Home General Discussion

Digital Cameras

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
SideEffect polycounter lvl 19
Hey, was wondering if you guys could help me out picking a new digital camera.

I'm not looking to be a professional photographer or anything, my primary use would be to take photos for textures and reference pictures.

I took a look at the Sony cameras at the Circuit City here and I really hate the sliding parts and touchscreens, I'd like to stay away from anything that has that. I've already had a couple cameras break in the past with the stupid sliding crap.

The Canon's and Nikon's looked pretty good though.

I don't really care about how compact it is (although that is nice). I'm more concerned about image quality more than anything.

What would you guys recommend?

Also should I even consider a SLR for the kind of stuff I want to do? Is that overkill? Like I said I'm not looking to be a professional photographer or anything.

I'm gonna read some more reviews on the Canon's and Nikon's but I trust polycounter opinions a bit more :P.

Thanks!

Replies

• carlo_c
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't know a great deal about cameras and photography but if your going to be using it to take reference pictures don't go for something with a really wide angle as you'll end up with barrel distortion and have to correct the perspective in post.

Depending on your budget, it could be worthwhile to get an SLR for the larger image sensor as generally speaking SLR's pick up more detail than a compact due to the larger sensor size. The option to shoot in RAW might help with over or underexposed images too, but I guess its always something you can fix in post anyway. An SLR would also give you more options with the lens you want to use.

I can't really see much of a benefit getting a compact, apart from it's size and cheaper price I don't think it really fits your requirements.

Read reviews, and if you can get to any camera shops try a few out. Here's a couple of older threads on camera's:

http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?t=53388&highlight=camera

http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?t=54743&highlight=camera
  • SideEffect
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SideEffect polycounter lvl 19
    Thanks for the help Carlo

Is there anything wrong with this camera?
    Canon - EOS Digital Rebel XT
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7026069&st=canon+digital+rebel+xt&lp=1&type=product&cp=1&id=1099394810083#outletcentermessage

From everything I've read it seems to be a good one for a first SLR.
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    i've got one, it's fine, and it should have everything you need. For reference and textures, you'll be okay with the 18-55mm kit lens - just the right focal length to squeeze in everything you need without distorting to hell. The res should be more than enough too. Have a look to see how much the model that superseded it - the XTi - is going for though, you may prefer the bigger screen and a couple of extra features
  • hyrumark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hyrumark polycounter lvl 12
    Anything Canon is good. The Rebel XT is going to be overkill if your main goal is getting textures IMO. I think the main criteria for a good reference/texture camera is one that you will ALWAYS have with you. You will get better quality with an SLR, but you won't have a big camera like that with you at all times...

I have a Canon SD1000 Digial ELPH that is ALWAYS in my pocket, it takes very good pictures. If I'm going out to specifically take pictures, then I have a Canon 40D for that, and my wife has a Rebel XT. Canon makes good stuff.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've got a Sony Dsc-H9, which I've been pretty happy with. No touchscreen, and as far as sliding parts goes, there's only the screen that you can swivvle forward, which seems pretty sturdy, and comes in handy quite often.

I'm biased, since I got mine for free, but it's been just right for me so far. I've used it for a few textures as well, and the quality seems pretty good.
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    Iv got this one
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Sony/sony_dsct2.asp

and got nothing but good to say about it, its a tiny camera, and produces great image quality.

also, check the mother page of that link, www.dpreview.com lot of info on all the cams ud want to buy with user reviews to go along with it.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    I bought a Nikon D40 last year - couldn't be happier. I had a Sony DSCH-2 prior to that. The Nikon has amazing options and quality. The only downside to the D40 is that it doesn't have a built-in autofocus motor, so you need to buy lenses that have their own built-in motors. The lens that comes with it has a motor, so that will likely be all you need if you're just shooting texture ref :)