so whenever there´s work they send I have to pay bills. But yes, I will try evaluating my time and try having 1 hour or 2 per day to do things for portfolio.

Yes, that´s the thing, Family first, and when I´m without work I go out and stay with wife, and for me this is sometimes rare!

THanks Vig
  • demoncage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    demoncage polycounter lvl 18
    don't know, sounds like you're pretty much screwed. might want to find a job that doesn't require you to work that many hours a day on a consistant basis in order to live. not mentally healthy.
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    yeah, waiting for it.
  • sicsided
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have a similar situation at the moment also mate.

As for my remedy, I usually find a night or two to skip sleep (most of it anyway) and just bust ass on whatever I can at the time. I plan it out while I'm at work, or on the drive home. The next day at work is usually a pain, but there is at least some progress. My girlfriend has a hard time with it sometimes, but I just tell her that its my dream to do this and she understands.

Luck mate.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    i went 6 months without the internet, just because for month 1 of living in the new appartment, i couldn't be bothered.

then when i phoned to get it sorted, i (rudely) hung up, halfway through, because i realised how much more productive i'd been without it. both in terms of modeling, and my music career.
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    don´t want to give some "tip" in particular but in fact your family has to earn more money per hour to work less hours per day to have more time..
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Working 12+ hours a day sounds like the problem. I work about 4 hours less than that... which is more than enough time to play football, play guitar and mess around with personal projects at home.

Are you freelancing at the moment? Or just working in a studio that is demanding crazy amounts of work?
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    Seriously, dude, 14 hours a day? With 8 hours sleep that leaves you with 2hrs for yourself/family; what the hell do you do with that? And you're working the weekends?

It should be obvious what needs to be changed in your life to allow you more time to do things. 12-14 hour days 7 days a week is not healthy.
  • TWilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TWilson polycounter lvl 18
    yea ...work less get paid more. (by being more efficient)

Work faster by focusing 100% of your attention on what you're doing. Get autistic. Don't multi-task. So turn off msn and stop checking polycount ever hour. Turn off the TV. Tell your wife it's work time from 8-5 and Tuesdays evenings are for personal work.

It's not easy to have time as a freelancer I know. It's something I've struggled to balance for the past seven months. It is possible though.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    I think we've narrowed down the issues.

1. You work too many hours
    2. Your wife doesn't work
    3. You don't have kids

Number three is your lucky charm. Unless your wife is physically incapable of working...she needs a job, if one is availabe. It takes two to live comfortably. What does she do?

I see that you work as a contract artist for games. So I see how that could be time consuming trying to support two people. Perhaps you should lessen the contract work, use the extra time working to get a in-house position.

At my age, I would not have the time I have to improve my skills if it wasn't for a very supportive and encouraging significant other. And low monthly bills.
  • Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    I also work ~12-14 hours (its actually around 9-11, but with the commute it comes out to that). The only option really is to get less sleep and be more efficient with real life responsibilities. The problem with the less sleep thing is that you may eventually burn out, and be really tired when you get home.

...Or work less hours at work. (Depends on really why you're working those hours).
  • kat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kat polycounter lvl 17
    Don't watch TV, at all.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    I don't want to encourage strain on your relationship with your wife. But if you are working, she isn't, and you have no kids, then something is wrong. Having kids is the only real justification for your spouse not having a job. I would feel terrible about myself if I stayed at home all day while my significant other brought home the bacon.

Working 12 - 14 hour days is what is hurting you the most. After working that long, you won't even have the energy necessary to work on personal projects, even if you could scrounge up the time. If your wife got a job, you would be able to afford to cut back on your own hours. If you and your spouse both work 8 - hour days, you'll probably earn more money that way, and have more time to spend with each other. (as well as more time for personal projects)
  • J Randall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    J Randall polycounter lvl 15
    Yeah I 2nd, I am curious what your wife does all day.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    how often are you working those hours, cos i did that for 4 months and my life went to pot, dont do it, you may be bringing home the bacon, but it isnt the way to have a fulfilling life, and your wife (and you) may well be happier with less money and more time. I know i lost a severn year relationship to working too much, there were other factors but this was a major player
  • stimpack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stimpack polycounter lvl 10
    I set goals for each day, and im hardcore about them. First and foremost, i hit the gym, run, swim, or bike every day cept sundays. That takes hour TOPS outa my 24 hour day. Then i plow through my work. I dont mean i dabble here and there, no. I sit down will full intent to crank out everything i possibly can in 4-6 hours, then i wrap up shop and call the work day done. thats now 7 hours roughly of my day. Now the rest of the day is fun/personal time. Obviously other factors can play a part in your time management, but thats how mine plays out, and im very happy.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Slack off at your current job by working on personal pieces. :D
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    MoP wrote: »
    Working 12+ hours a day sounds like the problem. I work about 4 hours less than that... which is more than enough time to play football, play guitar and mess around with personal projects at home.

Are you freelancing at the moment? Or just working in a studio that is demanding crazy amounts of work?

Only freelancing
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    SHEPEIRO wrote: »
    how often are you working those hours, cos i did that for 4 months and my life went to pot, dont do it, you may be bringing home the bacon, but it isnt the way to have a fulfilling life, and your wife (and you) may well be happier with less money and more time. I know i lost a severn year relationship to working too much, there were other factors but this was a major player

Thanks man, usually my wife understands, because she knows how important is to me, but I, myself dont like to stay without her you know...
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    J Randall wrote: »
    Yeah I 2nd, I am curious what your wife does all day.

She works, but not all the time, she´s planner on marriages and make-up designer, so, sometimes she does these things for people who will marriage etc. She already tried to find a better job, but not worthy as my job gets 14 times better than what she will find in Brazil. So that´s why I say to her to not work and stay with me at home.
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    Anyway, thanks for the tips guys. I think the most problem is time for making personal models, not my wife or my style of living. I see everybody here doing something new, and something good, and I´m doing props and characters for clients and can´t show for like 1-2 years, that´s the worst problem. If I could show what im doing now would be easier.
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    ElysiumGX wrote: »
    I think we've narrowed down the issues.

1. You work too many hours
    2. Your wife doesn't work
    3. You don't have kids

Number three is your lucky charm. Unless your wife is physically incapable of working...she needs a job, if one is available. It takes two to live comfortably. What does she do?

I see that you work as a contract artist for games. So I see how that could be time consuming trying to support two people. Perhaps you should lessen the contract work, use the extra time working to get a in-house position.

At my age, I would not have the time I have to improve my skills if it wasn't for a very supportive and encouraging significant other. And low monthly bills.

Yeah, good thing i don´t have any kids, just a Maltese pet doggy ;)
    Right, she does work as I said on the post before, but not all time.
    If for some reason I lessen the contract work I won´t live exactly what im living now, and I don´t want to drop my style, I just would like to know how everybody manages its time. I think I need to know more of freelancers and not so much of people who works on studios. But yes, all info is important.

Thanks
  • Wendy de Boer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wendy de Boer interpolator
    1) Teach your wife how to make game art. Make-up design... texturing, how different can it be? :poly142:
    2) Have her do half of the work.

Problem solved! And we need more girl power in game art anyways. :D

All kidding aside, I definitely agree on trying to find inhouse work. Even if this means moving, perhaps even to a different country if you have to.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Haha, DemonPrincess got to the suggestion just before I did :)

If she's already a make-up designer or artist, show her how to paint textures... shouldn't be too hard!
  • Asmuel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asmuel polycounter lvl 17
    I heard MoP rides Tully around the office Master Blaster style, pointing at things to texture, and takes home 2 paychecks. can anyone confirm? I must get something like this going.
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asmuel wrote: »
    I heard MoP rides Tully around the office Master Blaster style, pointing at things to texture, and takes home 2 paychecks. can anyone confirm? I must get something like this going.

what?
  • tacit math
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tacit math polycounter lvl 17
    ha hahah. gold bro. gold
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Originally Posted by Asmuel:" I heard MoP rides Tully around the office Master Blaster style, pointing at things to texture, and takes home 2 paychecks. can anyone confirm? I must get something like this going
    MoPonPayDay.jpg

Couldn't resist.... CONFIRMED!
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    heheheheh, well to be true we already tried, I went doing some workshops for her, showing what I do, but it´s trully a matter of talent and work hard, you guys know its not easy. She does like it, but she doesnt want to be a game artist, and I respect that.