Home General Discussion

Suggestions for 3d Game Art schools

Hey guys,
I'm in starting my Junior year in High School and beginning to look at colleges. I know it is not exactly urgent but I'm just wondering where people are going or what they think are some good schools.

I'm looking at 3D Art (3D Environment Art to be more specific). The thing that I'm most worried about is that I have heard a lot of colleges will take you as if you have very little 3d application experience but a good amount of computer graphics knowledge. I may not be amazing at the moment but I do think that I have a base with Maya and 3ds max... not to mention where I will be in two years. So I guess I would prefer a school that is flexible and very understanding of where their students are.

The only two schools that I have looked at are Champlain College (VT) and The Art Institute of San Fransisco (CA).

Love to hear any information you have.

Thanks.

EDIT:

What do people think about applying to deferring a year (from wherever I decide my best option is), getting a basic computer related job that doesn't take up all my time so I can build up my portfolio. Then, in the middle of the summer before I would go to college, apply to everywhere I can think of. There may not be a huge chance of getting a job but I will at least have somewhere to fall back on. If I do get a job then that is great and maybe someday I might go back and get my degree in Fine Arts or something else.

Replies

• J Randall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    J Randall polycounter lvl 15
    http://www.gamedev.net/reference/business/features/schools1/

You get what you give, props for planning your future early on.
  • Dusty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If I could do it all over again I would have never gone to AI. Most of my teachers did not have the faintest clue on making art for games. I learned more coming to sites like this and doing mod work. That said I would NOT discourage anyone from getting a degree.

I would highly recommend a school that teaches you to be an artist first and foremost. Learn about color, design, drawing, anatomy...blah blah. The 3d stuff is easy and there is loads of information online to help you along that part of it. You need to develop basic skillsets that will be with you throughout your entire career. Look into fine art schools and what they have to offer.

Just my own opinion, Im sure others will differ.
  • r4ptur3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r4ptur3 polycounter lvl 10
    I recently gradated from the Gnomon School of VFX (hollywood) and they kick quite a bit of ass. They are expanding their video game department so now is a great time to check them out. www.gnomonschool.com / www.gnomonology.com. They advertise as a generalist school, but you can totally pick and choose your courses as you work your way through the program. AIM me at sogni guasti if you have any questions :)
  • Talbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Randall: Is it just or are the schools listed on that page more about the non-art side of Game Development?

Dusty: It's funny that you say that because I was actually planning on asking what people thought of the theory that Game Art Schools are so new that, at the moment, they really aren't the best option.

Also I'm wondering if there are any particular schools that you could suggest me taking a look at.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
  • Talbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r4ptur3: I'm definitely interested in talking to you... but it is 12:50 am and I don't feel now wouldn't be the best time. I will add you on AIM and maybe tomorrow we can talk.

My AIM is: STiNordie

Thanks.
  • Dusty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I dont know of any fine art programs in particular, I didnt get the chance to do alot of research back in high school because I was honestly clueless about becoming an adult. Im currently still working on that 8 years later...

Im sure there are plenty of colleges that are recognized for their art programs, I would give them a call.
  • sicsided
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://www.gamecareerguide.com/

Here is a good place to start out at. It is an offshoot site of http://www.gamasutra.com which a great site for info on the game industry and not just video game news.

I am going to Brown College in Mendota Heights, MN right now for game design and development degree. It teaches everything in game development from programming to art, along with theory on both sides plus group working. Although it is really just a small tech school, there are some great teachers here that really know what they are doing and are vets in the industry. As for the rest of the school, it is so-so. The tech support can kiss my ass and if you fail a class you are basically screwed on getting a fixed schedule from there on out (So don't fail!) Otherwise, I am about 4 months from graduating and the only thing I wish I had was more time to work on my own stuff. I am more on the art side, but I know how to talk and know what limits the programming side is working with so I don't make art that is millions of poly's past what our engine can run.

They have the whole course setup so you will be building a portfolio, making contacts along the way. Very well laid out class that intertwine with each other.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] polycounter lvl 18
    I'm not in the industry yet, so take this advice with a grain of salt, but I'd suggest getting a degree in something lame but widely relevant (like business management) from a community college, loading up on fine art courses on the side (or as a second major or a minor, or whatever they'll let you do), and learning everything game-specific online from boards like this one. That's what I'd have done 8 years ago, had I known then what I know now.
  • J Randall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    J Randall polycounter lvl 15
    Heh 1 vote for starting polycount university.

*edit I will help.
    Just clicked on a couple job opening in the 3d world, and there's some game art production houses that do internships with some colleges in their local area, so it may come down to where do you want to work and what schools are near by?
  • FunkaDelicDass
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FunkaDelicDass polycounter lvl 18
    I'd say go to a school that is going to train you to be a great artist. Learn about game art by posting/reading in these forums.
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    You don't want to miss out on the 4 year college experience. just make sure to work on your 3d on the side. A BFA is worth it.
  • Kawe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kawe polycounter lvl 8
    If you can't find a really good 3D school I'd say going for traditional art is a lot more worth it. Picking up 3D is like picking up a tool... if you don't know what to use it for it doesn't matter if you know how to use the tool. Personally I picked up 3D pretty quickly and I am now struggling so badly with the actual "art" aspect... and I regret not drawing stuff since I was little, lol. Erh.. my point is... you can teach yourself 3d no problem.. traditional stuff is a lot harder to teach yourself I'd say.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yup, another vote for traditional art training. I went here, http://risd.edu and it was awesome for me.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    Yes, go traditional art training and learn the ways of the computer through tutorials and via the web. I won't knock gnomon or vfs, or guildhall but I believe only of those 3 guildhall actually gives you a degree Gnomon and VFS are certificate schools. IIRC. I got a BFA in Computer Animation and I learned more from here and hanging out in IRC with these guys then I did in class. They weren't even teaching folks about normal mapping and hi poly skills or anything in our classes. :D

We should really sticky one of these someday. It seems it's asked every few days the last couple months.
  • tremulant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tremulant polycounter lvl 17
    Get a fine arts degree...and mod and learn 3d on the side. Also don't spend yourself into ruin.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Normally I bag on 90% of the game art schools around. The great ones are well known enough to speak for themselves but are really expensive and hard to get into but offer some great tips, connections and with a 95% placement rating people beat down their door to go.

However their numbers are a bit skewed.

Their high post grad employment rates are because they only accept people who could already be working in the industry... Kind of dastardly if you think about it. But if people need a few years gain to confidence and connections, I'd be happy to trade them a mountain of cash too.

With that out of the way, a degree factors into not only into IF you get hired but how much you'll be making. Chances are you'll start higher and be viewed as less of a risk. Now how much higher remains to be seen. Normally its not enough to really start digging out from the mountain of debt that was incurred. But once those loans are paid off things start to look pretty great.

Also keep in mind that entry level art, is one of the least paying jobs in the industry. Thanks to outsourcing and a flood of people trying to get in wages are kept pretty low. But it has the potential to build into something great, normally after a few titles and a company switch.

Since most of your connections will come from whatever school you attend pay attention to where the school is and if you'll can live and work in that area post graduation. It's a bitch to graduate, save up for a move, relocate, find a temp job so you can survive and scratch around for an entry level position doing what you really want to do.

You're in a great position and its awesome you're starting to think about this now. I'd also take this time to try out the other disciplines the industry hires for. Like Programing, even a smattering of programming can make you a more valuable artist. Or Animation, Production or possibly Design.

You've got some time, but don't waste it, try some stuff out and see if its really right for you. There's no shame is loving games and finding a job that allows you a comfortable life with a lot of time to play. But it really sucks finding out after the mountain of debt is strapped to your back that this wasn't the right move.
  • Sandbag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sandbag polycounter lvl 18
    Northern Illinois University (two hours-ish depending on traffic from chicago) had a great Illustration department and an incredible Graphic Design department when I went there (from what I can see on the website no important staff have changed/left), though the rest of the fine arts major programs were terrible...I would highly recommend Illustration over Graphic Design, but the head of their department was so talented that they're worth pointing out regardless...

I'm sure there are plenty of schools closer to where you live that could offer similar quality though. The biggest thing I would stress is looking for a school that will teach you Illustration because it's the easiest way to get teachers that are good at and happy with the idea and creation of commercially geared art, as opposed to the more typical "starving artist" abstract feel-your-feelings fine art that many other programs stress.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll recycle what i posted in the last thread like this =)

From what i've read over the years, most "Game Specific" schools and programs tend to be rather lacking, and outdated. The best advice i can give you is that if you're looking into going to school, you should go from some sort of traditional art course, learn painting, sculpting, etc all of these things will help you a lot more in the long term. The course you'de take in a game-related program generally will simply teach you how to use applications like 3dsmax, or maya but not really teach you how to be good at them or many fundamental art skills.

You can learn 3d applications in your spare time, theres plenty of resources and you're likely better off just doing tutorials on the internet than you would be in a class. Now of course this isnt the right way for everyone, some people really need that class environment and really thrive in it. At the end of the day its what you put into it, if you sign up for a game course and only put in the bare min to get your degree you'll be spending a couple years afterwards continuing your art on your own before you'll be good enough to actually get a job. Now if you really push yourself to the limit, spend all the time you possibly can working on your art in and outside of class you'll do much better. Like most things in life it comes down to what you put into it.

Now, as far degrees making it more likely to get you a job and things of that nature. Generally the most important thing is going to be your portfolio, if you've got a great portfolio and no degree you can still get a job pretty easily, and after that would be experience, even stuff like mod experience(if you have some decent work to show from it) is better than simply having a degree in my book. Because it shows you're a motivated person that can get things done on their own time, not just when they are paying to take classes. And then finally the degree comes into play, if you were up for a job with someone and had roughly the same talent, and same amount of experience, and neither of you were retards and had strange personality problems, the one with the better degree would likely be the one to get hired(or the one who will work for less! =P). Degrees can be very useful if you plan on trying to get work outside of your country, because with out a degree that is virtually impossible. So thats one last thing to keep in mind.
  • Ryan Clark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryan Clark polycounter lvl 18
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    Meh, there's a lot of debate of whether it's useful or not.

I went to Cogswell College in Sunnyvale. I learned a lot from the teachers, and I learned a lot more from my fellow students.

While you might be able to just sit with some knowledgable people and gain the same skills, I certainly would not have learned nearly as much without having gone to A school. Maybe I would have learned more/less elsewhere, but I certainly don't regret going to Cogswell. The level of some of the artists there is impressive, and there are graduates from my school in nearly every game/cg/fx company I know of.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    there's also some articles in the latest game career guide about schooling

http://gamedeveloper.texterity.com/gamedeveloper/2008careerguide/
  • Talbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the advice everyone! I would try and reply to everyone but I think that would take too long. Instead I'm going to ask another question.

What do people think about applying to deferring a year (from wherever I decide my best option is), getting a basic computer related job that doesn't take up all my time so I can build up my portfolio. Then, in the middle of the summer before I would go to college, apply to everywhere I can think of. There may not be a huge chance of getting a job but I will at least have somewhere to fall back on. If I do get a job then that is great and maybe someday I might go back and get my degree in Fine Arts or something else.

Let me know what you guys think. I'm going to add this question to my original post also.
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    Get a BFA (fine arts) degree from a real accredited university. Master Photoshop in your spare time. Work independently on 3d skills, making use of the knowledge of industry pros on this board. (Academics are often out of touch with what is current with 3d technically.) If desired, do a few 3d classes at school or through seminars with industry pros just to broaden your knowledge of the apps a little.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    are you concerned about getting into schools? I wouldnt stress that too too much; if you work hard, and show you can work hard by providing good art, you should be ok.

Get an art degree, and take the art seriously. Don't go to get an art degree and flake off fundamentals just because you really want to make games.

Take a look at your work objectively. If one of your pieces were in a game right now, would you think it was cool? Is your work as good, or better than what is out on the market today? If you do not feel comfortable with your art it won't bode well for ya :P Likewise, if its not as good if not better than what is out there today, why would anyone hire ya? Not trying to be an ass, just pointing out there is a fairly obvious benchmark to see if you're "ready."

Id say pick something and have at it. Get a BFA at a university or state school, work hard, become a better artist, and look for a job. Get a job at Home Depot, and chill :P

contrary to all this rabble, there are a fair number of people who've just dove right in too w/o a degree :)
  • parasyte7
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    parasyte7 polycounter lvl 19
    I like how you mention Home Depot in that post Moose. Do you miss it?

I agree with Maury. Benchmark your work against what is currently out there. I would pick up some Gnomon DVDs, a copy of Zbrush and/or Mudbox, Maya and/or Max and just learn it. Fill up sketch books and work on your anatomy and draw from life.

I recommend the Academy of Art, Art Center, Ringling, SCAD or Vancouver Film School. Those are schools that I find the best entry level people at. Animation Mentor if you want to learn animation.

Just my 2 cents.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    lol, not at all :) it is however a great place to make some cash while in school that'll broaden your experiences :)
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    parasite7 wrote: »

I recommend the Academy of Art, Art Center, Ringling, SCAD or Vancouver Film School. Those are schools that I find the best entry level people at. Animation Mentor if you want to learn animation.

Just my 2 cents.

Just remember there's a difference between a degree and a certificate. VFS is awesome but it's 46k for one year and it's not a degree.