Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

hellion (game character)

this is another character for the game darkwar that i am working on..

description of the hellion from the wiki

http://www.digitalfunk.org/darkwar/wiki/index.php?title=New_Design_Document

Hellion - these soldiers are equipped with thrust boots (and possibly a thruster backpack), and folding wings on their back, the wings never fold up completely, so they are somewhat clumsy while earthbound, but once they take to the air they are agile flyers and capable of flying almost as well underwater as in the air (albeit slower), their specialties are recon and tactical strikes (using their grenade launcher to strike specific targets before attempting to get back to an APC or base to rearm, their machinegun also works but at the distances involved the accuracy is not that great). They are best taken out by rapid fire weaponry (in particular the Minigun Turret) or Dropship.

this is the still wip concept art..

hellionarmor2pp0.jpg

and i figured i might as well see what the concept art would look like so i just started on this, i may change the concept but not too much from this.. this would be the general idea.
*note* the base mesh was just a quick throw together of an older mesh so that i could place things properly, most of that mesh wont make it into the final model, so things like the hands and feet will be completely redone.

hellionwipil0.jpg

Replies

• Ro-Sham-Bo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Things i noticed, this cafes are really small and so is his ankle. I also feel like the wingspan should be increased look at birds for expample their wingspan is pretty large compared to their bodies. not saying you should go to large but a little larger would make the wing look alot better. here is a wing refrence i found in 2 secs.

condor_compare_chart.jpg
  • planaria
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i finally got the chance to work on this one again, and pretty much tore a lot of the old concept away to streamline this one..

hellion_armor.jpg

still needs a lot of work but im liking the shape of things much more now.
  • planaria
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    having a hard time with the feet bah!

hellionarmormv2.jpg
  • Proxzee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like what is going on with the arms, but the legs are looking a bit plain. You're original drawing had a lot of cool shapes in it, but this bulky model doesnt look like it can fly. Can you post the wireframe?

For the calf, i think they should look a little thin, the silhouette is pretty ambiguous. Adding some contrast to the limbs would be nice, like making really thick thighs, but thin bird like feet and calfs. A more streamlined helmet would be cool, though it looks like yours has a bit too much roundness.
  • planaria
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks proxzee, i tried tweaking the legs a bit, and replaced the feet. i also replaced the hands but there still sucking, anyone know of a good topology for lower poly hands?

hellionarmorwz3.jpg

also here is a wireframe shot.. although the model in its current state is definately not intended for realtime use..

hellionarmorlk9.jpg
  • planaria
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    quickly threw it into zbrush and took the concept art and smacked it on with projection master.. then used mask by intensity and did uniform displace inflation..

turned out pretty weak, but gives me a few ideas. anyway

hellionarmorsm7.jpg