Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Roberta, a depth-charge drone + scene

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
adam polycounter lvl 19
Does this count as a character? God I hope not.. :poly122:

Quickie overview..
After finishing up the 'mod facade' challenge I quickly moved on to a new scene I want to have completed before the end of the month. The idea came after I saw a concept by Feng Zhu while in search of something to practice my hard-surface high poly modeling on. Not only did I want to get the practice in, but I wanted to do an environment scene that I could make quick enough while learning new things. Much like my mod facade challenge, I'd like this to be buitl in Unreal 3. However, if time does not permit I will put it all together in Max and get it done that way.

Story..
The idea, or story, that I came up with for my take on that concept was that this drone was actually a security measure for an underwater facility built back in the late 40's by some techno-crazed scientists. This drone, or as I've been calling her "Roberta", simply sits underwater chained to the sea floor waiting to be unleashed on an intruder that dares to cross her path. From a distance, she look much like her younger, dumber brother, something the scientists were hoping for. But once she's set in action there's no longer any confusion that she is infact NOT a naval mine.

You see, Roberta's 6-outlet purpolsion system springs in to action, her resting doors open for optimal visual input, and the mother-load is deployed from her inner workings just waiting to be released and rain hell on top of whomever her target may be.

And that's just 1 Roberta. Imagine an entire sea bed just littered with them waiting to be awoken.

The scene..
It'll be an underwater scene showing a few of these drone's resting, while 1 or 2 have been woken up and sent to destroy.

Notes of interest..
  • She's almost completely made of metal. Her main hull, the giant sphere, is copper.
  • She's taken out of the sea bi-weekly to have her payload exchanged which is when mother nature takes her toll on Roberta and oxidizes her copper hull, one repeated drip at a time.
  • Referring to this drone as a 'her' may imply there's just one of her. That she's a character all on her own, but I assure you, she's one of thousands resting, waiting...
  • I've only got the main asset completed for this scene. I still need to cook up a sea bed, some seaweed, bubbles, chains, etc. That'll be what the rest of the week is for. I'm hoping to have this all done by Friday.
The goods..
roberta_charshot1.jpg
roberta_charshot2.jpg

Highpoly #1

Highpoly #2

Replies

• Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    very good finish on this , I love the way the specular shows all those dents and scratches, looks like it would fit right into bioshock :)
  • frettchen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love that texturing - really really nice
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wiktor polycounter lvl 11
    Very nice work on the specular!
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    this is so god damned a character. character modeller.

nice weathering. I'd probably have put more paint scratched away on the seam of her down-low canister, where things are more likely to strike the edge. that glass looks dope.

not a whole lot reads as water-damage. i'm not sure how to rectify that... maybe algea growing on parts of it? could be as easy a fix as just having the bubbles/floating particles in the render you mentioned
  • Bryan Cavett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bryan Cavett polycounter lvl 19
    Nice texturing Adam. You should add some barnacles or other things growing on it. I know you say it gets taken out bi-weekly but it will help sell the underwater feel.
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    Sectaurs wrote: »
    this is so god damned a character. character modeller.

hahahah In YOUR FACE BROME! Next you'll be calling your Pr0n Collection "Reference" LOL
  • Kawe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kawe polycounter lvl 8
    man, I can see this in a movie... when it activates and those doors open.. ooh.. you have to animate it!
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Looks cool.
    I'm not sure i like the normal mapping on the 'body' of it, though. It looks blobby, and more importantly too bumpy. I'd expect sharp edges where paint has chipped away or it's been damaged, and instead i'm seeing this soft lumpy buildup that i don't quite know what is.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Thanks guys :)

Ged - Thanks man :) The goal was to do something that could fit within the world of Rapture

frettchen - Thanks dude. CGTextures.com if you're interested!

Disting - right on, thanks man! I'm still fighting with it as I'm not exactly happy with how it turned out but I'm glad its working

Sectaurs - As I am sure you're aware copper turns green/tuqouis when it oxidizes. I think the issue I've hit here is the specular on those areas being inaccurate. I'll be adjusting that today.

Bryan Cavett - I'm actually going to try and add in a few sea related things today :P (Seaweed, barnacles perhaps)

Josh_Singh: Nooooo! I feel dirty and want to shower :(

Kawe: haha, I actually have its master .max file setup to move all in unison and stuff. Not sure how to go about showing that off, though.

SupRore: Ya, I actually had harder edges on it a few days ago and it turned out entirely too noisey. More so than it already is. I went with something software so that some texture appeared in teh specularilty, all while keep it it somewhat 'clean' as to not be visually unappealing. I'll go back and see if I can find a medium area for both.
  • Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    Kawe wrote: »
    man, I can see this in a movie... when it activates and those doors open.. ooh.. you have to animate it!

Not to be a spoil-sport since its looking really kick-ass, but technically the concept has been in a commercial before, however it was smoother and made of chrome and used in SciFi's channel branding a few years back (If I remember correctly at least).
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    Looks good Adam. I feel like it's too uniform in some way.

Maybe add a layer of paint that is nearly worn off by now? Something to add more of a contrast in color, so it's not all just kind of rusty/copper brown? The Blue light is a great bit, but maybe like, old red stripes around the ends or something? I agree, a few barnacles would be good in some of the corners.

Post your textures!
  • Kawe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kawe polycounter lvl 8
    Illusions wrote: »
    Not to be a spoil-sport since its looking really kick-ass, but technically the concept has been in a commercial before, however it was smoother and made of chrome and used in SciFi's channel branding a few years back (If I remember correctly at least).

Nothing spoiled since you didn't provide a video :D

Nice try though.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Tumer, will post textures later on :P

Kawe & Illusions - regardless of its intent, my purpose is entirely different than the one in the concept so lets not worry about what it was meant for when he drew it and worry about what its meant for now, for this piece :P
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    Looks pretty cool adam. One thing that kinda stuck out was her big eye lens. I just don't think that it would be so worn/dirty if it's closed behind the hatches during idle time. I'd think that when she gets taken up for a reload, they'd at least wipe her lenses off. Could even make it look smudgy like they just took a rag and quickly wiped around in there.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Ah, its not air tight or anything. It's more just a defensive thing from on-coming sea debris and all that while she rests. The glass is completely exposed while they're covered like that.

As for whiping her off, I thought of that but then figured they - whoever THEY are - wouldn't really give a shit since she's more or less a "hunk of junk" to them.

Glad you liked it Xeno.
  • StJoris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damn nice, I really like your idea of making it an environment piece by massing them on the seabeds.

I'm with Xeno on the glass though, some "wipe" marks would help sell it.
  • Saidin311
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saidin311 polycounter lvl 11
    Siiick. Nice texturing dude! Can't wait to see the flats.

Did you play around with any colours on her screens/lights? The blue is very underwater and cool and neutral, but I could almost imagine maybe a deep pink or red light somewhere on her. Need to bring in her feminine nasty side, especially her jealous rage at her younger dumber brother.
  • Kawe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kawe polycounter lvl 8
    Quick animation could be..

- Roberta in "silent" mode
    - A shadow passes by and there's some sound effects that sounds like.. uhm.. something moving through water
    - Roberta activates and flies out of camera in the direction of the shadow

Easy and it'll look neat :)
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    nice textures! dig it.

Not really too inspired by the design tbh. Looking ahead, I'd suggest including Zbrush in your texturing path, take the model in and do some specific surface work there for things that the PS filter / Crazybump just doesn't do very well (Solder, major dents & scratches). I think you could really push the sweet texturing further by doing some specific zbrush detailing and then playing the texture off of those as well.

Not thinking anything major like it was fucking destroyed by a [sword] giant hammer, but subtle things to give the shape more character than a circle. The texture work gives it gobs of character, but the shapes themselves just feel like they could be "livened" up with some subtle destruction/handcrafting.
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10
    nice one Adam looking forward to seeing more of this.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Finished!

Here she is with her sisters, protecting something just over the hills there in the background.

Some notes...
    • Rendered completely in Unreal 3
    • No post work in Photoshop besides the text
    • The scene's entire purpose is on the model of Roberta. This is one of the first scenes I'm done where emphasis was put on a single asset rather than the scene/environment as a whole.
      • The entire scene except for the ground texture & water material is on a single 1024x1024 texture. This helped put emphasis on Roberta and keep the texture count low.
    • I love Unreal entirely too much. The iterative process has been a happy & fun one the past few days. No longer will I do my scenes in Max, I reckon.
    • Big thanks to the guys who helped me out @ work with my barrage of Unreal related questions
    • Also worth mentioning was Jesse Moody & Vince's help on MSN, you guys rock. n00b questions inbound! :P
    roberta_scenefinal1b.jpg
  • Dakkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dakkon polycounter lvl 10
    Nice stuff A-Bomb :). I saw the bubbles on your screen moving at one point, and that all looked wicked in motion. Great scene all around!
  • jouste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jouste polycounter lvl 14
    loving it brome. really great atmosphere and mood, you really got the feeling of mechanical drones and the cold depths of the ocean going on.

initially i was curious on how you were integrating the top "eye" light but you pulled it off really well.
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10
    fantastic work Adam.
  • ImSlightlyBored
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ImSlightlyBored polycounter lvl 13
    real nice
    love the texturing
  • kary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kary polycounter lvl 18
    Nice piece. That final Unreal still is really well made, and makes me not want to go boating.
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    waaaaa waaaaa weeeee waaaaa IS nICE!

thats all i have to say bynow
  • Kawe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kawe polycounter lvl 8
    it looks really sweet :)
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    looks great! I didn't think this was what you were going to do with it, very nice surprise. downloaded for inspiration.

Alex
  • StJoris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very sweet work Adam pretty much as you had described earlier, so kudos for solid designing up front and making it live up to your ideas. I'm really curious with your happy iterative unreal process, haven't messed with it at all, but so good you don't do scenes in max has my attention.
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    To much jagged lines in the render :\

Other then that Pretty nice. Did you do the Water material your self?
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Thanks everyone, it was a lot of fun working on it :)
  • DInusty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DInusty polycounter lvl 17
    i love the style! nice work
  • EvilPixills
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EvilPixills polygon
    That is looking very nice man. Excellent job all around.
  • Popeye9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Popeye9 polycounter lvl 15
    nice job on the scene I really like it :)