Home Technical Talk

Max and Render to Texture Material IDs

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
So like, how do I in fact tell projection to tell render to texture to either A: Render only a certain Material ID, or B: Render all material IDS at once in separate maps (which I think it would be be able to do since its trying to combine them into one otherwise. So it would say Ok, throw this pixel on this map, throw this one on this other).

Without making multiple copies of the model with all polygons deleted expect for each material ID? This is for normal maps, which I think if I did the above would create to harsh an edge between the Ids? Not only that but having to create multiple projection and cages and setups for each.

I cant seem to google a explicit answer.

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not sure I fully understand the problem or why you're working that way, but I can think of two things off the top of my head.

1)
    - Render as normal with all materials to one map.
    - Copy your multi-sub material, replace each material with a flat unique color and render it out.
    -Inside photoshop select each unique color and use that selection to cut via layer.

2)
    Put each material on its own UV channel, moving the other parts off to the side. Then in RTT you can render out each channel. You might be able to add multiple diffuse outputs so they all render at the same time.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    My material Ids overlap, so render to texture normally will overlap them when rendering. It sounds like 2 is the best option as I can save the uv layout, and just call it up everytime I need to switch material ids. So I dont have to go to a previous saved version of the file.

Still, a time waster. I cant understand why Render to Texture has no option to only render 1 material ID versus attempting to do them all. Or at least a better option to render out the material IDs unto separate maps at the same rendering time since it tries to overlap them anyways. >That< would be a time saver.

Thanks Vig!