Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: [HP]

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
[HP] polycounter lvl 13
hey guys, here's my thread! :)

I'll try to update it regularly with my work!

here's my first piece, nothing major or special, since I'm just getting started on this whole next gen prop modeling stuff, so here we go!

5wgsig.jpg

Replies

• [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Here's a prop I made, inspired by the Eat3d pillar tutorial.

It's not perfect, obviously. But I learn't a lot with it! So I'm confident the next ones will be much better.

LowPoly: 3dsmax
    High Poly sculpting: MudBox
    Textures: Photoshop

thanks

2agp6qu.jpg

kcky1h.jpg

35ivon6.jpg
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    5uecl2.jpg

2e4evxh.jpg

This one is my entry for speed texturing #27 at game-artist.net, some of the stuff have been rushed like the normal map, but I'm fairly satisfied with the quick results.
  • Snipergen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi there HP ;)
    I like your stuff, a shame nobody commented you so far because it's great work.
    Just a thumbs up here!
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Thank you very much Snipergen, I apretiate the feedback! :)

Another STC entry.

2hwcr36.jpg

29y58gw.jpg

2d1vfgw.jpg
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Couple things i noticed,

The piller looks like its made out of chalkstone, but you have steel wires going through it, so im guessing it should be concrete.

The water well,
    First reaction is that the roof is really blurry.

What an option was, was to cut the circle or stones in two, since i dont see the dirt coming back in the model, and hook those C shapes into eachother, giving you some more space to work with.

Then id probably folded the UV of the roof, once again you would have a bit more space to work with.

Also you have two stone walls in the texture, the upper one is probably the inside, wich you could have used the 1st wall for, ... giving you again a bit more space.

Set priorities, what needs the most space? what next?

Also the wooden beams looks really clean, give the ends and contact places more contrast.
    Overall the texture could use more contrast and color, its all looking really grey.

The wheel, the inner circle, the wires run all towards 1 point, its cleaner to let them go across.

- keep in mind what needs the most space on the texture
    - watch out that the texture is not getting too grey, and that it has enough contrast
    - mind the inside edges of things, they mostly contain more dirt then other spots ( study the material)

Overal its looking good man, keep going
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Little something i began working on.

I'm still very very noobish in hard-surface high polys, so, I need to practice!:)

Here's the first try, decided to make the pulse rife from aliens. HighP still not finished, but I'm posting the WIP here anyways.

mip6vb.jpg
  • Rated Rrr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rated Rrr polycounter lvl 17
    Digging the rifle HP, seems spot on so far.
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Little something I decided to do today, a doom3 style prop...
    I'll see if I can find the time to texture it next week.

155s87b.jpg
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    I guess I'm done with the difuse, I don't want to over scratch it, as most of the stuff was pretty much clean in doom3, and the texture already has more 'information' and grundge than I had in mind when I started this.
    2zjjpck.jpg

Now onto the specular, and It's done! :)
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    crate_render.jpg

texture_sheets.jpg

I'm always looking to improve and evolve, so please drop me some feedback and crits, don't hold back! ;)

Once again, inspired by d3, here's a wall texture I decided to make, I finished the high poly, and tested into into a single polygon, see how the normals behaved:
    10idtnp.jpg
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
  • rasmus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey HP, I think this all looks pretty good, but I can't help noticing a lot of your shapes on the hipolys have that typical sub-d:ed look; especially for hard-surface stuff it comes of looking a bit round and soft in places. You might wanna add more edgeloops here and there, and don't be afraid to bevel/chamfer for nice chunky edges on these things - imo that can suit the subject matter better than the rounded shapes of just subdividing a 90-degree angle with some support edges.
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Thanks for your feedback rasmus, I'll definitely keep that in mind in my future stuff.

Here's more.

render_sci_fi_Texture.jpg

sci_fi_textures.jpg

Normal map, applied to 2 tris faces:
    2mocqwi.jpg
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    here's something I did for a speed texturing compo over at game-artist.net

Render:
    STC41render.jpg

STC41textures.jpg
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Some people asked me for the high polys, so here it is, the full thing!
    This is the source files for my entry on speed texturing competition at game-artist.net
    http://www.game-artist.net/forums/speed-texturing/10170-stc-43-june-14-june-21-exterior-wall-9.html#post95965

there's everything in there, .MAX with the original high poly, the low poly (just a plane :P)
    and I've also included the original PSD files for all the maps. I've resized them to 1024*1024 tho,
    as the originals were 2048*2048, they got to big to pack it into a RAR file.

I used xnormal to bake my original piece, but if you select the plane on the .MAX file It's already set up
    to render using Max's baker.

You'll need XOLIUL viewport shader to properly view this in Max's viewport, I've placed it on the RAR as well,
    just in case. (Although, you wont have parallax mapping on it, that's why I used marmoset to submit my final pic)

This is it, keep in mind of course, that I'm sharing this solo for your learning!
    I'm all for freedom of information and transparency, so I hope I encourage others to do the same
    and share their workflows!

Be nice! ;)

Download: http://rapidshare.com/files/249054816/HP_STC_wall.rar

160e6fd.jpg

PS. .MAX will only work in 3DsMax2010.
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nizza_waaarg polycounter lvl 15
    man i really like how the metal looks on teh last two peices, turned out really well.

dunno if you did or not on the final, but you could add a slight bump in the normal map around where the paint has come off and the metal is exposed, seems like it might be thick enough to cause a little bit of displacment.

Anyways, cool stuff :)
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Thanks for the comment Nizza_waaarg :)

this is just something I did at home in a couple of days. the coder I'm living with needs a few sci-fi textures so I'm helping him out.

This one in particular It's nothing I'm extremely proud of, still here it is.

snpgxw.jpg

qsuqfd.jpg
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Just a suggestion, don't just use a plane for the geometry, its really easy to add just a little bit of geometry to go with the texture to make it pop even more. Like the last piece, if you would make the side pieces arc a little bit in the middle it'd look really cool.
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Thanks Zac, I'm working on another piece atm with a more or less complex LP, let's see how it comes out.