Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Latest Piece, modular building

Hey, I'm still fairly new to these forums, though i browse them a lot and read up on stuff, I'm usually around following my friends unearthly challenge thread (X-convict team vAntage)

Anywheres here's a render and texture layout... I haven't used this method before where you create a texture first then create the building based off of it. But it was fun to sit down for a few hours to do.

Any suggestions?

Cheers

GermanBuilding.jpg

BuildingTemplate.jpg

*updated images

Replies

• X-Convict
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    X-Convict polycounter lvl 18
    Sent you crits on msn, but this is looking much better, especially that brick. Those curtain windows are bothering me the most right now, looks very out of place right now compared to everything else. Just need to get those other fixes in and some more renders/angles would be cool :)
  • Pope Adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pope Adam polycounter lvl 11
    I think it looks pretty good so far, the red is a bit striking, like Convict said.

I think that an AO bake off of one of these instances would help the map immensely.

Do you have plans for some decal textures to break up the tiling?
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    yeah the curtains would be on the inside behind the net curtains, so they would n't be quite as striking.

In any case you would n't have random windows with curtains, they would be on all of them I feel.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    the brightness of the red, makes the windows look like they have no glass in them.
    the design of the front door also looks odd, have you got any reference?
  • ericleekessler
    hey guys, fixing up stuff that xcon critiqued, and yes i would love to do a decal pass after to add in some grime here and there, I'm still changing some things around, i feel that i'm going to get rid of the windows around the front door and go in to add in more trim work around it instead., i'll update with new renders soon
  • man_o_mule
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    man_o_mule polycounter lvl 18
    i have to agree on the curtains. right now it looks like the curtains are on teh outside of the glass, not on the inside. I would bring down teh saturation of the red there. Overall it looks good. I want to see what it looks like with a lightmap
  • ericleekessler
    fixed the curtains, did a bit of tweaks here and there on the model itself, now as far as a lightmap goes, does anyone know how to create a light map in maya?