Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] Jackwhat / ConceptMang

admin
Offline / Send Message
System admin
I've been playing around with the look of the blog and updating with more recent "work". Also, as im about to actually try my luck and send some applications around and abouts I was after some opinions / seals of approvel. Am i missing anything or what things should i do to strengthen my chances?

http://jackwhat.blogspot.com/

Opinions greatly appreciated! - Samples/WIPs that im still going to tidy up prior to sending my things off;

JackAllen_Studies.jpg

JackAllen_QuickConcepts2.jpg

0819PortalStormwip3.jpg

^ Is for a HL2 mod and is inspired by the portal storms! - should said... oops.

Replies

• bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bluekangaroo polycounter lvl 13
    I wouldnt say a blogspot should be frowned upon...Ive seen tonnes of blogs used as portfolios. But then again Ive also seen alot of artists where they have a blog and another portfolio site. So its your call....

As far as how much work you should show...I believe firmly that you shoul only show your best work that you are absolutely confident in. If you have 2 really strong pieces but 3 others that are ok and 1 that is bad, all that will do is lower the quality of work overall....So in my opinion keep it short and sweet....leave them wanting more
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    I hear what youre saying regarding the best piece thing... ive seen that sorta thing said quite a few times and it does make sense. Would that mean its ok to limit something to say... 5 shit hot pictures with a touch of variety? I have pride in what I do but at the same time I have no problems with anyone seeing all my work, the sorta shit i knockout on a day to day basis.

Cheers! <3
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bluekangaroo polycounter lvl 13
    Totally. From my knowledge employers generally have tonnes of submissions to wade thru before deciding on a candidate to hire. Your portfolio could be right in the middle of a stack of 200 other portfolios (lets say you submitted a throw-away/leave behind) and the guy looking at it all isn't gonna take a solid 5-10 minutes looking thru each persons portfolio. Hes gonna want to go home some time. If they see something thats good believe me theyll take the time to look a little more, otherwise theyll just skim thru. That is why I believe it is so vital that you put your best foot forward and grab their attention the first chance you get....again if you are confident in your everyday works then you can include them if you think it will show them something you can do right!

5 shit hot pieces would do just fine imo. They know you are a student and dont have a lot of experience and such a large portfolio. If they see some potential then take that as a sign that they have faith in you to produce better works and to keep growing as an artist.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Bump - updated the first post.
  • Crumplecakes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LOL, great use of color, the first shot reminds me of the vortex in the sky in Half-Life2:Episode 2.

oh and I really love how the cyborg zombie asks so politely if there are any brains about.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Heh, thanks! Yeah - the sky is inspired by the one from Episode2 but that was more of a request from the mod dudes. Although im in the process of making it more aurora like.
  • Razorb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Razorb polycounter lvl 15
    hey jack! that u from ca ? btw nice work! things are lookin good :)
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Heh yeah, the very same! And thanks a bunch... i was in your thread the other day, i shoulda left a comment! infact ill go have another looksee.