Home General Discussion

Transition and industry questions...

polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
digitaldavinci polycounter lvl 15
Hello to all,

This is my first post here at polycount, and a long one (sorry). I appreciate how close of a community you are, and the level of professionalism in regards to the posts. I no longer post on many other forums due to the lack of a true critique.

After reading a boast...I mean...a post of an artist self-stating he "had the chops" to be in the industry, then only to be deservedly cut down to size by an obvious professional; I realized polycount would be a great community to join.

That said...I'll get to the points at hand. Here is just a little background for qualification purposes.

I am currently a project manager at a well-known Arch Viz company in the Southeast United States, and have been for 4 years. My contract is fulfilled in April of '09, and I now tire of the "clean, straight, and over-revised" world of Arch Viz. I feel my website proves that I have talent to work in the 3D community. (www.joshuaratliff.com - 90% time sensitive/contracted work) These questions are not to boost an unfounded ego. I merely would like to get your points of view for a person that IS moving to the Northwest U.S. in April '09, and IS going to strive for employment in the gamming industry. I have only begun to learn the community’s vocation, and I would never be so rude to imply I'm ready to get a job. I will be searching for employment in cinematics, or environment creation. I have recently finished the eat 3d old pillar DVD. Today I'm starting on the Next Gen Texturing DVD. I realize I LOVE the gamming world so far, and I find it extremely rewarding. I'm going to continue for the next 9 months to hone my skills, and push the envelope in regards to my digital talents for gamming. Your input will help me grow in the right directions, and will be greatly appreciated.

1. I really love game cinematics, as I'm sure everyone does. Is this area of the industry for seasoned vets, coveted by everyone, and/or outsourced to the point that an American has no hope of working on one?

2. Any suggestions for someone that "knows" the 3d world in one facet (Arch-Viz), but not gamming? Anyone made a similar transition?

3. How important is a shipped game title? If I can manage employees and over 100 projects in 4 years right out of school, then am I employable without the title? Seems to be all a company cares about in this industry. It's very different in the Arch Viz world where you are judged on your artwork, skills, AND experience.

4. Finally, If anyone would like to tell me anything they feel is important, or just tell a story of how your broke into your first "real job" in the industry. (Not helped with the game that is going to make your friend millions...someday) I'm all ears.

Sorry for the hella-long-email...first one and all. The rest will be shorter. Promise.

Joshua

Replies

• Cojax
    Offline / Send Message
    Cojax polycounter lvl 10
    Hi Josh. Welcome to Polycount. You have a leg up with getting a job in the industry, and all you have to do is make some great game art pieces for your portfolio. Watching those DVDs is great. I would pick up a copy of Unreal Tournament 3 collectors edition and watch the training DVD's. Learn how to put your models in game, and make a nice scene or level using your own stuff. You will learn how to work with a game editor and better tailor your assets to work with the game. This is just one of many ways you could go about preparing your portfolio.

Most of all just have fun, and good luck. I'm sure you will receive plenty more advice others here at polycount.
  • pliang
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Yep, start looking up them 3d resource DVD's, definitely get used to level editors' pipeline and update your site with specific game art (environments like the condos on your site) and soon enough you will be shipping a game....

Also what you currently have is great in its own right but learning other ways to light environments and more diverse subject matter would definitely help in the long run....a coworker of mine had previously been in Arch-Viz as well and managed to make the transition to games when she picked up doing specifically game art...

The reason why experience shipping games are important is because it implies whether you've been involved in working with a team in a game development cycle or not. In your case i think you just need to highlight what you specifically did as a project manager and apply the transferable skills in an interview...

Just an input...
  • digitaldavinci
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you Cojax...I'm going to best buy right after I finish typing, and buying the Unreal Tournament 3 CE. I also have noticed there a vast number of tutorials on the web. Fantastic! I will take your advise into account while headding in my new direction, and I also enjoyed your UT mods and environment on your site. Nice skills.
  • digitaldavinci
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang...wow what a great website you have. Your vehicle mods are fantastic! I noticed you in many forums, and I appreciate your opinion. I love lighting, and I feel that may be an element I will focus on in the future. I've bought some cinematography books recently in hopes to strengthen both my composition and design skills. My lighting is very similar throughout my current works because of the industry. You would not believe how many times I've been asked for two suns, light bulbs to be brighter than the sun, etc. LOL I finally found a lighting solution that is universally excepted by my clients, but I agree though...it's boaring

I'll try to apply the techniques I've learned in my traditional art training to my 3d art. My site exists more for picking-up contract work, than employers right now. That will change as I learn more, and post my works. Thank you.
  • Tulkamir
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    1. Cinematics are entirely dependant on what company you are at. Some companys (like Blizzard) have in house cinematic teams, but that's a bit unusual in my experience. I'd think the best way to become a cinematic artist would be to look for work at a studio that does that sort of thing specficially. There are plenty of those in North America.

3. Honestly I think a lot of the "must have atleast one shipped title" is based around keeping the riff raff out. In my experience it is based FAR more on portfolio and qualifications than on titles shipped. Build a good portolio and you'll be fine. And with that in mind you've already got some great looking traditional art on your site, that will go a long ways in helping you get a job.

4. I think you've already got your shit straight and are looking good. The important stuff in my mind is that you are passionate about it and are willing to work hard to build a portfolio. You seem to be digging right in to tutorials and doing your best to learn all the right stuff, so just keep at it, work hard to build up a good portfolio, and you'll be fine. Also, good networking works wonders.
  • Ruz
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    looks a bit generic as now. you really need to get to grips with next gen stuff and the whole vid game vibe,. it looks a bit standard right now although the architectural stuff looks competent, its not thrilling.
    For someone who loves cinematics, you seem to have very little to show for 4 years work

more work less talk.sorry to be harsh:)
  • Asmuel
    Offline / Send Message
    Asmuel polycounter lvl 17
    You should definitely apply for a job in a cinematics department somewhere. doing enviro stuff. Your obviously a realistic candidate for that sort of position, so they may offer advice if you ask for it, as far as what more they would like to see.
  • Sage
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    I was looking through your work real nice. I really like the drawings.
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 19
    A fellow AiFL grad
    GO BLOW!
    GO FISH!
    GO BLOWFISH!
  • Ruz
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    digitaldavinci - I understand what you are saying, but I am approaching it from the point of view that I don't know you as would anyone else who is viewing your stuff on line.

what you want in your folio is stuff that reflects the reality of modern games.

perhaps its just a question repackaging some of the stuff you have already done ie just presenting it in a really dynamic way.

you must have a shed load of work from the last 4 years and it would n't take much to change the focus of it

I don't think the traditional drawing stuff really helps sell you as well TBH.

A company had I used to work at had a really good cinematic artist and looking at his stuff, his sense of composition timing etc was spot on.

I think if you do some more research and find out exactly what is required, then 'find' the time to make something of a similar quailty, then you will be well on the way.

I am just calling it as I see it, I looked through a lot of folios in my last job and you will find that stuff is discarded so quickly unless its not exactly what the lead is looking for.

They really won't care about your current circumstances etc.

Your architectural work looks fairly nice, but I found the site a bit confusing. the main menu was in my peripheral vision and I missed it fist time around.

So you would n't fancy just being an environmental artist then?. At the moment that seems what you are most geared towards and there is a lot of demand for that kind of work right now.

No wireframes - didn't see any. did you do all the work ie modelling the main buildings/texturing making the the props etc . might be wise to mention that

might be also wise to lose the 'thank you' and inspiration' menus unless there is actually something to show.

best of luck anyway
  • digitaldavinci
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you Ruz. I apologize if I was rude earlier. I hate to be associated with artwork of such low standards to be honest (obviously gets me defensive), but man's got eat. I agree with all your points, and I am in the process of aplying some of them now to the site. The content will have to change over the next 9 months, and the current stuff will be off the site entirely by the end. I value all of your opinions. Thanks again
  • monkeyboy_garth
    Offline / Send Message
    monkeyboy_garth polycounter lvl 9
    Hi digitaldavinci, welcome to Polycount + Good luck in finding a job in the games industry. You definitely have a demonstrated ability to do the work. I'd say many employers would hire you straight up, no worries - but it can't hurt to do a few projects that show you understand the process of creating game-art. It's a pity you don't have access to those files so you can tinker with them somehow.

I know it's going over the same old ground, but I'd create a different, more user friendly portfolio for your game-art.

Oh, and don't get too defensive in your posts - polycounters can smell fear ;)
  • digitaldavinci
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin...When did you graduate? How is Virginia? Heard it is beautiful. Glad to see some one from AIFL is out there doing something they enjoy. Keep it up!

Thanks for the insight monkeyboy. I agree with all you said. Especially revising my site. As you may notice, I took down the pissy and overcompensating posts I put up earlier. Lack of sleep is my excuse. ;-) Let the comments fly...I asked for it. Thanks again for the points of view

Have a great week to all. See ya next weekend.