Home Technical Talk

very odd studiomax problem - mesh appearing where there is none..seemingly.

Bronco
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Bronco polycounter lvl 18
Hey guys.

Got a studiomax problem that is driving me up the wall because I have no idea where the problem is therefore can't find the solution.

I'm making an animations that teaches people how to make a T halving joint out of wood. in order to do that ive created several wood models which switch over a single frame for each stage (marking, sawing, finishing).

The mark lines are mesh lines which are animated by morphs. now here's my issue.

On 2 of the wood sections I have 'mark' lines appearing even when there is no 'mark' line meshes there. i'm wondering because I copied the wood meshes as I was doing the animation i've somehow inherited these lines, but nothing is showing in the view port, schematic view or object list, these lines are only appearing on the render. even when everything else is isolated.

I'm not good at describing stuff so hopefully the images below will help explain the problem a bit better :).

studiomaxprob01su9.th.jpg

studiomaxprob02no2.th.jpg

As always any advice would be much appreciated.

John

Replies

• Bronco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bronco polycounter lvl 18
    well sorry admins,what a waste of time that was, im a noob.... spent most of the morning trying to figure this out and its just dawned on me.....

those lines are hidden freaking elements...not objects.

Ok next question just so this is not a totally pointless thread......when you hide elements within an object is there anyway of telling in studiomax that you do have hidden elements in a particular object....just so you don't do a me and totally forget to unhide them again.

Gah now I feel stupid. :(.

John
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Honestly? Just don't forget. Make it part of your workflow. Whenever I'm done with something I'll always unhide mesh elements afterwards to see if I missed something.
    I don't think there's any script out there that will tell you if you have hidden elements or not though.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    You could probably write a simple script very easily that checks every EPoly or EMesh object in your scene and does the "unhide all" command on vert/face level to make sure that every part of every mesh is visible. Not quite the same as a warning, but at least you'd be able to see it.
  • AnimeAngel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Couldn't you make a selection set of the elements and use that to hide and unhide it?