Home General Discussion

OS question

Hey, I'm new to this forum soooooo yeah hi.

I have xp 64 bit right now but i think its buggy so i am going to format soon but before i do ... i wanted to know everyone's opinion about my other options.

I could reinstall xp64, i could get xpsp3 or i could bite the bullet and get Vista Ultimate.
if there's another OS out there i could use please let me know.

for 3dsmax, maya, zbrush, and photoshop ... which do you all recommend?

Replies

• Flynny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flynny polycounter lvl 9
    im on vista. using pshop,maya and bloody loving it
  • ImSlightlyBored
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ImSlightlyBored polycounter lvl 13
    im on vista, using photoshop cs3 and max 9
    its ok. but not great. The main problem is that ive been told photoshop cs3 runs horrible without aero on (vistas fancy effects) and with it on, I get hideous viewport results in max.

With it off, photoshop stutters to the point of almost being unusable, but max is fine.

Its live with-able, but not great. I can sort of guess you'll be recommended to stick with XP64, its certainly what I'd have chosen to do. But Vista isnt the devil like people make out, either.
  • RawRanator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Why not try using a different version of 3dsmax? Like 08 or 09?
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    I've got vista64 and run max 2009 (64 bit), photoshop cs2 and zbrush3, haven't had any problems (yet)
  • RawRanator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was looking into Linux OS and a Mac OS but neither look like they are compatible with the software I need ... except Mac with photoshop and maya. I don't think I'll end up using either of these OS but I'm interested to hear what you guys have to say.
  • TWilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TWilson polycounter lvl 18
    vista can handle more ram than xp if that's a concern for you. I have 4 gigs in my box but xp is only using 3.3. Work arounds for this in xp are risky from what I've heard. But I dislike vista very much still so I might be shit out of luck for now :P
  • RawRanator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, I'm using windows xp64 so i get good use out of my 4 gigs of ram. My concern is the tiny bugs xp64 has that annoy me. My OS has made my icons turn into black squares, and when surfing the net but links have turned into black rectangles. Also, I heard windows xo64 isn't a true 64bit operating system, i was wondering if it was true ...
  • Toast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toast polycounter lvl 11
    For me, 8gb Vista x64 and Maya runs silky smooth. Vista used to be junk, but that's when I had 32bit...and it was a year ago.

XPx64 is fine, I have that at home, but the drivers are an issue if you're going to buy new hardware....that's basically it.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    RawRanator wrote: »
    I was looking into Linux OS and a Mac OS but neither look like they are compatible with the software I need ... except Mac with photoshop and maya. I don't think I'll end up using either of these OS but I'm interested to hear what you guys have to say.

if you are into getting work done over fiddling with setup for the sake of it you'd be well advised to select the tools you want to run first and then look for the OS that they are made to be run with, not the other way around.