• pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Don't they also get 6 weeks of Vacation a year to boot?
  • LoTekK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LoTekK polycounter lvl 17
    "With nearly eight weeks of annual vacation, he still expects to travel to Salt Lake City next year to hear the University of Utah Singers, with plenty of time left over for visiting friends and family."

Jesus christ. EIGHT WEEKS?!
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    Lazy cheese eating, wine drinking, non-bill-paying, surrender monkeys.
  • Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    Hah, you guys are just jealous. =D
    Most of us don't really get that much vacation though, it's like 2 days off per month. and Most don't work 35h weeks, we do the regular average 40-50 and then get extra days off to balance it out.

People working too much will just drive the world insane!
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    or...you work 50 hours paid 35 and can shove the paid overtime up your ass :)
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Laissez - NOT faire

24 days off a year plus overtime comp days, (which can quickly equal that if you get one comp day every 2 weeks)... so 48 days (9.6 weeks) of average time off?

That's awesome enjoy it while it lasts. Someone is bound to muck up the work week and the health care. =/

When I work over my 40hrs, and my fingers are nothing but nubs do I get a free finger replacement surgery? no. Do I get extra days off? Do I get overtime? And Americans get called lazy lay-abouts... pfft
  • Target_Renegade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
    Who can blame France for their ways?, it happens a lot in the south, shops are closed during la sieste in the summer, the Spanish eat late, Italians live la dolce vita and generally they live longer and happier lives for it. Enough of stereotypes though, probably depends in what industry you're in, the civil service in any nation gets at least 4 days more vacation than private companies do.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Sorry, am I missing the point to this thread?
  • SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    Vig wrote: »

When I work over my 40hrs, and my fingers are nothing but nubs do I get a free finger replacement surgery? no. Do I get extra days off? Do I get overtime? And Americans get called lazy lay-abouts... pfft

You should. Actually, you're supposed to?
  • ironbearxl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ironbearxl polycounter lvl 18
    I work 130hrs a week.
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    sheesh read the article..
    "Even in France, workers average 41 hours a week, thanks to overtime and those workers, like farmers and the self-employed, who aren't subject to the short week. That's more than Germany or Britain — and not much less than the average 41.7 hours worked in the United States in 2006."

Though I must admit that 8 weeks vacation that one guy has is pretty impressive.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    SouL wrote: »

In the US, "professionals" are exempt from the Fair Labor Standards Act. "Professional" usually means manager or you had to get degrees and certifications to do your job but I found this snippet on a website:

"Some employees may also perform "creative professional" job duties which are exempt. This classification applies to jobs such as actors, musicians, composers, writers, cartoonists, and some journalists. It is meant to cover employees in these kinds of jobs whose work requires invention, imagination, originality or talent; who contribute a unique interpretation or analysis."

this is why most game artist are paid salary and no overtime. But I guess it's a grey area, I'm listed as non-exempt so I get overtime (also means I don't get any bonuses). I'm guessing it's the EA spouse thing so all hires after that are getting classified as non-exempt.
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    The 8 weeks vacation.. omg... I work about 45-50 hours and no compensation because Im like Justin says a "professional". I get 4 weeks and Im not allowed to take more than one week off in a stretch... suckkks
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    Sorry, am I missing the point to this thread?

Yeah no shit, i dont live in France but i love my 37.5 hour work week here. Not to mention my healthcare and 5 weeks of paid vacation time(6 including national holidays)

Its fun to have a life and actually live it outside the office.

Hmm and overtime,i think i get paid for it too but i have done about 4 total hours in 1 years time
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL wrote: »
    Nope, I'm exempt. But its not a big deal, I paint a grim picture when its not that bad. Personally I wouldn't trade my situation for more time off.

Getting paid salary is really nice where I'm at. Most of the time our schedule is so well thought out I don't need to work over time IF I don't want to. I can easily spend 40-50hrs at work, mostly because I love my job and really like to spend a little extra time putting the polish on things or helping other artists out with scripts and technical what not.

On the flip side if I can get all my work done in 30-35hrs I can leave early every day and no one blinks. As long as your work gets done and you stay when its needed everyone is happy.

The bonuses when we meet our numbers are outstanding. Being vested in the company that has the potential to pay off big if we ever sell, is a large part why we all work as hard as we do.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    You know how many weeks of vacation I took last year?

NONE.

Lazy snail-eaters.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    a week off is the upper limit of the amount of vacation time I can stand, I start to get antsy around day 4.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Hehe boys you should try it, it's actually pretty cool to have some time to spend in the evening outside of the office :P

But then again, I'm on 40hours now haha stupid Oncle Sam!
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    I love my 5 weeks off.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    once we accrue 200 hrs of PTO we have to take mandatory vacations, that's harsh!