Home General Discussion

Tropic Thunder Boycott: It's no longer PC to make fun of stupid people...

Replies

• Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    arg. have to sign up to the Times to follow the link
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Retarded NYTimes, try the new link.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    Wow Vig, your impressive use of the word Retard offends me and my retarded kind. I hereby boycott this thread.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    what's odd is retard was the medical condition they used to call it was mental retardation. :/ duhrrrr Politically correct is shit. It's not like they have a guy with down syndrome strapped to a chair and calling him retard, retard, retard and then watching him get all retard strong and beat em all up.
  • Lord McMutton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lord McMutton polycounter lvl 17
    I was going to see it anyway, but now I'll see it to spite them.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    can't really be surprised their plan is retarded. they're not known for their mental prowess...
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    This is retarded
  • Jonathan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman wrote: »
    This is retarded

Offensive! :nerd:
  • robioto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    robioto polycounter lvl 18
    I've worked with people who were mentally retarded and also had mental health issues. I think the movie could just as easily be satirizing Hollywood's take on people with mh/mr.

Why are movies about people with mh/mr always depicting them as these sweet, generous, kind, misunderstood, loving beings instead of giving people a more accurate depiction? (I'm thinking of Corky and Radio). Some people pull hair, are violent, masturbate constantly, are argumentative, ask you the same question repeatedly for hours on end, etc... and yet are still capable of being quite pleasant. I'm looking forward to the movie.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    The world would be a better place if people weren't so bitchy about tongue and cheek humor about your race, religion, size, mental state, etc. It's JOKING not hateful propaganda. What the hell happened to the ol "sticks and stones" saying?

This gave me a great laugh, much like the women bitching about that upcoming Fat Princess game.
  • doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
    It might be offensive if it wasn't true. The shortest path to an Oscar nomination is to play a character that is mentally disabled. Lemme see. . . A Beautiful Mind, Sling Blade, Rain Man, I Am Sam, Gilbert Grape, on and on and on.

So, an actor that wants an Oscar playing a character that's super charmingly retarded? Totally believable.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    those people clearly have not seen Gigli

god forbid someone make fun of something in a comedy. who wants to laugh anyway
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    on one hand i think boycotting a movie for it is a bit absurd (not seen it though) but on the other hand it's using someones medical condition as an insult. its not that hard to imagine it offending people, is it?

we used to call people spackers in school from the term spastic (cerebral palsy), but I stopped doing that a long time ago cos, well, its just not nice.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    doc_rob wrote: »
    It might be offensive if it wasn't true. The shortest path to an Oscar nomination is to play a character that is mentally disabled. Lemme see. . . A Beautiful Mind, Sling Blade, Rain Man, I Am Sam, Gilbert Grape, on and on and on.

So, an actor that wants an Oscar playing a character that's super charmingly retarded? Totally believable.

you do understand that its a comedy about Vietnam right.

the R rated trailer on iTunes, you have to check it out
  • steady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    steady polycounter lvl 18
    I laughed my balls off when we saw the trailer while seeing Pineapple Express. Can't wait!
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    aye ive got to add after my seriousness the bit in the trailer where the kid is on his back and jabbing him with the knife was class.. ill see it no doubt
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    God hates retards.
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    God hates retards.

Natural selection is proof of this.

Seriously though, this stuff is just lame. I mean, if there was any serious malicious intent against handicapped people it'd be one thing, but somehow I just don't think so.
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    I find it funny that it's not a depiction of a 'slow' character they are upset over, but rather the word itself. Seriously, Stiller's character in Tropic Thunder cannot be any worse than Zoolander, but because they say a certain word over and over people get their panties in a bunch. These people should hang out with some of the teens/20s generation, 'retard' is the least offensive word used to reference people.

Ah well, these people are only about 10 points away from being 'special' themselves. :p
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    in this case....

hate:
    a person who is handicapped and is called retarded

not hate:
    the situation in which a handicapped person is called retarded is objectified, allowing for understanding and wisdom to take place

stupidity:
    the lack of the ability for abstract thought, specifically to tell the difference between these two cases.
  • stimpack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stimpack polycounter lvl 10
    how many billions of people roam around on this planet? Why the hell do a certain few hundred get pissy when there 1 downfall gets made fun of. Im sure they have sat through tons of movies and laughed at other peoples expense. God forbid someone takes a jab at them. To top it off, they want EVERYONE to suffer b/c they do.

Im gonna see it, and im gonna laugh. Then i am going to come out of the theatres and still have a open heart for real mentally handicapped poeople. Nothing changes b/c i laughed at a few jokes aimed at them.
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    public TV censoring of the word "retard" in 3....2.....1.....
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Damn first video games teaching people how to make bombs, now a retarded movie being bitched at by retards that pretend to be helping the handicapped. Totally retarded. Boycott totally retarded.... retarded.... retarded.... retarded....Soo much BS retarded....

Alex
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    So wait... people are boycotting Tropic Thunder for a reason other than one of its major selling points is that it casts a white guy as a black guy? Not to suggest that they should, just that if anything was going to bug the moral minority, I would have thought it'd be that.
  • Saidin311
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saidin311 polycounter lvl 11
    Sadly any press, here or in the NYTimes is bad for my hatred of parody movies. Just propagating this crap gives it hype this movie doesn't deserve.

Ben Stiller would do the world a favor if he stopped making movies.

That also goes for the creators of the sadly upcoming Disaster Movie (People rag on Uwe Boll but he's in an A list league compared to Jason Friedberg).
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    Sorry, but I find Ben Stiller funny, if he stopped making movies it would be a great loss to the American comedic scene.
  • doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
    hawken wrote: »
    you do understand that its a comedy about Vietnam right.

the R rated trailer on iTunes, you have to check it out

You did read the article, right?
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    I think this is Ben Stiller's best movie anyway, his past ones are way too flamboyant (Especially Zoolander lol)

but yeah seriously this is retarded, and a ton of other echo ending with 'tard'
    it's as ridiculous as the UK 'spaz' censorship with that one Nintendo game, okay maybe more ridiculous than that when you have some organization going at it.
  • foreverendering
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    foreverendering polycounter lvl 12
    This is just going to give the movie more controversial hype and probably cause more people to see it.
  • Asmuel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asmuel polycounter lvl 17
    Ha! thats robert downey jr! I thought for a second "I know the name, but I don't know who that guy is" when I saw his pic. Convincing! This article has made me want to watch it 10x as much as I did before. Thanks!

I love how people think they should shit on something without even seeing it. thats fucking retarded.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    I worked with a chick back when i was in high school who had a retarded cousin and any time someone would say the word retard she would get pissed. Like ready to start swinging pissed. Yet the kids from the special ed classes In high school that were retarded never gave a fuck if they heard someone else being called retarded... Never did get that.

I guess its like how parents will use their kids as an excuse to be assholes or bitches in public.

I don't think a single slow person would be offended by the movie, in fact i would bet that a vast majority would laugh their asses off into a retarded frenzy.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    I think it's ok to call regular people, who are being stupid retarded. But it's not ok to call a mentally challenged person retarded.

It's like the N word, 50 cent can use it all he wants, but I can't touch it . . .

Fucking retarded double standards. . .
  • Marcus Dublin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marcus Dublin polycounter lvl 17
    I think the people who are judging this movie at face value should look up the word "satire".
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    Saidin311 wrote: »
    That also goes for the creators of the sadly upcoming Disaster Movie (People rag on Uwe Boll but he's in an A list league compared to Jason Friedberg).

I keep waiting for Mel Brooks to show up again and show these young whippersnappers how to make a good parody. :p