Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[ Portfolio ] - Jesse Hall , Environment Artist

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
IronHawk polycounter lvl 10
Hey guys could you give my folio a look over and give me some pointers on where to improve it. My next push is entering the UC challenge. Thread coming soon.

Thanks all.

Jesse

www.Jhall3d.com

Replies

• Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    I think all your work is great. Layout of the site is fine, my only gripe is flash, (why does everyone use that stupid lightbox flash thing?) which is slower and more cumbersome than a straight up HTML folio. But that's my own personal opinion. I certainly wouldn't hold it against you if you were looking for a job . . . mostly.

I'd say the main thing is just to get a few more pieces up there. You have 2 quality game pieces, and then a couple of other random things. Get that up to 5 or so quality game pieces and you're in business.

Nice stuff btw.

Edit: Oh, also on your Resume, I'd put links to Doc & PDF versions of it.
  • Kawe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kawe polycounter lvl 8
    You can speed up the javascript thing so it gets less annoying.
    Also I'd try to put that turret into a better environment to sell it even more. Not something big and fancy that takes attention away but something to show you know what it was made for. I think that's something people should be looking for when they hire people. Sure some people can make individual great pieces but things that are coherent aren't as common I believe.
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    im not sure man, for me this is good, no change, just keep adding good stuff as you have.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    You want to be an environment artist, so might as well call yourself one in your title. I'd totally goto town on making a world to go around the turret. I also wouldn't call the turret done because you still need to tweek the spec map as mentioned in its thread. Other than that everything is looking great.
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Fellas. I think the challenge will be good for my folio. Got some good things cooking and hoping to get a thread going by end of the week here.

Nick - I like the lightbox because it centers the image and I dont like the white border you get with plain html. That white flash makes dark renders like my alley scene look like ass on a bright monitor. I'll take a look into speeding it up and using a different method. I found another viewer called high slide someone posted on here that looks faster and allows saving images. Well at least till I get a better handle on HTML and a decent background. Right now I'm focused more on the content then the site itself. Thanks for the crits.

Kawe - Thanks man. I'm looking at other methods of displaying those images.

Bugo - Thanks man! Hope you drop some crits on my teams challenge thread once we get it rolling here.

Brandon - Thanks bro. I'll be following through on that turret. Times been tight but I've got a few more things figured out here and will have time to focus on that. I've also been doing some material studies and 3d doodles before making that final pass. Great idea about expanding that to an environment. Plenty of reference out there now that the game is so close to release. A mar sara shot would be tight.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NP use what you want. But you can totally change any color you want in HTML, including the borders on images/links (or just get rid of the border!)

Also it confuses me as your current lightbox gives all your images a white border too. . . ?
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    well if you use a pop up in html, you have the navigation window, etc the scrollbar and everything else, the lightbox gives a small whiteborder, if you use a pop up its just a regular IE or Firefox window whatever size you deem necessary for the window, and then some browser folks may have javascript turned off or a pop up blocker.

Flash type lightbox doesn't need a pop up as it's in the same window and ease of use... just my thoughts on why people use it.

Looking good ironhawk, I'm remaking my city apartment building with the help you gave me! Thanks again.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry, I don't want to drag this out (but I guess I am anyway).

I don't like popups either, so don't use them.

Make each thumbnail in the gallery load a page with the fullsize image, in the same window. Color the border/background however you like. Put a Next, Previous, and Home button around the full size image.

Edit: Sorry Ironhawk, I swear that's my last sentence on the subject. Your site looks great, keep up the good work.
  • salman_fas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also there is no continuity between the last image of the first row and first image of second row.

Edit: I am sure Nick is talking about my website :) (right Nick?)
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yes, with the exception that I prefer each image on a different page, so as not to bog down the loading of any given image/page.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    salman_fas wrote: »
    Also there is no continuity between the last image of the first row and first image of second row.

Edit: I am sure Nick is talking about my website :) (right Nick?)

He may have fixed it, but it looks like it's separated by project to me. First and city and textures, then a break then the sentry gun and textures then misc...

He has them on 3 separate rows, they only wrap when your browsers not wide enough.
  • salman_fas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    When the Image Viewer loads and you are on Specular Map of building, there's no next button on it that would take to the sentry gun. I don't know if that would make or break anything but I would personally prefer if there was one.
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah the galleries are separated by scene / model.

you make a good point Nick about using html. I'll probably go that route in the future. Lightbox is pretty easy to setup and I preferred that method of displaying the images. The white border I was talking about was if the images are solo with no background the default background is white.

Thanks again for the comments guys.