Home Technical Talk

Multigen Creator

Im just curious to see how mainsteam this program is or may be. I have used it for the last 1.5 years at my current job. Not saying its a great 3D program or anything I was just want to know how many people have heard of it and if so what are your thoughts on it as an overall program.

discuss...if possible

Replies

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    never heard of it, how about a little more info.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    hey, a flashback to the nineties! i remember multigen as a modelling package from back in uni/lab when VR was considered an emerging market, SGI the only proper 3D workstation manufacturer and VRML the new and coming standard for web browsing. ;)
    i only played around with it very briefly before maya came along. it was said that multigen at the time was used in gamedev to some extend but it was mainly common in simulation/VR - the developer paradigm had some ties with the military if i recall correctly.

haven't seen it in ages nor have ever heard anything about paradigm simulations since then.
    what sets it apart from max, maya, etc in a positive way these days?
  • Andy_S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi,

I use Creator on a daily basis, it's now owned by Presagis, who bought Multigen-Paradigm last year.

We use it for producing realtime models in OpenFlight format that go into flight simulators. OpenFlight is still the standard format for most simulators and Creator is one of the only tools that provides access to all the runtime features of OpenFlight ( LODs, switch nodes, lightpoints, Degrees of Freedom).

In terms of modelling tools it's doesn't offer nearly as many features as Max, Maya etc. In our office we use a combination of tools for the actual modelling (max, modo, blender) and mainly use Creator to add in the OpenFlight specific stuff. It does have some quite cool tools for quickly modelling bridges, buildings and runways though. It is also able to handle massive terrain areas, with proper map projection support for conversion from latitude/longtitude into x,y,z.

The latest release of OpenFlight does now support advanced materials (normal maps, specular map etc), so the visual quality of models you can produc is now up there with next-gen game models.

Cheers,

Andy.