Home General Discussion

Using professional work in a portfolio

Hi, I currently work at a small studio and have been wanting to revamp my website/portfolio. I've done a great deal of work at this studio that I would like to be able to show to potential employers. What I'm confused about is what the general practice for showing this work is(if there is one).

Most of the work I would want to show isn't in publically available screenshots (because it's concept art, or because the amount of screenshots online are sparse). I'm sure I signed some sort of nda when first started there, but I don't remember the specifics. I'm hesitant to ask around at work because it would probably look like I'm looking for a new job (which I kinda am....)

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone that's been in a similar position has any advice. Sorry for the long post :)

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd talk to your AD with the slant of just wanting to keep things up to date, people have been asking you'd like to show it off bla bla bla... Most of the time places don't care as long as you only take credit for what you did, and sometimes you have to label it as belonging to the company so they don't get ripped off. The last time I asked about it, I got a raise a few weeks later. Could be a total coincidence but something tells me not.

If thats going to put you in a dangerous position, then don't make it public and just attach the stuff to an email or make another sub-site.
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Vig wrote: »
    I'd talk to your AD with the slant of just wanting to keep things up to date, people have been asking you'd like to show it off bla bla bla... Most of the time places don't care as long as you only take credit for what you did, and sometimes you have to label it as belonging to the company so they don't get ripped off. The last time I asked about it, I got a raise a few weeks later. Could be a total coincidence but something tells me not.

If thats going to put you in a dangerous position, then don't make it public and just attach the stuff to an email or make another sub-site.

Always get approval first/read what you signed before...and if you get the green light...put on a watermark somewhere to label it clearly...like mentioned.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    You'll need the company's permission to show off work you've created under their employment without pissing them off, getting sued, or waking up next to your pet's severed head. It's dick but it happens. I doubt the pet killing happens.

Ideally you cannot publicly show any work under NDA until after the game has shipped. They want to announce their game their way. It's dick but it happens.

If you're looking for a new job, I'd just show the work privately at an interview. I personally would hesitate to ask a manager for permission giving that reason unless I trusted the Company. Some companies run things pretty strictly and may end your employment before you wanted to. It's dick but it happens.
  • Rob Galanakis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The unspoken rule is that it is OK to show stuff privately for a job. Generally you'd make a hidden page on your site with your NDA stuff that you'd only send a link either when you send off your portfolio, or when you get an email back from a recruiter/HR person who is interested. It is your call and it depends on how important what you are working on is- unannounced DS shovelware, I wouldn't worry, a high-profile AAA game everyone is dying to find out what it is, you may be better off not.

One thing I would encourage is that you do NOT discuss it with your company, unless you really trust them or there are some unusual circumstances (such as the company announcing it is going to close down). The legal point of view is, you signed an NDA, they own your work, you showing your work is illegal and breaking your NDA. There is really no grey area around it. Let's say you show your work and somehow the company finds out, and gets mad. Argh!, they say, naughty! But let's say you asked for, and were denied, permission. The company is much more likely to be really upset, because when they denied your request you lost any sort of deniability or ambiguity or ethical right to show your work.
  • owlbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys, this is all useful info. Some of it I kind of assumed, but it's good to hear it from others. I'll probably end up just showing it privately to those I choose to.