Home General Discussion

New POP Trailer

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
sonic polycounter lvl 18
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/38687.html

Looks awesome. The acrobatics remind me of the original and although they obviously didn't focus on the combat, it looks very dramatic.

Replies

• 3devo
    Offline / Send Message
    3devo polycounter lvl 12
    Sounds kinda american for a persian prince though.
    Lookin Sweet.
  • TWilson
    Offline / Send Message
    TWilson polycounter lvl 18
    I love art style. I'm so pleased they moved away from the last games art direction.

I might need to pick this one up.
  • rooster
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    yeah im not too keen on the accent or actually the magic shit. i dont really want to feel like I'm relying on some cheaty flying magic stunts to get about, I want to be doing the cool stuff myself
  • RazorBladder
    Offline / Send Message
    RazorBladder polycounter lvl 18
    I'm super eager for this game, I didn't even play the last couple of PoP games. Really fresh artistic style, looks stunning.
  • acc
    Offline / Send Message
    acc polycounter lvl 18
    Looks really good, but I'll agree that the accent is really off-putting. Meet the Prince of America!

The magic is hit or miss. Using it for a double-jump is a cool effect and a natural evolution of the old platforming, but randomly bounding all the way across the map? Why are there glowing circles on random cliff walls? Why do they shoot you to completely randomly placed locations? Why don't we just use them to shoot to the end of the level like a sane person would?

Overall though it looks fun. I really like that they pushed the monster of the ledge even though it had a health bar that wasn't done yet.
  • Jonathan
    The accent is fine. I don't really want to have to "interpret" an overly accented game voice, it would just be distracting.
  • flaagan
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    Jonathan wrote: »
    The accent is fine. I don't really want to have to "interpret" an overly accented game voice, it would just be distracting.

Agreed.

It's like going to a film and having half the cast speaking in their character's native tongue.

I mean, I can appreciate the 'authenticity', but then I have to spent time not watching the actual film and just reading text.

As for the magical stuff, I kind of dig the idea. If nothing else, it'll add that much more to the whole 'leap of faith' approach a lot of the puzzles have.
  • monkeyboy_garth
    Offline / Send Message
    monkeyboy_garth polycounter lvl 9
    Meh. The first thing that put me off was the accent. And the Devil May Cry transporting glowy markers are totally weird. I've never played a Prince of Persia game and this trailer isn't really doing anything for me. I appreciate that there are people that like it though.

On a side note, the girl's top looks totally painted on - is that just the cell shading?
  • hobodactyl
    Offline / Send Message
    hobodactyl polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, the top looks really odd. I like most of the artistic stuff, but I agree, all the magic stuff feels like it's taking away from what makes him cool, which are the acrobatics. acc had it right on the money; the magic circles are just so obviously like "look, this is where to go next!" even though the world is supposed to be open to how you want to go.

I also don't like the voice. It's not just like "oh that's not a Persian accent, I want it real!" He just sounds like a Disney lead character :/
  • _Shimmer
    Offline / Send Message
    _Shimmer polycounter lvl 18
    really loved it in a way. mostly because it reminds me of those cinema animated movies like titan a.e. hope they make something nice with it.
    art style looks cool, wish they would do more though. doesn't look so next gen in a way..
  • Snowfly
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    Nah, it's definitely part of her sexytime. Skin tight white shirt that never stops fluttering all over the place .. I'd say it's ready to rip.

Cool style. The character texturing is a lot less noisy in motion than the stills seemed to let off. I love how a lot of the FX have a spidery look to it like the font they used in the captions.
  • LoTekK
    Offline / Send Message
    LoTekK polycounter lvl 17
    Visually looks amazing, especially now that it's in motion. The acrobatics look fun (no idea how the combat will actually play out, though), but I agree that the magical stuff seems kinda meh. The double jump looks kinda cool, but I can't imagine a conceit that would have it make sense (she can bamf to throw the prince, but needs to climb and jump like the prince in order to get around?).

But man, the dialogue and voiceovers. I can live with the American accent (though I'd probably prefer British or something), but the dialogue sounds like the kind of shit I remember from 90s saturday morning cartoons, where the character is just overly
    "cool" and lots of self-referential bullshit (aww, man, why do we always have to go towards the bad guys?).

Looks fun, though.
  • ebagg
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    The acrobatics really look like the first sands of time game, except that you can now double jump and they have some shiney spots that bounce you around, but really very linear platforming. The combat doesn't look like a huge leap either, couldn't they take a page from DMC or Ninja Gaiden? The occasional tag team combo looks good but otherwise he was just blocking and timing his simple combo. And yea, the accents are just plain bullshit, did they get the whitest whitey in mchonkey town to do the voice? It's Prince of goddamn Persia, give him an accent other than west coast American, seriously.

I really like the art style, and I like the direction the series has taken, I hear there are open world elements, but how much of it is just "pick a level, then do some linear platforming again?" With parkour becoming such a big feature in games these days, you'd thing they'd throw in the old "emergent gameplay" into their very average linear platforming.

I'll wait for reviews, but unless it gets insane scores I'll wait for it to hit the greatest hits status.
  • Kawe
    Offline / Send Message
    Kawe polycounter lvl 8
    Oh god.. need some better dialogues and voice actors.

And now I read what everyone else has written... and I feel superfluous
  • Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    beautiful visual style, love it, but I dont like the girl, she gets in the way of me seeing what the prince is doing and the stuff she does looks liked tacked on special moves and isnt what I would like to do. I really prefer this being a 1 man game, making it 2 people you control is just making things complicated and gimmicky in my opinion. I wouldnt mind if the girl was always with you but hidden, I dont want to have to control her or see her on the screen all the time. just my first impressions.
  • The Mad Artist
    Offline / Send Message
    The Mad Artist polycounter lvl 13
    Love it. Been a huge fan of the last 3 POP games, and this looks like it has enough new elements to feel fresh without losing what makes the Prince games so much fun.
  • arshlevon
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    still cant get over those shitty black outlines. looks like a ps2 game.

the gameplay however looks interesting, prince of ico.
  • RazorBladder
    Offline / Send Message
    RazorBladder polycounter lvl 18
    Ged wrote: »
    beautiful visual style, love it, but I dont like the girl, she gets in the way of me seeing what the prince is doing and the stuff she does looks liked tacked on special moves and isnt what I would like to do. I really prefer this being a 1 man game, making it 2 people you control is just making things complicated and gimmicky in my opinion. I wouldnt mind if the girl was always with you but hidden, I dont want to have to control her or see her on the screen all the time. just my first impressions.

C'mon, it's next-gen Sonic & Tales!
  • hawken
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    looks good and tough!