Home General Discussion

choke

Replies

• Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    been anticipating the soundtrack more, but this looks good!
  • Armanguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Armanguy polycounter lvl 17
    wow never heard about this movie but damn that looks funny :D
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    I've gotta read the book first...
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    To be honest, I'm surprised they went with this over Survivor. I read Choke and kept waiting for Tyler Durden to poke his head up and say something witty or educational. Some formula for the book was taken straight out of Fight Club, IMO.

Either way, it should be fun. I suppose my points aren't a bad thing, I just think Survivor would have made for a better movie.

Shrug.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
  • SubPablo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SubPablo polycounter lvl 17
    I never would have though they'd go so light-hearted with this. The book had plenty of humor in it, but I never got this type of impression from it. I heard the audiobook version narrated by Palahniuk was read in a much more somber Fight Clubbie way as well. -But either way, I'll still see it.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    adamBrome wrote: »
    To be honest, I'm surprised they went with this over Survivor. I read Choke and kept waiting for Tyler Durden to poke his head up and say something witty or educational. Some formula for the book was taken straight out of Fight Club, IMO.

Either way, it should be fun. I suppose my points aren't a bad thing, I just think Survivor would have made for a better movie.

Shrug.
    HAHA, Adam! I had the same impression. It did feel a lot like Fight Club and was slightly disappointed because I wanted something different. I did enjoy the book however and have been looking forward to the film as well.
    I'll have to give Survivor a read though.

-caseyjones
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    trailer, meh.
    music, meh.
  • steady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    steady polycounter lvl 18
    heh i read this on a plane
    was funny to see the scene at the strip joint in the trailer
  • FAT_CAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FAT_CAP polycounter lvl 18
    Read the book while on holiday last year and found it a bit of a struggle compared to Haunted which I had read just before. The ending left me really unimpressed aswell.

This looks like it could be a good adaptation and the music sounded cool - anybody know who the music was by on the trailer?
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Adam: Invisible Monsters is also being made into a film, maybe you'll like that more?
    The trailer for this isn't really doing it for me, but I'll watch it anyway. Has anyone read Rant already? All the way through reading it, I thought "that'd probably make a good film".
  • ImSlightlyBored
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ImSlightlyBored polycounter lvl 13
    SubPablo wrote: »
    I never would have though they'd go so light-hearted with this. The book had plenty of humor in it, but I never got this type of impression from it. I heard the audiobook version narrated by Palahniuk was read in a much more somber Fight Clubbie way as well. -But either way, I'll still see it.
    he should be banned from reading audiobooks.
    Slowest god damn seven hours of my life - it was completely monotone. Monotone =/= sombre :(

I liked the story though.
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FAT_CAP wrote: »
    Read the book while on holiday last year and found it a bit of a struggle compared to Haunted which I had read just before. The ending left me really unimpressed aswell.

This looks like it could be a good adaptation and the music sounded cool - anybody know who the music was by on the trailer?

The score's done by Radiohead, which is awesome because in interviews, Palahnuik's been quoted as saying Radiohead's Creep inspired Choke to begin with.
  • FAT_CAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly wrote: »
    The score's done by Radiohead, which is awesome because in interviews, Palahnuik's been quoted as saying Radiohead's Creep inspired Choke to begin with.

Ah - interesting. Radiohead are one of those bands where I like the singles they put out but the albums always leave me feeling dry - is this an all new score or just songs that have been picked to go with the film?
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's not true, Snowfly. That was misquoted.
    Radiohead aren't even doing a new songs for it, as was first reported. One of their songs is being used for the end titles.
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dang you're right. Just read the counter reports on that. I'm miserable now.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, it was painful reading the corrections :/
  • FAT_CAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ^^ That still don't answer my question though dammit!
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't know. When I first saw the trailer, I had Simian and Clap Your Hands Say Yeah stuck in my head, but that's mostly due to the vocals :)
  • FAT_CAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr. Pea is right - a quick youtube-ing confirms that it is Clap Your Hands Say Yeah.

Also looked up Simian and was surprised that they were the band that went on to be Simian Mobile Disco who I love. I didn't think I'd heard of them before until stumbling on justice vs simian - we are your friends on youtube aswell which is one of my favourite songs and made the connection.

Good taste MightyPea!
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh, it's them, then? cool. And yeah, Simian are pretty great. The Justice 'remix' (as it's a pretty heavy reworking, really) is excellent, but the original's a wonderful song too. And yeah, Simian Mobile Disco is great at the whole modern electro-ish stuff.
    If you like you could add me on last.fm, and I'll be sure to send you recommendations when I see something along those lines, my username is Mighty_pea
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] polycounter lvl 18
    I'm really hoping they eventually do a Rant movie. There's like an 80% they'd mess it up anyway, but if they didn't it would be awesome.