Home Technical Talk

best method to unwrap the sink?

idaho
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
idaho polycounter lvl 9
I have a little problem on how to unwrap the sink.
Please see included picture and if you like an .obj file.
The problem is that I don't know how to approach the unwrapping for this sink - I started with planar mapping for top and bottom part when separating the front part. I don't know if that is correct approach or maybe I should mark some seams and use lscm flattening?
I would appreciate any help or suggestions on how to do it in best possible way.

Picture:
sinkiz7.jpg
sinkiz7.a8c26d64f5.jpg

Model:
http://rapidshare.com/files/138957009/sink.obj.html

Replies

• Kawe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kawe polycounter lvl 8
    how do you unwrap a cube? this is essentially a cube. start from there I'd say.

well actually I'd say it is essentially two cubes.. one main cube and one "inset" cube.
  • idaho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    idaho polycounter lvl 9
    @Kawe: well, cubic mapping is simple but unfortunatelly it will outcome with unwanted visible seams i suppose...

@perna: I am afraid I don't get your point. Could you draw what are you talking about on top of my screenshot and attach such mockup? because i don't get it actually what you are suggesting to connect.
  • Kawe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kawe polycounter lvl 8
    idaho wrote: »
    @Kawe: well, cubic mapping is simple but unfortunatelly it will outcome with unwanted visible seams i suppose...

ooh.. I didn't say use cubic mapping. this is where most people are mistaken. if you can unwrap all basic primitives with tools OTHER than those cubic/spherical/cylindrical mappings.. you can unwrap anything. not sure what the tool is called in your package but in Modo it is just called the unwrap tool that just asks you to define the seam and it'll do it's best to unwrap it.

and you probably want your biggest seam to go UNDER the sink since no one is gonna see under it (I assume you don't have flying sinks invading earth). Right now it looks like you got seams going around the top and bottom....
  • idaho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    idaho polycounter lvl 9
    Guys, thank you for the support. I have managed to do it, actually I marked the seam on the bottom part of the sink to hide it and flattened two parts using roadkill's power :)
    Here is the result:

suhm8.png
    suhm8.96d151c10c.jpg