Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Magitek Armor (WIP)

edwardE_magitekWIP1.png

Reference is the battle sprite: http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Magitek_Armor_(Enemy)

For those of you who remember possibly the greatest RPG ever, no other machine quite brings back my childhood memories like the Magitek Armor from Final Fantasy 6.

One interesting fact is that there are at least three different versions seen in the game: the battle sprite, the world sprites http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Magitek_Armor, and back-view intro cinematic version, which look much more like conventional mechs http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2002/supernintendo/finalfantasy3/ff3_screen008.jpg. You can also see the fish-like version illustration that looks nothing like what they used in the game.

Since I was basing the model off of the battle sprite I had to improvise the back of it; I used inspiration from the NPC sprite.

The textures will be flat-diffuse; no spec or shading. I may intentionally go lower-than-normal texture res - I want this to look as close to the battle sprite as I can get it. 1-bit alpha will be used (or simulated). But first, UVs!

Replies

• LoTekK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LoTekK polycounter lvl 17
    Damn, that looks rad. Nice poly usage, and very true to the sprite. Seeing this get textured up should be fun. :D
  • edwardE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks a bunch - definitely looking forward to tex; I hope I can maintain the feel. (:
  • edwardE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    edwardE_magitekWIP2.png

Going with one 128^2 map for the majority, and a 64^2 map for the pilot and the legs (those giant feet just wouldn't fit with good enough texel size).

UVing is also when I really get to reduce the last bits I can as I'm forced to look at everything closer - managed to take off 32 more polygons with no real visible changes (number in image is actually 4 too many; forgot to delete the other side of the eye since it isn't mirrored when I took down the count).

The texel size on the inner core of the body (behind the arm) is noticably larger because these will be mostly shadowed and didn't need quite as much detail; even the feet themselves with the separate 64 map couldn't get quite as even texels as the rest, but I don't think this will be a big problem since the feet are basically just big plates of metal with no real fine detailing.
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nizza_waaarg polycounter lvl 15
    nice, cant wait to see it textured. 6 was my second favourite ff game (after 5 :P)
    and does look like nice poly usage, no crits here.
  • edwardE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    edwardE_magitekWIP3.jpg

Blocked in some of the colors and started working out the front plate and lens.
  • Cybroxide
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cybroxide polycounter lvl 17
    Thats looking really nice so far, keep it up. I like where it's going
  • edwardE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys - got the soldier worked out; might change his contrast a bit if he sticks out too much when more of the armor is done, but these will generally be his pixels (or texels, rather). I'm happy with how well the transfer between his 3D geo and his 2D hands worked.

edwardE_magitekWIP4.jpg
  • ThatDon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ThatDon polycounter lvl 11
    wow, awesome work!!!
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    yeah, it kicks ass! great job on the texture so far!
  • hobodactyl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hobodactyl polycounter lvl 18
    This is badass; I'm glad you're basing it off the sprite rather than the concepts or whatever; that's what I did with a model recently. Seems to evoke more nostalgia when it's based off what you actually saw in-game :D
  • LoTekK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LoTekK polycounter lvl 17
    Oh dude, this looks fucking rad so far!
  • Ziodyne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oof, nostalgia kick in!

That's some kick ass low poly modeling. Can't wait to see what it looks like textured!
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bluekangaroo polycounter lvl 13
    my only critique would be that he should have a hat...preferably a cowboy hat. or police officer cap
  • Randommonkies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    next you have to do the ghost train
  • Daaark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daaark polycounter lvl 17
    Awesome!

I was just posting on a forum somewhere that I wish they would remake FF6 into a 3D game the way they have been doing with other older FF titles, because the sprites in that game didn't do the artwork justice (because of the limits of the time).
  • Mezz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    Oh wow.

This model makes me happy in ways I can't describe :)
    One of the best games ever, so I love to see what you're doing with that awesome magitek armour!! (Takes me back... sigh... remember those brief moments of awesome destruction happiness when you get to run around and fight in that badass stuff?)
    It's looking very awesome, keep it up, can't wait to see the final version!
  • edwardE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's great to see it brings back the old nostalgia of the good days - back to a simpler time during the second war when me and Pappy sat on the ol' step and tho- wait, nevermind.

I poked a bit more with it today; tightened up the colors and generally tried to make it look less washed-out.

edwardE_magitekWIP5.jpg
  • Daaark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It needs more 'bordering' along the object. the shapes kind of erode because the texture removes their definition.

I would love to see this model inside a whole little scene.
  • Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    This looks great, really faithful to the sprite!
    Wish they would remake FF6 someday on DS with models like this one, that would be awesome.
  • Ziodyne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    But is it Biggs, or Wedge piloting?

Front part is popping out a lot more now! And the lens/eye/canon bit still looks really cool.
  • edwardE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vampyre_Dark: I'm not 100% sure what you mean by the 'bordering' D:

Bal: I would pretty much punch myself in the face if they made FF6 for DS, simply because nothing else could express my joy.

Ziodyne: I think this would just be a generic magitek soldier - if he was a named character I'd probably give him a more unique face instead of the faceless 'drone' look he has now.

Been juggling this between another project, but it's coming along. I think I'm pretty much satisfied with the core body now; poking with the shoulders and arms now, which aren't done yet. I'm getting towards the point where I'm having to improvise some of the design now, since the sprite it's based on obviously only shows one angle.

I've made up my mind - he'll be getting simple rigging and will be shooting Fire Beam.

edwardE_magitekWIP6.jpg
    magitekfirebeam.jpg
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    edwardE wrote: »
    Bal: I would pretty much punch myself in the face if they made FF6 for DS, simply because nothing else could express my joy.

give it a year. it's comin. I'm probably going to do the same thing. Let's punch each others faces instead.
  • Mezz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    It would make sense. Seems they're remaking every other old FF game for DS, why not FF6 too? And when they do... I'll... I'll... I'll...!!!!! Well... I guess I'll buy it lol. Though a punch in the face might be appropriate. Or at least a pinch to make sure I'm awake. If they overhaul it like ffIV with the cutscenes and the VOICE acting... :O!!!! THe ps1 'remake' was overall pretty lame. Need better remake!

Back to the point, yes, let's see some firebeamin'!!
  • Daaark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    edwardE wrote: »
    Vampyre_Dark: I'm not 100% sure what you mean by the 'bordering' D:
    Sorry. I meant that the shape of the feet kind of erodes into just a bunch of shapeless yellow pixels. It's like that in other places too, but I guess you just haven't finished all the texturing.

I can't believe I missed this. It said there was no new replies, I was coming in here to ask why you haven't updated. :poly136::poly122:
  • edwardE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Been working on my demo reel - neglected Mr. Magitek the past couple days, but I did manage to get "some firebeamin'!!"

Although really cool back in the day, the effect for Fire Beam does seem a bit limited as far as what the SNES hardware could pull off - I tried to keep the same effect, but with a more updated look in mind.

It's a 64x64 map with 64x64 black and white mask. I may be pushing what could be possible in the kind of hardware that would have a model of this poly count in it - it does use an additive blend in a layered shader; but I'm quite satisfied with the final output, so bending the rules a tiny bit doesn't bother me too much.

The entire beam is constrained to the camera as a sort of one-axis sprite - it rolls on the Z axis (straight down the beam) so that it always faces the camera.

The beam coming out a bit in front of the lens was intentional - I like the concept of focusing invisible energy that collides into a giant beam, ahead of the emitter itself.

I didn't realize how much YouTube destroys video once you upload. :poly117:

[ame]http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1j576j6mtU[/ame]
  • hobodactyl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hobodactyl polycounter lvl 18
    Cool! ... but I want to see the textures finished!
  • edwardE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reel is pretty much done, so I got to focus on Magitek today - his back is what I've been working on; consciously avoiding the feet until last.

edwardE_magitekWIP8.jpg

EDIT: All right, fiddled with his feet for a while trying things out - I decided to stick pretty subtle because his feet stick out enough as they are (being gigantic). I'm satisfied enough to say the textures are done; rigging and animation (to the best of my ability) comes next.

edwardE_magitekTEXFIN.jpg
  • Daaark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It just gets better and better. I'd love to see small scene built around this.