Home General Discussion

Vista and open source questions

Vista:

I wish to bring up two topics and see what you all have to say about it. Though first is more of a question really.

I am currently an XP user. It's what I'm comfortable with. It's what is easy for me. I have been using Windows since I was in grade school (I'm almost 22) and the whole start menu thing and the like is tangible to me to the point I feel that we should all have one in our peripheral to give is options to access parts of our body. In return, XP has been good to me. It doesn't crash unless I do something stupid. It runs my programs without complaint.

But I am curious about this creature we call 64-bit. I am currently upgrading my work station. My dual core computer I purchased two years ago is comfortable enough at running my programs. Yet, I am admittedly a techno-slut. I love trying out new gadgets and OS's. I have tried Vista on a friends computer, albeit vastly underpowered compared to mine and didn't take much issue with it. Graphics actually seem to be a bit more crisp somehow.

So seeing as many of you have probably tried it, I come to you seeking advice on the matter. I am not dead set on switching, just that more and more programs seem to lean more towards optimization for Vista somehow. Baffling to me as reports say it's a pain to program for, so I think perhaps I have been given some false info on one area or the other.

Linux:

This is more of an open source question I suppose. I have a fairly decent powered laptop that I don't use very often anymore since I always have access to my more powerful PC. I was considering maybe wiping Windows XP and all my other programs and instead attempt an all Linux/Open source program workpad. I have licensed versions of Photoshop, 3DsMax, and even After Effects on my PC so this would be more of an experiment.

Have any of you done this? How has it worked out? I was thinking using Blender for 3D work, and one of the open source painting programs that claim to contend with Photoshop. I'd also like to see how it effects my battery life.

So if any of you have any input on either curiosity, please share it. It's something I've been considering off and on for a while.

Replies

• Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I tried like hell getting Linux to work on an old laptop, every distro I tried had issues reading the battery life so once I unplugged from the wall the battery meter would go from 100 to 0 in 5 minutes and shut the computer down
  • jrs100000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jrs100000 polycounter lvl 8
    Your so unsure of your GUI'fu that upgrading to Vista is a serious concern, but you want to switch over to Linux/Blender/Gimp?

Vista is fine. Its pretty stable and runs the programs you need.

Linux is fine also. When I installed it on an old desktop of mine I noticed considerable performance improvements over XP and had no problems operating the machine, even as a longtime Windows user. If you have any problems or questions, just ask Google and youll almost always get the answer you need.

Gimp is also fine. It doesnt have all of Photoshops features, but it does the basics just like you would expect.

Blender, to, is fine. Just dont expect it to work like Max or that you can figure it out on your own without reading the manual.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    It sounds to me like you're trying to find an excuse to switch to Linux. There is a program called wubi that allows you to install Ubuntu without reformating. It just installs into a directory like anything else, but it boots into it if you want.
    Also, you can use an Ubuntu CD as a LiveCD and try it out. See if you like it and what you can get to work with it.
  • Valkier
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not looking to "switch" to Linux. More or less just feel like playing around with it since I don't use my laptop for much.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ubuntu is pretty undaunting, really. I had some problems, but most of those were because the repositories (in linux you don't download installers, you install stuff from servers, basically) linked to the wrong place, and I couldn't install anything. I also had some issues with media-codecs and the like, but on the whole it was a pretty smooth experience. The only downside being, if something goes really wrong, you're going to be mucking about with console-commands a whole lot.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Well again, try Wubi http://wubi-installer.org
    It's the best option I've found for trying Linux, since the Live CD's aren't good for installing apps and really getting a feel for things.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wubi isn't currently the best option, since it suffers from a reasonably common bug to do with upgrading. Everything works fine, untill a kernel-update gets pushed through, at which point you find yourself starting at busybox after only a split second of the boot-screen. Busybox is what you get when booting fails, which could be because of many different reasons, but wubi seems to have a specific bug: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/236307
    It's a real drag, especially since Wubi is a great way to try Ubuntu full-powered, whereas a live-cd gives you a nice taste of the software but it will always leave you wondering what Ubuntu really runs like.

edit: anyone given LinuxMint a go? it's a derivative of Ubuntu, and seems pretty cool.