Home General Discussion

ACER lcds?

Can someone tell me if they've used an acer lcd before? I always used to associate acer with utter shit. But i cant help but notice that they are the best reviewed monitors on newegg, but a pretty good margain, and also some of the cheapest.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2100190020%201309822582%201301919996&bop=And&Order=RATING

I'm really looking for something in the 20" or 22" range that has a good viewangle, i've got some dell screens here at work that are utter shit, and a samsung at home that is shit as well, if i move around in my chair a lot the brightness chances pretty drastically.

Replies

• rebel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We have a pretty new Acer 24" in our office..
    The viewangle is really bad.. I've had to design some websites on it, and when you move your chair back and forth the brightness changes drastically.. It could just be the model we have though.
  • Kovac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kovac polycounter lvl 18
    One of the QA here has the 22'' one that one the 5 customer choice awards and said he loves it... no first hand experiences though.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    That's strange to hear about your Dell, EQ. I have two 24" monitors and the viewing angle on both are ace. I could be standing across the room and on an angle to both and they display just as well (maybe some minor loss with extreme angles). My second Dell is a little dodgey, its actually brighter and more saturated than my first, but even then I don't get noticeable colour or brightness discrepancies, only on extreme angles.

I've never used an Acer before and haven't met anyone with one yet, so I can't be much help regarding that.

Oh and my Dells are the UltraSharp series.

-caseyjones
  • funshark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    funshark polycounter lvl 16
    I have the Acer AL2023 one. ( maybe an old model today? )
    Not the best colors but overall, it does a good job.
  • ThatDon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ThatDon polycounter lvl 11
    I picked up that 5 Star one from newegg for my lady, mainly because it was cheap and supposedly awesome, well guess what it is awesome and great for the money! Don't be afraid of the none namebrand, it's a great little monitor!
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    I have the AL1916W and would give it a 5 out of 5. It is VERY bright and clear. It had one dead pixel, though (no biggie). I paid $170 US for it 2 years ago. I would recommend ACER monitors, don't know about whatever other products they have.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    I've got an Acer 19in lcd. Couple years old. Burns images left up on it for too long into the screen. There's an almost permanent Firefox ghosting on the screen. Been like that since day one.
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    I have a pair of 19inch widescreen acers. Its like a pair of suns. zero percent brightness still lights up the room at night. Great color contrast and options. These boards look awesome on them, much better than my laptop lcd.
  • katzeimsack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katzeimsack polycounter lvl 18
    get a tn panel if you want to play
    get a va panel if you want to use it for art (and a huge viewing angle)

my dell at work sucks too :)
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Dells UltraBright series are pretty good.. I've never used an acer LCD aside from whats on their laptops, which are total shit.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ThatDon: And the viewing angles are good with it? No wierdness when shifting position in your chair? The problem i have with my samsung at home(SyncMaster 203b) and the dells at work is that you get a bit of a darker gradient up at the top of the screen depending on how i look at it. Which is HELL for texturing.

Katze: VA panel? Do you know any good site to look for specificly which panel a monitor has? All i can tell from newegg is that the panel is a Active Matrix, TFT LCD.
  • ironbearxl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ironbearxl polycounter lvl 18
    I got the acer 20 inch X203w for $169 2 weeks ago from NewEgg. The viewing angle and brightness are excellent, the only bad thing is it's not height adjustable, so I put a phonebook under it.
  • katzeimsack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    ThatDon: And the viewing angles are good with it? No wierdness when shifting position in your chair? The problem i have with my samsung at home(SyncMaster 203b) and the dells at work is that you get a bit of a darker gradient up at the top of the screen depending on how i look at it. Which is HELL for texturing.

Katze: VA panel? Do you know any good site to look for specificly which panel a monitor has? All i can tell from newegg is that the panel is a Active Matrix, TFT LCD.

http://www.prad.de/en/news/shownews_faq26.html

it's a german page, but it seems to have a english traslation :D

good monitors for graphics .. http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/buyers-guide/graphic24.html
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    ironbearxl wrote: »
    I got the acer 20 inch X203w for $169 2 weeks ago from NewEgg. The viewing angle and brightness are excellent, the only bad thing is it's not height adjustable, so I put a phonebook under it.

Yeah I have the widescreen 20 incher, it's a nice monitor for the price but seconding the height adjustment, it's just lame without it. :shifty: you can tilt it but that's about it. No problems with view angle here.
  • solar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    solar polycounter lvl 18
    EarthQuake wrote: »

TFT central has some pretty good indepth reviews on monitors. S-PVA is the kind of panel you should probably be looking at if your viewing angels are important. I think 24in gives you the best pixel per inch ratio at the moment (for the price) If money isn't an issue then NEC make reference monitors. Review here comparing a dell with an NEC
  • StJoris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My laptop screen has TN panel, which is pretty sucky, brightness change and all.
    Have two dell 20" ultrasharps in here with IPS panels, I can look glancing angle and it won't change a percent brightness.

TN - mediocre
    S-PVA /MVA - decent
    IPS - god

In general you want to stay away from 22" models as they are all TN afaik

Look here for more info, reviews with actual photos from angles to show how it is.
    http://www.behardware.com/html/cat/22/
  • katzeimsack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://www.pchardwarehelp.com/guides/lcd-panel-types.php

this seems to explain the panel types pretty good..
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    I bought the first one on that list. actually, bought two of them. no complaints yet, awesome looking screens.
  • Jonathan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just got mine from UPS and have it hooked up to my work desk.

The colors are rather lacking, and compared to my Scepte 20.1" LCD, it's a noticeable bit worse. I have tweaked with the settings and the colors in the Nvidia control panel, but it still is quite lacking. If I don't return it, I'll probably just use it as my secondary monitor at home.

I'll probably break down and order a nice Dell LCD (19200x1200), or maybe order a larger Sceptre LCD if it's as nice as my other one.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, after taking a look at bestbuy and staples i've come to the conclusion that all their monitors are shitty tn panels and totally suck, regardless of brand, the vertical viewing angle on TN's are just terrible. If i'm going to be spend atleast $200 for each of two monitors i might as well spend a little more and get some decent with good viewing angles.

Looks like my choices come down to dell 2007fpw or 2007fp, both are a bit too pricey, and this guy that i found on newegg, price seems good only big problem for me is that it comes with speakers on the side(will be annoying with dual screen setup) and a stupid webcam, gahhhhhh.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236007

I would still like to try and find a decent setup for ~ $500 but its looking more and more impossible =(
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    The newer dell 27" widescreens are MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH better on viewing angle and colors, i think i know what monitor you are talking about. I had 2 for a while, and they just fucking blew.

The 2 new ones i've got now are so much better, are clear at 179.999999 degrees.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/Monitors/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&cs=19&sku=223-9379

edit: lol not cheap though :)
  • East
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    caseyjones wrote: »
    That's strange to hear about your Dell, EQ. I have two 24" monitors and the viewing angle on both are ace. I could be standing across the room and on an angle to both and they display just as well (maybe some minor loss with extreme angles).
    I'm not finding it the least surprising. We run a dual 22" Dell setup at work, and these are horrible, horrible, horrible. Put up a one-coloured solid image on the screen and you get a nice vertical gradient effect by courtesy of Dell. For free. Shift your head slightly and the colours change to either a blue shade, or a yellow one.

At home I have a 24" Dell monitor (a few have those at work, too) which is amazing. No colour changes as you move your head a couple of inches to the sides.
  • MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    lets put it this way. So far this week at work i've shipped 6 broken acer LCD's back to the supplier for repairs. and its only thursday.

and i can defenintely agree about the viewing angle, at the moment i'm working with an acer AL1916W widescreen and i've had to print and reprint proofs of my current project because the colors change so much from every angle.