Home General Discussion

Are you attending any animation school or self learn?

Hello Ladies & Gent

Is there any one here currently attending one off those Animation school that teach everything from modeling through animation or are you a self learn? If your in a school which one and what do you think of it? Also if you learning from an animation school online tell me what does it like to learn online?

Replies

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    From what i've read over the years, most "Game Specific" schools and programs tend to be rather lacking, and outdated. The best advice i can give you is that if you're looking into going to school, you should go from some sort of traditional art course, learn painting, sculpting, etc all of these things will help you a lot more in the long term. The course you'de take in a game-related program generally will simply teach you how to use applications like 3dsmax, or maya but not really teach you how to be good at them or many fundamental art skills.

You can learn 3d applications in your spare time, theres plenty of resources and you're likely better off just doing tutorials on the internet than you would be in a class. Now of course this isnt the right way for everyone, some people really need that class environment and really thrive in it. At the end of the day its what you put into it, if you sign up for a game course and only put in the bare min to get your degree you'll be spending a couple years afterwards continuing your art on your own before you'll be good enough to actually get a job. Now if you really push yourself to the limit, spend all the time you possibly can working on your art in and outside of class you'll do much better. Like most things in life it comes down to what you put into it.

Now, as far degrees making it more likely to get you a job and things of that nature. Generally the most important thing is going to be your portfolio, if you've got a great portfolio and no degree you can still get a job pretty easily, and after that would be experience, even stuff like mod experience(if you have some decent work to show from it) is better than simply having a degree in my book. Because it shows you're a motivated person that can get things done on their own time, not just when they are paying to take classes. And then finally the degree comes into play, if you were up for a job with someone and had roughly the same talent, and same amount of experience, and neither of you were retards and had strange personality problems, the one with the better degree would likely be the one to get hired(or the one who will work for less! =P). Degrees can be very useful if you plan on trying to get work outside of your country, because with out a degree that is virtually impossible. So thats one last thing to keep in mind.
  • Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    Went to Vancouver Film School. Attended their 3d animation vfx program, and it was a great experience for modelling. Animation dept is alright, but seem like places like animation mentor could be better for that price.

It was a great environment, even better when you make friends with classmate who are even more motivated by you. First real time I worked all day and enjoyed doing it most of the time.

It sure launched me forward from the 7 years of hobbyist modeling prior, learning by myself when I needed too.
  • J Randall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    J Randall polycounter lvl 15
    Yeah I went to a computer animation school, still paying the bill 5 years later. Follow earthquakes advice. Join a mod and or get a mentor check out video tutorials, just sit down and make stuff and work with the crits you get.
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    http://www.animationmentor.com

Best Animation School for your buck. Certainly not a place that's just cashing in on game development schooling. Highly skilled, very well done. Check it out, if you're looking to go down the schooling path.

My girl is an Animation Mentor graduate. She found out about it halfway through her other college and ended up doing both at the same time. I was able to sit in on her classes, since our PCs were in the same room, and I have to say it's amazing. The things she learned, the resources she had available, and the credentials of every instructor blew my mind. I certainly recommend it, and I'm not even an animator! Good luck! :]
  • LilJD8.1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    so first off all I would need to start out with my art correct, and plus I want to take an art school just to learn how to draw I don't want to take those traditional school where you have to learn math, science, and so on where I don't think is need it in modeling and animation. Do you think Silo is a good software to start out with on modeling or is there any other application you would recommend. I could probably learn modeling on my own I'm pretty sure there are a lot off resource and material on the web. As for animation I'm going to give AnimationMentor a try. Also I'm sorry for my english.
  • LilJD8.1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus wrote: »
    http://www.animationmentor.com

Best Animation School for your buck. Certainly not a place that's just cashing in on game development schooling. Highly skilled, very well done. Check it out, if you're looking to go down the schooling path.

Yeah I have heard quite a lot off good thing about this I think I'm going to try it out too bad it only teach animation there are no modeling involve guess I can learn modeling by using app like Blender, Silo, 3D Max, Maya if I can afford it :) and with the resource that is out there on the web it will be no problem :)
  • J Randall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    J Randall polycounter lvl 15
    Gmax is still free LilJD8.1
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Silo is a great app if you're just starting out, it doesnt have the advanced features of the bigger apps(rendering, animation, etc) But it is a nice streamlined and focused modeling app, perfect for begginers i'de say.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    EQ's first reply is right on the money. I completed the first year of a game development course here in Melbourne, and it was a waste of money as far as I'm concerned, so I never went back to complete the second year. I just worked on my art in my own time and was lucky to land a job after a year and a half.
    I am disappointed that I never enrolled in a traditional art course (I still may take up a course part time in the near future), because I would have loved to have gotten a solid base which I could then work on on my own with time.

At the end of the day, any one can learn a 2D/3D package just from messing around in the menus and experimenting. There are tonnes of short courses out there that specialize in such things for a fraction of the cost, but you still need to know the art fundamentals otherwise you're left with a tool that's useless to you.

I've never really studied animation in particular because it was lightly covered in my games course (and by lightly, we were given a tute straight from the 3DSMAX pdf... I'm paying $9k a year for this?). So I wouldn't know what animation schools are out there, but I highly recommend a traditional animation course more than computer animation specific course. In the traditional course, you'll learn all the fundamentals for animation, and generally just the important things for animation which you can then port to any medium (be it digital or otherwise).

-caseyjones
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    Animal Collective - Sung Tongs - College.mp3
  • Flynny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flynny polycounter lvl 9
    My schooling sucked:- that was the technical term for it.

University was no better, Like so many others here I was let down alott.

But dont let that stop you as I totally consider myself self taught and I made my dream happen! Now for the next.. ;P

If theres any advice I can offer is go to university but do an art course instead, and look bloody hard for a good 1.
  • CheeseOnToast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    I've recently been asked if this course is any good : http://www.digitalartsandentertainment.com/#/en/News/ .

It looks like the same old thing, where students learn a bit of everything without any depth of focus on one thing. I've tried to dissuade him from it, but he's quite keen on learning a bit of coding and scripting as well as the arty stuff since he wants to start his own indie company eventually.

It's in Belgium, so any natives know if it's up to scratch?
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    Flynny the only reason you go to art school is to have a good time:)

The hard work should be done in your spare time and looking through polycount for tips and tricks.

I really can't see the point of doing a ridiculously expensive course to learn the same stuff you could learn by getting involved in a mod or small indie game.

I suppose if you need to learn game design or scripting type stuff is may be a good idea, but for arty stuff I reckon practice is the key.

Its sad though that uni courses don't really teach you the stuff you need to know to survive in the industry.
    I looked through a bunch of demo reels at the london game festival last year and there seems to be not much in the way of texturing or modelling skills on show.
  • sir-knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sir-knight polycounter lvl 10
    I'm a graduate of the traditional animation program at algonquin college in ottawa canada. For my limited 3d experience, I am completely self taught with the generous help of polycount and some paid tutorials and dvds (as well as free ones)

Learn the basics with pencil and paper or clay or whatever real mediums there are in fine or traditional arts, 3d software is just a layer of knowledge that sits on top of all of that, the better you know the basics, the better your 3d will look since you will understand the nuance better. It's all software after the basics anyways.

But then again the younger generations already have wicked perception of 3d space in their minds... I can't play 3d platformers at all and I'm not that old o_o
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    Ruz wrote: »
    Flynny the only reason you go to art school is to have a good time:)

The hard work should be done in your spare time and looking through polycount for tips and tricks.

I really can't see the point of doing a ridiculously expensive course to learn the same stuff you could learn by getting involved in a mod or small indie game.

I suppose if you need to learn game design or scripting type stuff is may be a good idea, but for arty stuff I reckon practice is the key.

Its sad though that uni courses don't really teach you the stuff you need to know to survive in the industry.
    I looked through a bunch of demo reels at the london game festival last year and there seems to be not much in the way of texturing or modelling skills on show.

Lol its what i did. I had lots of fun and barely graduated. 2 years of schooling to learn basic 3DS max GUI. The rest i did for myself.

But hey having an 18k edbt for school was good motivation for me not to give up in those tough years while i was struggling to break in. I figure if i owed that much mone i would be damned if i got nothing out of it.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    well i did a degree in scientific illustration near the end decided that cg would be fun and also traditional illustration was too painful.

my uni years were spent getting hammered in the student bar and in camden I am afraid to say.

I only got a 2:2 in the end , but from the start they hated my work anyway, so I figured just make the best of it.
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    I'm no animator, but I'm friends with plenty.

That being said, animation, for the most part, cannot be lumped into Polycount's normal "go to a traditional art school and learn the technical stuff on the side" take on schooling. I've known big name animators who still say they suck, simply because they haven't been doing for 40+ years yet. It's definitely in a different ballpark, when it comes to needing training.

I would say you would have a very hard time landing any kind of work as an animator, without some sort of proper training in it. It really isn't something you can pickup from some tutorials here and there...like some may lead you to believe. Then again....I'm no animator.
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    While I taught myself how to do computer art (with the help of just playing with software, polycount and a couple other sources) I still went to a school offering computer animation, and dropped out after the first term when I realized that I had been using some of the software longer than some of my teachers, but that's AI for you.

I then switched to an art university and I am currently majoring in sculpture. I will say my figure sculpting classes have bettered my sense of anatomy as well as design. Yeah, a good deal of my classes deal with conceptual design, which I won't get into because that's totally irrelevant, but I also take a good deal of classes that are just interesting. Yeah, a big reason going to school is for the experience, but I also think the opportunity to learn in a very creative environment really helps. Also there is nothing better than getting piss drunk with your classmates after a big critique.

I think one can teach themselves animation, just like one can teach themselves how to do character art. As long as you can familiarize yourself with the technology and have a good sense of how things move it should be no problem. Just like with character and environment art is all about having a good eye for design. Yeah, people can learn this sort of stuff, but I think it really takes more than just knowledge of a subject when it comes to art.

Interestingly enough, the animation majors at my school are recommended to take fine art classes like figure drawing, figure sculpting and anatomy, just so they can get a better understanding how the body moves.
  • Mezz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    I have to say that I think that for learning the fundamentals of animation, it IS a good idea to go to a good school. I agree with others, too, that you should go into an animation program that teaches it from the basics with pencil and paper. That's what I did; I took a 3 year animation course where the first two years were basically entirely 2-D and we had no more than one class where we used a computer. I really enjoyed it and got a lot out of it, and feel like when our 3rd year of 3-D came up I was much better prepared for creating things using the programs. I wasn't trying to learn new, totally different programs AND learn how to create good art: I had already learned to do the latter.

I think it's possible to be a really good animator and not be able to draw very well, but learning the basics from experienced instructors I'd argue is crucial to becoming really good at it. You can read about some of the basics on your own, but having an instructor explain and show you what is really important to portray movement I think is the best way to learn animation.

--Just my thoughts. :P At the end of the day, it's all still up to you.
  • Flynny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flynny polycounter lvl 9
    In the UK theres perhaps 3 Universities that'l get you into an animation job.
    And I use the term "get you in" very lightly.

In no order of any kind:-

Bourmeworth (england)
    Teeside (scotland)
    GlenMoran (wales)

God my spelling sucks. Those seem to be the only unversities that arent out particurly too raise funds.
    And to answer another question there are quite a few brilliant animators out there who cant draw for shi..
  • LilJD8.1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I could just take an art course from a traditional college and I don't have to take any other course like math, science, history all those crap. I could just take one course right the reason that I didn't continue my schooling after high school is I don't want to take all those requirement class like math, history, science ect... ect... I didn't know if I could just take one course or not. But mainly what you guys are saying is that it will further my knowledge if I went and take an art course learn the fundamental of drawing and so on. While I could learn how to do modeling, texture, rigging from gathering resources/material/tutorial and such from the net right. Well thank for all your help guys much appreciated.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Just because you can take traditional art courses doesn't mean that you'll learn anything, so be careful. The worst thing that can happen is that you shell out 800 (on the less expensive side) bucks to listen to some ahole that draws worst than you, same goes with computer art classes. Take the time to do the research before going. It's worth going to school, but only to
    a good one. :D Find out important things about the art program, do the professors think commercial art sucks, is game art a joke to them. If that is their outlook then you are better off not going to the school. The reason I mention it is because some professors might give you hell, and screw with your grades as well, if they know you like any type of commercial art. I can save you a lot of time if you want to learn to draw. Draw what you see, draw from reality and not from pictures. Drawing 101 as given to me from my professors, I'll save you the headache and the bills. The cool thing about going to school is meeting the other students and the good professors. That's something no ahole professor can take away from you, but it doesn't pay the bills. LOL

Cheers. Look into the drawing dvds of Scott Robertson

here is the link...

http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/dvds/groups/instructors/2d/robertson_g.html

If you like doing that then art school might be for you.

Look into this as well

http://www.poopinmymouth.com/tutorial/formal_art_training.html

http://www.artrenewal.org

The basic problem with most art school is that they just approach teaching fine arts as a form of self expression and not a trade. You know how to express yourself, you just did, didn't you. You don't need to spend 4 years learning to do something you already know how to do, what you need is to learn how to do what you do better. So you need to learn technique, and there is proper techniques that have been past down for hundreds of years that go far beyond draw what you see and draw from reality and then there are things you develop which can help or hurt you on your own. So find a school that will grill you until you learn or fail you because you can't do it.

Alex
  • man_o_mule
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    man_o_mule polycounter lvl 18
    that animation mentor school looks pretty slick. really great animations in thier student showcase vid. pretty expensive for a year and a half program though. Think i might look into this. Take some life drawing and basic art classes locally and take this corse on the side.