Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Environment Practice

Hey guys, I'm spending the summer trying to get as comfortable as I can with the hi to low poly way of environment modelling as well as modularity.

I'm doing a sci-fi corridor scene, cliche I know but theres tons of ref and as its a confined environment it's easier than an outdoor scene I think. I'm using this project as a big learning curve not only for this workflow but also getting it into the Unreal 3 engine.

Here's where I'm up to, I've started to UV map the low poly and when done am going to bake the normals and see how it comes out.

Crappy lighting paintover but gives you a rough idea of the scene.
th_paintover_light_grey.jpg

Low poly on left and high on right, is this enough detail for a high poly object as things like dents and scratches would be overlayed in photoshop?
th_wip_4.jpg

Unwrap in progress, going to overlap parts that can be done and when I generate the normal map will move parts over by 1 in the UV space, is that ok?
th_wip_3.jpg

The objects I have so far, trying to keep it modular. Should I just make sections for piping on walls and then make those modular too?
th_wip_2.jpg

I'm looking for any crits and suggestions, anything I'm doing majorly wrong or which doesn't make sense I'd love to hear and be as harsh as you like because I know that's what I need to hear. Sorry for the long post but wanted to be as clear as I could so I can get some good feedback :D

Replies

• ImSlightlyBored
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ImSlightlyBored polycounter lvl 13
    everything looks ok so far, but it'd be good to know what type of game this is going in (FPS i assume?) If its FPS you need to reconsider some detail areas, such as on the strut part of the arch and sacrifice a few more polys from above details.

The unwrap is ok, bit of nasty texture stretching on the depth axis, I'd consider fixing that. Alongside the first point, the top of your model is very densely mapped, are you sure about that?

Thats enough detail on the hi (normally) but could we see it without the edged faces? Also the detail it has is determined by the target map size you are using. If your going for 2048's a little more detail could go in. Theres a good quote from Ben 'poopinmymouth' mathis, "[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]if anything is less than an 1/8th inch thick, it should be left to this stage [photoshop] to create.[/FONT]"

Replace 1/8th inch for something a bit more relevant to your instance.

Make modular piping, yeah.
    Maybe consider splitting this model down the center, and make two seperate halves (as I notice its asymmetrical to a degree) and then those two halves can make a few more variations to be played with.
  • carlo_c
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lack of updates but I've been working on it when I have time. Just getting the models done one at a time, the recent thread about the UT3 environment pieces has been really inspiring.

Its going to be aimed at an FPS game, this project is more of a "getting thrown in the deep end" for me as it will force me to really nail new techniques. I'm trying to incorporate mudbox into the workflow too, I just couldn't grasp Zbrush but mudbox seems to be more user friendly and I am starting to understand it.

Screenshot taken from Xnormal of the bulkhead and floor textured with diffuse, normal and spec maps:
    xnormal.jpg

Wall piece in progress, the UT3 thread has really inspired me to try and put more detail into the hi-res meshes this is just the start:

Capture.jpg
  • carlo_c
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some more progress on the wall and a quick paintover to give me some focus for modelling tomorrow. I have yet to add any wear and tear to this, probably going to do that in mudbox.

wall_render.jpg

what_to_work_oncopy.jpg

I'm starting to think about the low poly for this and I'm unsure as to how I'm going to tackle the large piping, should I have those as seperate objects from the wall and just place them relevantly in the editor or incorporate it as one?
  • Kawe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kawe polycounter lvl 8
    uuhm.. what are those bars for? it looks like something you can hold onto but why would I hold onto something that's on the floor? and the one that's way up there that is angled.. well.. I dn't know.

maybe they are pipes I guess. if it is pipes I'd rather see them go from floor to roof instead. makes no sense to have pipes sticking out like that really unless there are valves or something on them.

now I learnt something new! :)
  • ImSlightlyBored
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ImSlightlyBored polycounter lvl 13
    You would probably get more use out of your pipes if you did them as seperate objects, yeah.

There are a few choices you can take now (so I'll only write what I would do), but what I would do is, if they are integral to this elements design, keep them on the wall actor like youve shown and carry on as normal but then rip the pipes off the wall and import each in to UEd as a static actor. You've already got them textured, then, and you can place them around to decorate with.

If the design doesnt work without the pipes then theres always a chance it could be put together, without the pipes. Disaster!
  • Ironwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Way too much poly for a wall dont you think?
  • carlo_c
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys another update, I think I'm pretty much done with this now in max. I'm going to take it into mudbox next to add some wear and tear such as large dents and worn edges. Someone also told me that really small details might not get picked up when baking the normal map and so I am going to leave those to be overlayed in photoshop.
    I'd love to animate the fan in Unreal 3 too so its just constantly spinning, another thing to add to my long list of things to do!

wall_render2.jpg

I decided to keep the pipes integrated into the design of the wall but I'm going to take your advice ImSlightlyBored and create a couple more pipe variations and use them across the ceiling later on.

They are pipes Kawe lol they did look weird so I added the little connector, I hope that helped. I'm going to add some more detail in the diffuse texture so its easily readable that they are pipes.

Ironwolf, I'm making the high poly first before I make the low to match it I think a lot of people do it this way. Or do you think its too much detail for a wall? It is going to be for a corridor scene so I don't want it to look too empty.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    I see what you did there! I like where you're going, you just need to push your work a little farther.

The horizontal vent lines are probably too small to translate to a normal map. You will likely run into similar problems with the pipes in the top inset and the wires of the fan.

Oh I just saw those metal brackets holding the fan plate on. Those won't show up either. If it doesn't show up in a screenshot of the source, it probably won't do anything in game.

I like the teethy trim at the top and bottom.

here's some ideas off the top of my head
    carl0.jpg
  • carlo_c
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the paintover and advice cholden, I will definately sort out the smaller parts and your paintover is just what I needed to give me that push in detail thank you! :)
  • carlo_c
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm now done with the hi-poly so I can get started with the low poly fun. Here's the results:

wall_hi.jpg

I took advice from your paintover cholden, it really did push the wall further and I'm really pleased with how it turned out. I just hope my texturing doesn't destroy the detail lol.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Big improvement. Looks like you have some 90 degree edges, and some small things that still won't translate that well to a normal unless you smooth this out a bit.

At this point, you're better off making the low and testing things out for yourself. We can tell you all day how to improve it, but sometimes you need to see how it actually works.
  • carlo_c
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm pretty much done with the wall now, threw all together in xnormal to see how it looked. Going to add some colour to the other 2 objects textures and then try to bring it into U3 engine.

wall_floor.jpg
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, great job getting it all together. Do you mind posting your flats? Might have some tips on your materials, but not sure until I see them.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    hats much better, digging the larger shapes, lots of small details get lost in the mipmaping and dont translate aswell

id add some more variation to the colour of your metal, at the mo nearly every panel is the same metal, pick 3 or 4 metals and use those, say one base, one fro panels, one for the pipes and one for the details. dont over-do it but if you use a set of metals in consistant places it can be quite effective
  • StrangeFate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StrangeFate polycounter lvl 18
    the materials are very boring to look at, plain gray with nothing to it
    I'd try to give some of the parts different metal properties, as if some beams maybe were built with a heavier metal while the rest was done in a lighter one, with slight different shades and tones (if you really want to keep it all close to gray).
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    the middle section reminds me of the boss in tron

tron%20arcade%20ad-thumb.jpg
  • carlo_c
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys thanks for the comments, I have tried to work more colour into the wall texture because people were saying the other 2 objects were too grey so if the wall colours are working I'll use them on the rest of the objects too.

Thanks for all the advice cholden, heres the flats for the objects sorry for the external link they were too large to post here. I haven't seen tron for years but i can see the resemblance, weird!!

First one is bulkhead, second is floor and third on right is wall.

th_bulkhead.jpg th_floor.jpg th_wall.jpg
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    still too monotone though
  • carlo_c
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    These textures are unchanged from the screenshot above, I'm taking a break from texturing and seeing if I can bring these objects into the unreal engine because I haven't used it before (we used cryengine2's sandbox at uni) and I'm hoping to get some exp with the U3 engine this summer!

Just thought I'd wait and see if I get any feedback on my flats as well to take into account when taking another go at them, sorry if I confused you shepeiro!

p.s. thanks for all the advice so far guys, just wanted to say this community is awesome!
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heres a quick paint over, just an idea like

paintover-2.jpg
  • carlo_c
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for that paintover shepeiero, I see what you guys are talking about with different materials now don't know why it didn't click before lol.

Been tinkering with U3 for most of today, now i read somewhere that U3 supported mirrored UV's before I started this so with that in mind I ran into this problem when I imported my model:

mirrored_help.jpg

Its mirrored across the middle, worked fine in Xnormal but when I brought the mesh into U3 it didn't like the fact I had the mirrored UV's outside the 0-1 grid space so I overlapped them again. I used the "double half bake" method, to quote from the post I read it in.

I have searched but the posts I've read just don't make much sense to me in terms of a solution.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    do you perhaps need s seperate material for the flipped side thats how i have done it in other engines
  • yeluis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeluis polycounter lvl 17
    unreal doesn't like seams on the uvs and will create this artifact from it try stitching it and giving it a light map that should help
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    afaik, U3 supports only horizontal UV mirroring. Spec and reflective maps are not happy with vertical mirroring. Looking at the flats, that's not your problem...

in my experience with using U3, it should not have any problems with UVs outside the 0-1 grid space. Almost every asset I've made has UVs outside the grid.

Baking the lighting in your scene can sometimes solve weird shading issues like this.

Other than that... I'd ask if you'd reset xform and normalized the faces.
  • Minos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    Warby wrote a cool tutorial on how to fix this:
    tutorial_normal_map_seams.jpg
  • carlo_c
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all the help, Minotaur0 I used that tutorial when fixing my normal maps before :) I have abused the search function of this forum lol theres just so much information everywhere!

I have been looking at the materials that come with the game, and their material set ups are so complicated with all the different nodes and I was just wondering was there some sort of specific set up I had to do so that it knows to flip the normal map for the mirrored UV's.
  • Talbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This looks really good! I have a question though that I don't think is worth a new thread. In your scene, for example the wall with the pipes, how many objects are you using? I'm trying to model something similar and I would like to know how I would go about doing it. At the moment I'm making many different objects and keeping them separate. Do you start with multiple objects and then make them one object or do you start with one object then add to it? If there are multiple objects maybe you could include a screenshot and label the different objects. Thank you!
  • carlo_c
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I started with multiple objects then when it was all done just attached everything like the pipes and the little teeth things to the wall plane and that was it.