Home Technical Talk

Keeping corners in Zbrush

polycounter lvl 16
Offline / Send Message
JohnnySix polycounter lvl 16
I chamfered the edges thinking it'd keep it square, but it ends up looking like something made out of blu-tac. :p

09012e99afe860c4452b696afee01a07.jpg

Do I need to further tessellate the square before import?

Replies

• IxenonI
    Offline / Send Message
    IxenonI interpolator
    wrong way of chamfering.... every edge needs to be defined by two surrounding ones.
  • g0th
    Offline / Send Message
    g0th triangle
    go to the geometry tab and uncklick smt. It makes you able to divide without any smoothing at all
  • Wokky
    Offline / Send Message
    Wokky polycounter lvl 17
    Yeah you're not chamfering it correctly, you want it looking like this:
    subd-cube.jpg
  • JohnnySix
    Offline / Send Message
    g0th wrote: »
    go to the geometry tab and uncklick smt. It makes you able to divide without any smoothing at all

It worked, thanks! :D

Wokky wrote: »
    Yeah you're not chamfering it correctly, you want it looking like this:
    subd-cube.jpg

Wow, totally different to what I had. The chamfer edge tool in the editable polygon menu doesn't yield the same results though, would I do this with slices or cuts then?

Okay, figured it out - use the connect tool, and not the chamfer tool?

I made a cube resembling yours.
  • JohnnySix
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm , it worked on the exhaust pipes, but the middle box thing goes all rounded still. :poly122:

Fail_2_by_JohnnySix.jpg

Turning off smt works - but then doesn't smooth the curvy parts.

Should I then build this with separate parts?
  • Wokky
    Offline / Send Message
    Wokky polycounter lvl 17
    For a basic rule of thumb, if you don't want two faces to curve towards one another after subdivision, you need to have additional faces between them. You could chamfer the inside corners of those inset sections, or just cut in the extra faces required. I would recommend spending some time experimenting with sub-d surfaces in Max so that you can gain a good understanding of what it's really doing.
  • jeremy price
    Offline / Send Message
    jeremy price polycounter lvl 18
    another handy trick is to add a morph target at subd 1 before you divide.
    then subdivide a few times, slide back to subd 1 and hit the 'switch' button in the morph target rollout.
    Now when you step back up to higher divisions you'll see that the mesh has held the original form a little better.
  • bugo
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    a good way too is to take out "smt" button when dividing, and when u reach level 3 or 4 then you turn smooth on again. You wont need to make your chamfer edges for this one.