Home General Discussion

Ps3 bc

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
joe gracey polycounter lvl 11
I'm confused, do any of the current PS3 models have BC? I thought I read that they did, but then I read somewhere else that the new sku's don't. Anyone care to educate me?

Replies

• Jesse Moody
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
  • Jonathan
  • thomasp
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    they don't. plain. sucks.
    i gave in and bought a decent used one with backwards-compatibility. maybe one day we will see software-only PS2-emulation across all PS3-models? the only move that would make sense from my POV...
  • Daaark
    Offline / Send Message
    Daaark polycounter lvl 17
    The 80 gb models have software emulation.
    The oldschool 60gb models have the Ps2 chipset inside them.
    The 40gb models don't even do software, which is baffling.
  • Keg
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
  • Jesse Moody
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    funny that they remove features, memory stick slots, bc, 4 usb plugs now theres 2 up front and yet the price doesn't change.
  • Farfarer
    This pissed me off pretty badly, recently. I just bought a PS3 and spent quite a long time hunting down a UK 60gb one that was reasonably priced so I could get the backwards compatibility (and even then it's only software) :/
  • Keg
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    I've been hearing Shadow of the Colossus and some other games won't play properly on the partial software BC setups can anyone confirm or deny?

When I do get a ps3, there's a few games i'm interested in playing. I suppose I could get a ps2 in the mean time, but I'd prefer just to get a ps3 at some point and have access to blu-ray and ps3 games as well
  • Target_Renegade
    Offline / Send Message
    Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
    I am sure the 40gb models don't have bc, the 60gb UK model had the software emulation, and the 60gb USA modle had the emotion chip. Which I think was highly backwards compatible. My mate got a 40gb model for free, but was gutted when he couldn't play his old games. The reason was that PES2008 sucked hard and he wanted to play v6.

Might as well buy a PS2 for cheap and have that, theres no real advantages running PS2 games on the PS3 since upscaling, if any, isn't significant.
  • Farfarer
    Keg wrote: »
    I've been hearing Shadow of the Colossus and some other games won't play properly on the partial software BC setups can anyone confirm or deny?

When I do get a ps3, there's a few games i'm interested in playing. I suppose I could get a ps2 in the mean time, but I'd prefer just to get a ps3 at some point and have access to blu-ray and ps3 games as well
    Sony's site says both Shadow of the Colossus and Ico play fine with the software emulation. Haven't tried either, yet, myself.
  • joe gracey
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't mind keeping my ps2 to play games on, it bugs me that Sony decided for me that I wanted a blu-ray player and not BC. I will buy a ps3 eventually, I just wish they made total game enjoyment a higher priority on the ps3 rather than making me buy a blu-ray player.

And I'm not just singling out the ps3 about bc, xbox 360 as well.
  • thomasp
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    both titles are playing fine here on an euro-60gb-model, judging only from the attract mode and a few steps into the game.
  • Michael Knubben
    Joe: well, it'd be hard for them to drop the blue-ray for bc though, since that'd make it a ps2 ;)

I agree though. I was considering getting a ps3 over an 360 mostly for it's backwards compatibility, as the ps2 selection really adds a impressive array of wonderful games. Really gutted about this, it's a terrible decision, imo. I take it this also limits the extent to which firmware updates will take care of any lingering bc issues with some games? Seems unlikely for them to continue work on this when no new customers will benefit from it.
  • Mister Sentient
    Offline / Send Message
    Mister Sentient polycounter lvl 18
    Don't forget PSOne backwards compatibility still works on the new PS3s.
  • joe gracey
    Offline / Send Message
    good point mightpea... forgot that ps3 games are made on bluray discs. :)
  • ebagg
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    You might as well keep your PS2 out, I made the dumb mistake of selling my xbox to get a 360, never making that mistake again.
  • sonic
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    ebagg wrote: »
    You might as well keep your PS2 out, I made the dumb mistake of selling my xbox to get a 360, never making that mistake again.

Well, I'm actually impressed with the 360 BC because it upconverts the games and makes them much nicer looking on my HDTV.
  • nacire
    Offline / Send Message
    nacire polycounter lvl 17
    Just bought a PS3 MGS4 bundle so I could get at least the software BC before it's completely gone. I've played SotC without any problems at all and it looks quite nice to me. I've yet to try Ico, but I'll try it soon. If you really want BC and a new console, best to get looking now as the MGS4 bundles are starting to thin out.
  • Richard Kain
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    I picked up a 80GB Metal Gear Solid Bundle as well, and I haven't had any problem with PS2 backwards compatibility as of yet. Granted, I've only played a few of my PS2 games on it, but what I've put in it so far has run without any hitches.

The bad thing about software emulation is that it isn't initially as complete as hardware emulation. The good thing about it is that any issues found can be patched later. (not that that will actually happen, but the possibility is there) And yes, PS1 games run like a dream come true. (the PS3 can upscale them to the native resolution of your screen, so no jaggies)

At the moment, I would have to say that the Wii has the best backwards compatibility. But the PS3 comes in at a close second for the 80 GB models. 40 GB models are unfortunately hamstrung without even software emulation for the PS2 titles. As much as I enjoy playing PS1 games on it, I consider the PS2's overall library to be superior to its predecessor. The 360's BC isn't bad, but its no great shakes either. I've noticed slowdown and hiccups when playing some games on it. It's obvious that Microsoft shoehorned it in after the fact.