Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

UT3 Character - Rankin returns

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
clee101 polycounter lvl 18
Hi all. Heres a Unreal character Im going to be modeling for UT3. Its a remake of Rankin from UT99. He was my favorite character in UT99, and after seeing Spacemonkey's Sarge and Spitty's Visor come to life here, I am inspired to do one to get it into UT3. Coming up with the concept, I was inspired by UT3, Gears of War, Spacemonkey, Spitty, and Dave King's Quake concepts. This will get me started, and it is still w.i.p. Any and all C&C are welcome.

UT99:
UT_rankin.jpg

UT_rankin2.jpg

Replies

• Armanguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Armanguy polycounter lvl 17
    didnt you make a thread on this already?
  • Kawe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kawe polycounter lvl 8
    Armanguy wrote: »
    didnt you make a thread on this already?

I'm very sure I saw it too.. but I can't find it. hmm.
  • MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    yeah i think it was deleted for having parts of daveking's work in the original concept
  • clee101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Armanguy- Yes, but I made a new one fixed and back from the drawing board.

MikeF- Yes it was deleted. And now its back fixed.
  • spacemonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spacemonkey polycounter lvl 18
    n596170772_272718_8503.jpg

I see paint over pieces from this guy that I did some time ago.

Are you the guy who recently asked permission to model him?
  • PixelGoat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelGoat polycounter lvl 12
    B u s t e d :d
  • Armanguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Armanguy polycounter lvl 17
    PixelGoat wrote: »
    B u s t e d :d

oh noes a sci-fi soldier they never look the same psshhh... let the kid model the 3d model
  • ThatDon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ThatDon polycounter lvl 11
    What tim is getting at, if you take the 2 in photoshop and overlay you can see pieces of tims original painting in there. aka not cool.
  • clee101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spacemonkey- Yes I used your concept as reference and inspiration, but I painted it. I did mention you as inspiration. Im am not copying your character, I am still making my own. Is this ok with you?

I want to make it clear that I am not trying to steal or copy other artists work. I was trying to use them as reference. Yes, I made a mistake at first with using part of Dave KIng's concept and pasting it into my sketch without mentioning his name. I did a quick and dirty job to get a concept going. I apoligize for my mistakes and wish for it to never happen again. If there is anything else you guys think is wrong, please let me know and I will gladly scrap it and start over again from scratch. The concept is not a final piece yet. I hope this clears things.
  • clee101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, I am scrapping the concept I have.. I am throwing it away. I will start from scratch again. My apologies..
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Twice in a row? ouch.
  • clee101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes.. shame on me. Now I know better...
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    clee101 wrote: »
    Yes.. shame on me. Now I know better...

that doesn't quite sound sincere

People get sued, fired, kicked out of school for stuff like this, do it enough and you get a reputation. I know this may be a personal piece for fun but I like to think that polycount users hold themselves and others to a higher standard.

Best advice, your reference should never enter the paint area

oh yeah, and time stamp reveals your ninja edit, 2 hours after spacemonkey's post.

Come back with a cool concept you drew yourself and you will be redeemed, water under the bridge.
  • Havok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Havok polycounter lvl 14
    Are you the guy who recently asked permission to model him?

No, I am, but I realized I needed more practice before I started it, though. It will get done eventually.
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
    that doesn't quite sound sincere

People get sued, fired, kicked out of school for stuff like this, do it enough and you get a reputation. I know this may be a personal piece for fun but I like to think that polycount users hold themselves and others to a higher standard.

Best advice, your reference should never enter the paint area

oh yeah, and time stamp reveals your ninja edit, 2 hours after spacemonkey's post.

Come back with a cool concept you drew yourself and you will be redeemed, water under the bridge.

copiing could get you seriously in trouble, once i almost got kicked out from school, because i copied some text from wikipedia for a presentation, and the teacher busted me,
    it ended up in recreating the work from half a year within one evening to stay at school
    (i can say this is no fun, almost like forking for small companies, that are calling that the work given should be finished the next day)

edit: but it tought me a lesson, i decidet to get a badass and now im one of the tree best students in my semester
  • ThatDon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ThatDon polycounter lvl 11
    ^^^^^^^^^^^
    Give this man a cookie! :p

ohh and the author should read my sig, and learn something from a genius!
  • Delaney King
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Delaney King polycounter lvl 18
    Yep, image was deleted because it infringed on copyright. Better a friendly slap now than a lawsuit from someone serious later. I agree- come back with a fresh paint and you get a second go! You can really damage your reputation if your caught cheating- it calls all your folio work into question and would seriously damage your chances of getting good work.
  • clee101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, heres my concept I drew myself.

rankin_concept2.jpg
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    pretty cool! the bottom part is nice, but the top pose seems uncomfortable.
    the hips seem twisted slightly clockwise when viewed from the top (because of his left foot standing in front) so, logically his shoulders should be twisted the other way (counter-clockwise) to make the pose seem natural and relaxed.

then again, it might be that i'm talking bullshit ;). keep it up!
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    Wow. I never saw what you posted originally, but this new concept looks promising. Go for it! If you pull it off, it could look pretty beast.
  • J Randall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    J Randall polycounter lvl 15
    What does the back look like? just to make you aware on gameartisans there's a armor concept going on there a guy is doing, watch out for that to influence you.

Keep at it man.
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    I like the new concept. And yeah, if I remember correctly you had a really nice dominance war entry this year so there really is no need for you to copy others. Keep it original and you will probably end up with better models anyways.
  • clee101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir- Thanks, you could be right about the angle of the shoulders, but I dont want to dwell on the concept too long.. I have moved onto modeling him now.

Cody- Thanks man, I hope I will pull it off too.

J Randall- I will work out the back later on as I start modeling it out. I will come up with a sketch of details of the back. Thanks.

Bradmyers82- Yes, you are right, thanks. Thanks for remembering me from the Dominance War3. I remember you too.