Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] King Mango

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
King Mango polycounter lvl 10
Hey guys please tear apart my website.
And if anyone can tell me why some of my rollovers work and others don't that'd be sweet too. :rockon:

www.polytyrant.com

Replies

• Deathead
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My only suggestion is that you have a navigation. Because I was on the screenshot page but I couldn't go back without hitting back. Having a little navigation so we don't have to hit back and then click on something else would be good.
  • King Mango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That is something I'm working on. I used the PS script from Simple Viewer. It turns the whole page into a swf and I haven't gotten the nav inserted yet as I can't figure out how to modify the generated gallery.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    There's a Folio? Where!? I click the link, and I'm looking at a single image, with no links or other images. . .
  • Deathead
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy: Go to LEVEL DESIGN, there is what you seek.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    No, Tumberboy is right. Your splash page is going to stop a lot of people. This is why you shouldn't use a splash page. If someone else had to explain how to nav your site, it's broken.

This should be your site index: http://www.polytyrant.com/images/gallery/index.html
    It should also include a link to resume and contact information.

Speaking of resume, here's why you need one; I have no idea what you've done here (with the content on your site. Your splash page makes it sound like your worked for epic making levels. You should clear this up.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry, I actually did find the gallery, but I exagerated the dificulty to try and make a point.

I agree, no splash page.

If you absolutely HAVE to have a splash page, ALWAYS make your central image link to the gallery. and ALWAYS make sure the menu shows up on even the smallest of screens.

i.e. I wasn't running my browser maximized, so the menu was off screen when I loaded, and the image wasn't clickable.

Resume is a must, links to both a DOC and a PDF.

I personally hate flash for galleries. I think it's slow, and cumbersome, and just gets in the way of me viewing your fine art.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    I agree I'd probably remove the UT2004 logo as my impression was that you were working at Epic making levels for them.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] polycounter lvl 18
    I create game levels for the award-winning Unreal series of game titles. I am currently developing levels independently and am seeking employment in the game industry.

The way that's phrased on your bio page (the first part in particular) really makes it look like it's meant to imply that you worked for Epic.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    should be,

I am currently developing levels using the unreal engine 2 tech and am seeking employment in the game industry.

You really should start making some in UE3 too, UE2 is last gens tech...
  • King Mango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol didn't expect THAT many problems with it!

Great feedback guys. I really appreciate the help. I will implement as much as I can tomorrow when I get the comp to myself for a while. I like all the ideas and will find ways to address everything. :rockon:
  • King Mango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok have finally had a couple of hours this morning to rework it. I focused mainly on the gallery, rewording the bio, and changing the splash home page to be the bio as the homepage.
    I am working on a breakdown of what I was responsible for with each level. I have just moved to Texas and haven't gotten my comp shipped yet but I plan on adding clays of my custom meshes.

One of the reasons I went with flash for the first gallery was that I personally dislike when going through someone's gallery adds to history with each image. I don't know of a way to prevent this using HTML though.

Also does anyone know how to get rid of the hyperlink highlight colors around my thumbs on the gallery index page?
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    portfolio = main page! Why would your bio be the index? That's ridiculous, nobody cares who you are, that's what the interview is for, you can't get an interview if your portfolio is shabby. One step at a time.

border=0 is the html code to remove hyperlink highlights, it goes in the img tag
  • King Mango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    :thumbup: :beer:
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    much better/faster! Ya, the history thing is a bit of a pain, but not THAT big of a deal.
  • King Mango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you Tumerboy. I won't have time to work on it again til tomorrow, but I should have time to address the other issues I haven't quite gotten to yet. Thanks again for all your help fellas. :beer: