Home General Discussion

Fringe.

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
Matabus polycounter lvl 19
Wow! Awesome show. Looks like Abrams has still got it. Pretty solid writing, action, and acting all around (aside from Joshua Jacksons occasional annoying one-liners).

Looks to be a new, even better, X-Files! Awesometown.

Replies

• ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Wow thats really huge praise, I hope they put the episodes online like they did with Lost.

[ame]http://www.metacafe.com/watch/1400711/fringe_tv_show_trailer_scariest_opening_ever/[/ame]

Freaky!
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    I've been waiting for this show to kick off for months now. I was really intrigued by the pilot and it reminded me a lot of the X-Files (which I love).

-caseyjones
  • Matabus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    caseyjones wrote: »
    I've been waiting for this show to kick off for months now. I was really intrigued by the pilot and it reminded me a lot of the X-Files (which I love).

-caseyjones

Well then you won't be dissapointed at all ... especially when they show that part at the end of the episode where it shows the "here's what's coming in this season ... " type of montage.

And yeah, that beginning airplane part was freaky deaky.
  • carlo_c
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I enjoyed watching the pilot of this, can't wait to see more. Hopefully can fill the void that was once the x-files lol.
  • Saidin311
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saidin311 polycounter lvl 11
    Not too sure about Pacey, but the show has potential. I'm hooked for at least another episode.

JJ is one of the best story tellers / writers / producers in hollywood right now.
  • Matabus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hah yeah ... Pacey.

His one liners made me "ugh" once or twice. He had his redeeming moments though. PSYCHED!
  • hobodactyl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hobodactyl polycounter lvl 18
    I hadn't heard about this before, but that clip looked awesome!
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah it was pretty good. Hopefully they can keep the pacing. It was very lost-ish, it even had a very similar soundtrack. Not to surprising since its JJ Abrams though. I enjoyed the translucent body, that was pretty sweet.
  • MasteroftheFork
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MasteroftheFork polycounter lvl 18
    I was looking forward to this show for awhile since I'm a lost fanboy. :o It did not disappoint! The story telling and action was great. I thought some of the acting was alittle off though. Pacey's one liners, the girls constant "i'm worried about what's to come" look and some other things but as the episodes progress and the actors get a better feel for their roles this should work out. I'm looking forward to the messed up crazyness that will surely come :D
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    After digesting Fringe for a day or so... Now I liked the show don't get me wrong. But I maybe possibly over analyzing it a bit too trying to find something I don't like..

But, it looks like JJ Abrams opened up the cliche book and decided to throw a bunch in there to create a story.
    Father is crazy and poor, the person he shared a lab with is the most wealthiest and smartest in the world.

Guy running from things, learns to be more like his dad (who he hates) and accept his fate.

estranged father/son.. father must find redemption in son's eyes. (Dad will probably die soon, I'm saying it now so son can have something to fight for)

Girl loves boy, boy gets hurt, boy turns evil, girl must avenge his death. Guy might not be evil, maybe her boss will avenge his death.

Girl gets job, but working for guy who hates her, she must prove herself.

Girl gets job but at a low rung and isn't called by name just 'liaison' and must prove herself (similar to above)

Guy hates job, but learns to love it because he's able to make a difference...

I'm sure there are many more, but you get the idea.. I like it but I'm hoping they can keep it alive without resorting to months of questions and 30 seconds of answers. I'm starting to dislike all the shows on the air that would have been an awesome miniseries being dragged out over years and episodes just to lead us on for a shitty ending.

And the reviews haven't been too kind apparently it had pretty piss poor ratings for a new show at 9 million viewers.
  • seanv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg wrote: »
    Wow thats really huge praise, I hope they put the episodes online like they did with Lost.

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/1400711/fringe_tv_show_trailer_scariest_opening_ever/

Freaky!

It's already on hulu.com, a legitimate replay site. You don't have to sign up for anything and it was posted the day after it aired. I tried to watch it on fox.com but I had trouble getting it to play well.
  • Saidin311
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dekard wrote: »
    spoilers

JJ has said he was never trying to reinvent the wheel with this show. He blatantly listed his influences for writing it.

X-Files went off the air for a reason, and those shows in similar vein haven't done well since. It could be that the public just doesn't care for those types of plot lines anymore. Not to mention the recent X-Files movie was a bit of a flop.

The Tuesday night timeslot doesn't help much either. But 9 million viewers seems a bit low since it was overly hyped during all football events on sunday/monday.

As for the cliche's, sadly more and more productions are going that route. But some of the ones you pointed out are stretching a bit! :)
  • Matabus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah a lot of those so called "cliches" you listed are a serious stretch.

It's like saying "going to the store and reaching for a can of tomato soup but dropping it only to find that it wasnt a can of tamato soup at all, it was CREAM OF MUSHROOM" is a cliche.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok ok, maybe not cliche but happen way too often on TV.
  • East
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    Fringe was mildly amusing, and worked well as background noise on the TV while I was doing artwork. But I don't see it holding my interest unless it takes a big turn. It's like Dekard pointed out, it felt like I was watching something I've already seen before and it was too easy to anticipate every turn and twist. Typical American FOX trite. Which of course means it will keep running. FOX only cancels the good stuff.
  • b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    baof. it was all stuff ive seen before, didnt do anything for me, Doubt ill follow it. Ill tryy an episode or 2, maybe it was just the pilot that was like that.. but honestly. poopies
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    I thought it was merely ok. I just hope they have a little bit of REAL fringe science (cutting edge or purely theoretical stuff) not, as that character says, pseudo science (which is not the same thing). I just get the feeling its going to devolve into hunts for Sasquatch, and evil secret agents with kooky super powers.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    seanv wrote: »
    It's already on hulu.com, a legitimate replay site. You don't have to sign up for anything and it was posted the day after it aired. I tried to watch it on fox.com but I had trouble getting it to play well.

Thanks a ton man! Watched the show, great great stuff, JJ Abrams is kicking all kinds of ass these days with his sci fi work! Really hope this show is as successful since it this pilot was awesome!!
  • Matabus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I thought it was merely ok. I just hope they have a little bit of REAL fringe science (cutting edge or purely theoretical stuff) not, as that character says, pseudo science (which is not the same thing). I just get the feeling its going to devolve into hunts for Sasquatch, and evil secret agents with kooky super powers.

You see this is exactly what I WANT it to EVOLVE into. :D

Shit reminds me of X-Files.
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    i haven't seen the show but i read that it's supposed to include both cutting edge/theoretical science and completely out there science fiction science.
  • TheSplash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the main actress played nariko in heavenly sword.

oh also, the pilot was cool.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That was, for the most part, some seriously cringeworthy shit. That's not to say I didn't enjoy it at all, but the dialogue was some of the poorest I've heard in a while.
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i liked the pretty pictures
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    The Xfiles pilot/premiere was not any better than this. Given a few episodes, I think the Fringe can really start to kick ass. The thing that kept getting me though was Michael Giacchino's score for the show. Every time it was a commercial break I thought I was going to that *THUD* from LOST. haha. He brings a similar style of music to most dramas he composes. His music for Ratatouille was completely different, though.

Either way, I enjoyed it.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Looooved the opening episode. Sexy FBI agent and her ragtag team of scientists? Fuck ya! I really got the X-files vibe from this.

At one point, when Olivia and Peter were in the car, Peter goes, "The truth...." <long pause> And I am pretty sure I said "...is out there."
  • Matabus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adamBrome wrote: »
    Looooved the opening episode. Sexy FBI agent and her ragtag team of scientists? Fuck ya! I really got the X-files vibe from this.

At one point, when Olivia and Peter were in the car, Peter goes, "The truth...." <long pause> And I am pretty sure I said "...is out there."

Hahahah I did the same thing.
  • Spinks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spinks polycounter lvl 18
    me third! but i can never shut up while watching stuff...
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Just watched the first episode on Hulu. Man, cool show! Little bit of Lost with a lotta bit of X-Files.
    Did not see the twist coming at the end with Agent Loverboy being the terrorist
  • Matabus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anyone catch the video of the first 3 minutes of tonight's episode?
    Some creepy shit. Has me hooked.
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gonna watch tomorrow. thank god for torrents lolo.
    yay.

and yes i loved the pilot. jj delivers
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    So this show airs on Mondays then? PERFECT. Means I will watch it 1 hour before anyone else who tries to watch it in Vancouver on TV due to the time difference*. BOOYA.

*Or roughly the same time as anyone with sweethaxknowhow
  • Saidin311
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So this show airs on Mondays then? PERFECT. Means I will watch it 1 hour before anyone else who tries to watch it in Vancouver on TV due to the time difference*. BOOYA.

*Or roughly the same time as anyone with sweethaxknowhow

Tuesdays you mean?

Did anyone see who or what was the last pan-in image of tonight's show?

Was an ok episode, the bumbling scientist part is gonna get old quick though I think. But I'm liking the typical JJ style of storytelling of not giving us much in the way of direct information on the pattern.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Actually Adam, you posted that at 8:25 central, 25 minutes after the show started. So I guess you lose. Booya?

Tonights episode was awesome. man-baby? sweet.

Saidin:
    You mean the tanks? It looked like a lab with 3 tanks of 'clones' of the killer guy
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    From what I could tell about tonights ending,
    oldman scientist fell asleep and it snapped to 3 incubator type things for clones, then the show ended

That right?
  • Saidin311
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oldman scientist fell asleep and it snapped to 3 incubator type things for clones, then the show ended

That's what I assumed.
    And with the talk of Pacey's medical history, I expect him to be a clone or at least part of the pattern.

I suspect the end of season cliff hanger will be titled:

The Clone Wars: Pacey or "The Pacey Wars" who's with me?!
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    it's like global frequency but without warren ellis madness
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, this episode made me appreciate it more, with there being more of a focus on the weird stuff.
  • Matabus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

That right?

I thought it was
    Agent Scott being shown in the middle incubator that was open. Probably in that "leaf" room. They already hint that he will be coming back. ZOMBIES!
  • TWilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TWilson polycounter lvl 18
    Yea seen the first two episodes now ...I vote Average.

This isn't as good as X-Files. X-Files had writers.

I'll keep watching it when it's on though because there's nothing else like this right now that I know of.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    i agree. Ep 1 was unique. This was kinda droll.
  • Luxury
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luxury polycounter lvl 18
    Completely mediocre. Terrible dialog. Mostly bad acting. And it dawned on me last night who the crazy old man is. He's the actor that played Denethor that I fucking hated in Return of the King. Hammy overactor!
  • East
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    I have to say Fringe is slowly winning me over. Slowly.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Yeah. I think if they could give it maybe 20 more IQ points and a bit of the scares & terror that X-files had, this show could work. I'm still so not sold on Joshua Jackson (Pacey McDouchebag) . Know whats funny? I never saw more than 30 seconds of Dawsons Creek, yet I still think of that guy as Pacey.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    I think you guys can't get over Pacey because you're jealous of his good looks & baby-face charm ;)

It easy to move on from that if, you know, you stop focusing on it. Ha. Ha.