Home Technical Talk

3D Character and c# with XNA java with m3g implementation?

Hi,

at the moment i´am working on my diploma thesis with the title:

Analysis and practical application of real-time process - 3D character creation and implementation exemplary for a real-time application with the help of the XNA - Frameworks in C # and M3G in Java.

I finished my design process and want to plan and start the modeling process. But i don´t really know what polycount is standart and possible for the applications(games) at the moment.

a) for XNA and C# Games
b) for Java and M3G Games (games for mobile phones)

at next the texture size for both.....

any help would be very helpful....

Thx

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    These links might help.
    a) Yes, but how many polygons? (rsart.co.uk)
    b) Low Poly Hardware Specs (on going) (polycount archives)
  • Art1977
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh thx, this will help me. :-)
  • Art1977
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My workflow will be the following:
    • Building of Basemesh in Maya
    • Create (UVs) with Headous UV-Layout
    • Detailing in Zbrush (Creating of Normalmaps)
    • Painting of Textures with ZBrush
    • Rigging and Animation with Maya
    • Export for the Realtime-Engine.
    The Polycount for Model in XNA should be around 15.000 Triangles and Texture Size of 1024 * 1024

The Polycount for the M3G - Model around 1000-2000 Triangles ??? and a texture Size of 128 * 128

Do somebody know which texture maps could be used with M3G ?
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    Seeing as M3G is an api you could likely make your game use whatever texture format you wanted.
    However seeing as it is targeted at a mobile java platform, ala phones etc, you're going to want to keep the texture memory footprint down, so going with a limited palette format would be good. one's I know of are PCX, GIF, PNG. Look into development for the DS, and mobile phones for better specs.

and honestly 1-2k triangles might even be a bit much for a smartphone unless its all that is on screen.
    For your PC version model.. like one of those articles says, polycount per character depends on what the overall game environment is, as well as how well the raw data is handled.
    IE I can run Unreal Tournament 3 really well on my pc, 1440X900 with high settings, but I have to turn guitar hero down to minimums and it's still a bit choppy.
  • Art1977
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I should mention that only this character will be on the screen. Maybe a room with some elements or a simple plane on which the character can walk. This should only be a demonstration, how the designed, modeled, rigged and animated char could be implemented on both systems.
  • Art1977
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Could somebody tell me which texture maps are supported at m3g ?

Just color textures or is it possible to use also specularmaps, bump maps ? I think normal maps are not supported at the moment.

Is it also possible to split up textures, for example the head and the body.Or is it better to use just one texture map for all, to keep the use of memory low.

And did you know if its possible:

Export the animations(Idle,Walkcycle,Runcycle etc..) in clipanimation and to split up the animations later in the application. In the Application the clips will be called when the user presses the defined button.

This is the way it is done in some XNA-Tutorials i read, but unfortunately for m3g there are less documentions or tutorials.
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    well based on browsing through this
    http://developers.sun.com/mobility/apis/articles/3dgraphics/

.png's apparently are supported.
  • Art1977
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    But i can´t find anything about the supported textures.

About the animation this should obviously answer my question:
    SkinnedMesh A scene graph node that represents a skeletally animated polygon mesh
    the question is, if could be achieved like in xna:
    Export the animations(Idle,Walkcycle,Runcycle etc..) in clipanimation and to split up the animations later in the application. In the Application the clips will be called when the user presses the defined button.

But unfortunately i found no tutorial or documentation about this.
  • Art1977
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Has somebody some adivce ?
  • Art1977
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Could somebody tell me, if the model for M3G hast to consist of one seamless geometry, or is it possible to export the model with bones an geometry in pieces(Head, Body, Arms, Boots for example).