Home General Discussion

Rent an artist?

Kawe
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Kawe polycounter lvl 8
So.. there's this site called "rent a coder" that well.. you can figure out what it does. Does anyone know of any equivalent (or better) for graphics jerks/jerkettes?

For those who don't know what it is..
http://www.rentacoder.com

Replies

• Ott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ott polycounter lvl 13
    That's an interesting idea and website. I think part of what separates actual coding vs. art is the final deliverable product. Anyone who has done outsourcing or freelancing knows that the client will always want iterations on the work. Code is code - does it work as it is supposed to?

Not to say there aren't a lot of iterations on code, but if someone asks for a function in Windows for example, it either works as intended or it doesn't. You give someone a character and say "Model this", even the most badass among us will have to make iterations and change. Sometimes ridiculously so.

I think why places like Turbosquid stay in business is because it's a giant mash of pieces that if someone is looking for simple and (usually) inexpensive 3d, they can buy the object and hope it works for whatever project they are doing without having to hire or contract out a 3rd party artist. (Even though the actual quality of most of it is....lacking....)

There is a sub form on Turbosquid for people who are looking for 3d artists can post up projects, sorta like what we do here for the job postings. But how many companies out there are constantly looking for 3d artists that don't already know where to get em?
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    It sounds as useful as the concept of "Rent-a-cop"...
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    pliang wrote: »
    It sounds as useful as the concept of "Rent-a-cop"...

Do you actively try to make everyone on polycount hate you? Are you attacking the entire concept of remote or freelance work, or just the name kawe asked about?

Or rent a coder, which he linked, which has already proven itself fairly successful?

Your post was pretty ambiguous, and yet even so pretty much every thing you could possibly mean would be annoying, trollish, and wrong.
  • Kovac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kovac polycounter lvl 18
    http://www.getafreelancer.com/ is a pretty big one that, while extremely general, I've used and had some success on back when I freelanced. It's a similar concept of you bid for a job, job poster looks at your portfolio and picks you if you if they feel you're the right candidate.

Just use the search features to narrow down 3D/2D/graphic design related tasks and you'll see plenty in a nice variety. It's not very game centric of course, but there's also Garage Games' site that sometimes has postings for work with actual compensations as well.

http://garagegames.com/index.php?sec=mg&mod=marketplace&page=jobs
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    SupRore: I love you! Gimme hug. ^_^
  • Murdoc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Murdoc polycounter lvl 11
    I really could outsource someone for my portfolio, let them do the grunt work then finish it off when I get time... hehehe.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    I used to enjoy 'rent- a-ghost' with timothy claypole.

Actually in the original series the geezer had died and he had to stop his mum finding out.

She wondered why he never ate food and stuff.

Everytime he sneezed he disappeared:)
  • Kawe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kawe polycounter lvl 8
    I'm not sure I totally agree with everything said here, especially not about renting cops cause that sounds outrageous. Haha.

The difference between code and graphics is that even if you have to change code you can usually keep a lot of the code you did and just change the parts that are wrong. For graphics it may be easier or most likely a lot harder to change something without having it affect everything else. Modularity ftw.

Personally I don't think the website is such a bad idea. I had my doubts on Rent a coder too.. how it works. But apparently it does work so... there are plenty of ways of getting it to work. Like paying half of it up front and the rest when the art is finished.

Also I wasn't thinking strictly 3d art... any graphics goes really. I mean I bet there's a lot of poor guys out there that need some neat graphics for their websites that could pay you enough to put a day or two into it. I mean I bet whatever you guys make will be better than what that poor person can cook up in a few days. Not really glorious work... but work is work :)

Erh.. well.. tbh I was mostly asking if such a site existed and apparently there isn't one so ya...
  • Kovac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kovac polycounter lvl 18
    Kawe how do those links I gave not relate towards what you said above?
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    elance.com seems close. Freelancers bid on proposals. I really want to like the site, but sadly, while there are a solid amount of requests for 3d work, the price scale is never close to good, or they expect the abilities of a whole studio....
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    also don't you have to pay a monthly fee to use elance?
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    yea, there's that too, although thats almost nice as it kinda makes it a bit more exclusive... The real problem with it is that they take a cut of your payout.
  • Kawe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kawe polycounter lvl 8
    Kovac wrote: »
    Kawe how do those links I gave not relate towards what you said above?

Oh, I'm sorry. It does relate :) I was just hoping for something more specific.
  • Kovac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kovac polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah Kawe it certainly is more generalized. I definitely agree it'd be fantastic to see something dedicated towards those kind of smaller projects.