Home General Discussion

Vista still a no go?

I've been using Vista a work for a while now and I'm interested in hearing from other people that have been using it for a while how their experience has been.

Personally I see very little difference from XP aside from the hour I spent shutting off "user friendly" pop up stuff a month or two ago.

So has it been the train wreck everyone keeps making it out to be, or have they worked out most of the bugs and because I'm a little late switching over its fine?

Replies

• Ryan Clark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryan Clark polycounter lvl 18
    Vista performs a bit more slowly than XP, and eats up a lot more RAM.

I think Vista's performance can be helped somewhat by disabling unwanted services, but I haven't tried it personally, and you probably wouldn't want to, on a work machine.

This is nothing new, really. Microsoft has released a pattern of alternating "good" and "bad" operating systems for years now.

NT4 = good
    Win98 = bad
    Win2000 = good
    WinME = bad
    WinXP = good
    WinVista = bad

So... this pattern has been going for a long time now. The irritating thing is that Microsoft has pulled xp from the market, when people still want to buy it.

By pulling XP from the market, they artificially boost Vista's sales numbers... I guess that makes them look better, or something, but it's just disrespectful of their customers.
  • Daaark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daaark polycounter lvl 17
    I was an early adopter of Vista and never had a single problem with it. This is coming from a techie who is very hard on his machine. It boots up in seconds, and it's fast as hell. I even have a very low spec machine too.

The differences are mostly under the hood. The new video driver model is very good and means that a full screen app can't crash and take your screen with it. You always have CTRL-ALT-DEL that will supercede it now, and bring up a new menu that will let you take your machine back. Very nice.

There are lots of other nice little things too, but I don't know where to start. It's been well over a year now, so XP is a distant memory, and it looks like an old dinosaur every time I see it.

It's the best OS I've ever owned. The UAC stuff is really nice too. It does a good job of letting you know when a piece of software might be trying to do something you don't want and lets you confirm it.

But it's an OS, and it depends on how well you know how to use your machine. If you make a mess of your own machine, run all kinds of crazy kermel and explorer mods, then who knows. This OS is stable as a rock, and the only time it black screens of death anymore is when there is something wrong with the machine's hardware at a low level, or rarely, a badly written device driver.
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    Iv been on vista for a few months now, switched from xp to vista64 with the arrival of a new machine and i got to say i havent had a single problem yet. its even faster than xp. as vampyre says, theres so many improvements that its hard to know where to start. personally first thing i did was to go through all settings and skim it down to the bare minimum graphical bells and whistles and it runs just fine with xsi and zbrush and photoshop, and even my old copy of deep paint.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just built a new machine, installed xp64 on it and seems like it runs great, was thinking of dual booting xp64+vista but really i haven't found a single reason to use vista yet. I've got my 8 gigs of ram working in xp and all is good.
  • kary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kary polycounter lvl 18
    I wound up having Vista (sp1) on my new machine. I'm not overly demanding, but max 2009, PS, xnormal, unreal ed and zb have been fine -- that's all I can speak to though.
  • Pseudo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pseudo polycounter lvl 18
    I built a new computer a few months ago and started using Vista 64 and I don't have any problems with it. I will say that I HATED it for the first month because I didn't know about disabling all the user friendly bullshit.
    I had system crashes and random reboots and all sorts of problems, but they were all related to installing drivers with the user protection shit running. I haven't had any problems since I disabled all of that crap and re-installed the drivers.
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    I really don't care for Vista much. Seems to crash itself and my apps to the desktop about twice a day, and the video stuff conflicts with 3DS Max so I had to turn off all the fancy stuff they put in for your grandma. XP 64 is badass. I used it for a couple years and I am thinking of going back (if I can find the disks).

There is only one thing that I think is good about Vista, and that is when you go to delete a file it deletes right away instead of telling you you have to wait 30 seconds.
  • Ryan Clark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryan Clark polycounter lvl 18
    To get an idea of the performance penalty, you might have a look at some benchmarks.

Office 2007 benchmarks seem to run a lot slower under Vista: http://www.xpnet.com/iworldtest/

I expect polycounters would be more interested in 3D performance... Tom's Hardware has some benchmarks for Max and Maya: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/xp-vs-vista,1531-6.html

Tom's benchmarks are from last year, though... driver improvements might have narrowed the gap since then; I don't know.

One thing that Vista definitely has going for it is stereo 3D support. Nvidia seems to have stopped releasing new stereo drivers for XP. If stereo is important, you'll likely need Vista.
  • Nilium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nilium polycounter lvl 18
    I haven't had many problems with Vista, and the minor things they've changed since XP have been a lot nicer, so I can't imagine I'd go back to XP. Not to say it's perfect, it definitely didn't live up to the hype. It works all the time though, and that's what matters to me.

Issues mainly relate to older games/software that even XP had a hard time with (names escape me, but these were things probably intended for 95/98 that shouldn't be expected to run).
  • Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    Vista is fine but I'm annoyed that vista always tells me I'm holding Shift, ctrl, or alt through a pop up bubble when I'm using Zbrush. And I have no friggen clue how to turn it off :p
  • Nilium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nilium polycounter lvl 18
    Vista is fine but I'm annoyed that vista always tells me I'm holding Shift, ctrl, or alt through a pop up bubble when I'm using Zbrush. And I have no friggen clue how to turn it off :p
    Clicking the bubble would probably bring up the settings.
  • James Edwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    James Edwards polycounter lvl 18
    Overall I'm happier with the OS as far as features and functionality go. I've been using 64 bit Vista since last Dec on a new machine I built myself. Like anything new you spend some time adjusting. Performance wise, every program I used in xp runs better, except maybe photoshop CS3, which hiccups occasionally - but I'm more inclined to blame adobe for that since CS2 runs just fine. The OS itself has been stable. Only crashes I had initially were from a bad ram stick, which is understandable. My only minor complaint so far is that it takes a bit longer for vista to find my wireless network when I wake the system or boot. But once it connects it's fine.
  • j_bradford
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    j_bradford polycounter lvl 17
    Kind of a love/hate relationship with Vista. Installing it was like trading out certain annoyances for others. It found or downloaded ALL my drivers which rocked, XP never did that. However Vista had all these extra crap features I had to turn off. Like that Pen flix popup crap, WTF? Why would I want to know if I press ALT or shift, popping up my on my screen. So annoying. Performances wise it seems fine; openGL tends to run a bit slower but not a huge difference.

Isn't Windows 7 supposed to be released like next year? That would lame since Vista is just maturing into a decent OS.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    only problem i had with vista 64bit, was finding a couple of drivers. other than that, i would never turn back, stupidly stable, unless as was mentioned earlier, i've fucked with the hardware too much.

can run max9 (64 bit), photoshop cs3, zbrush3, and unreal ed all at the same time with no loss of performance.

i have an amd X2 2.4ghz and 4gb ram.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    got 4 GB ram? dx10 video card? a nice core 2 duo o quad processor?

then jump to Vista :)

i have been using vista since its 3rd month on market, and i'm very happy with it. All performs better than in XP (at least for me because i own a nice computer). You disable a few things and it's perfect, the same as XP but better. Vista 64 bits is excellent.

We should have in mind that the OS was designed to fit the needs of too many ppl, if you find useless a service, just disable it, quite easy. I really would like M$ to do an OS exclusively for me, but it can be helped :D

Windows seven w0n't be enough good for too many people, it's being designed mainly for the "new pcs", tablet pcs (do you imagine yourself working on a screen?). It surely will have tons of features we will need to disable... and for sure it will need more ram, and a better machine.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Been using it for a while now, Ultimate64bit - no issues, love it.
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    http://news.cnet.com/8301-13860_3-9998336-56.html

Vista haters being shown a "new" os that they like, only to be told it's Vista :)

My experience with vista has been hit and miss. The Service Pack made it so my dvd drive sorta worked. always looked for drivers and could never find them. That and there was an update that was released that made it so all usb keyboards and mice were no longer recognized.

I have since reinstalled and have had no issues at all with Vista. Only issues I have is some programs have issues with the fancy graphics interface. Visual Studio 05 had a couple issues as did xsi. both were re-draw issues that were due to how things were coded.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goes to show that Vista is a decent OS. People hear bad things about something and they automatically assume the worst. The dumbest thing I heard was that Vista would require you to have 100% DRM content on the PC, and it would remove stuff that wasn't. It would "spy" on you, and send all illegal type activities to Microsoft. A lot of people on this board were paranoid about it. Complete crap though.

Vista is solid. Sure it has some issues, but what OS hasn't? The fancy graphics can get turned off to remove complications with other apps, and sometimes vista is smart enough to turn them off for you (ie; running 3dsmax).
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10
    I like Vista myself but mostly because it's 64bit and my Xp is 32. Here is a good comparison of the xp, vista and linux kernel's

http://www.atomicmpc.com.au/article.asp?CIID=108936
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    Most people who talk crap all the time about Vista are either drama queens or they are mac fanboys.

That being said, don't install Vista unless you have a decent machine (anything Athlon 64 and up). And turn off the ridiculous UAC.
  • SuperOstrich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperOstrich polycounter lvl 17
    I have a Dell laptop running Vista and I'm totally happy with it. Seems to run Max and Zbrush comparably to my much beefier workstation at the office. The only issue I ever had was that my laptop came packaged with an Nvidia 7900GS-M, yet Nvidia didn't have Vista drivers for it. The XP drivers worked, but they had issues. All that has been worked out and the machine works great. I enjoy the interface of Vista way more.
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    no complaints here.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    srlsly, wasn't everyone bashing xp back in the day?
  • jogshy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jogshy polycounter lvl 17
    Vista is far from perfect, but I think it has two good things:

1. DirectX 10.0/10.1
    2. The x64 version has a muuuuuuuuuuuuuuch better Virtual Memory system than XP... and that means you can work better with large model assets.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    I'm using Vista at work now and have for about a month now. I haven't had any serious issues except for my wacom being a little laggy (but I disabled a few settings and its working nicer now) and the Maya hotbox has a slight delay as well (appears in 8.0 and 2008, 32-bit and 64-bit versions).
    I like having a similar setup at home as I do at work, so I'm considering moving to Vista at home as well. I've only got 2Gb RAM, so I've been really reluctant. Might just get some more RAM and see how I go.

-caseyjones
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've been using Vista x64 since it's release and while driver and OGL support was pretty damn shaky back at the start, I've had no problems with it to date.

I haven't noticed anything be slower, but I had it on a new machine from the get-go so I've no XP to compare against. I guess what I mean is I haven't noticed anything be noticeably slow that wasn't before :P

*edit; Granted I've turned off a ton of useless shit that comes with Vista like all the fancy visual effects and I had to wrestle with it to get it to leave my wacom well enough alone.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    To sum up my experience with it so far (Vista64pro) :

-For CS3 to run properly you *need* 3d Aero to be turned on. Otherwise you can't lay down a stroke after panning the document with spacebar. You have to zoom in and out again to 'fix' this.
    -But if you do turn off Aero, 3DSMax turns it off automatically on launch. So basically you can't texture a model if you rely on a CS3+Max setup.
    -Photoshop also turns Aero off if you use the file open 'Adobe Dialog' instead of the 'OS dialog'. All these display settings change don't exactly go unnoticed either - each time the screen goes fully black for a second basically.
    -CS3 crashes if you use the OS dialog and browse files too fast.
    -If you don't like the idea of a computer running at night when you don't use it, and actually turn it off daily - you need to wait for several minutes for it to start up in the morning.
    -The thumbplugTGA thumbnail extension doesn't work on Vista.

So yeah Vista is fine I guess.
  • katzeimsack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katzeimsack polycounter lvl 17
    hmm? cs 3 runs fine on my machine (vasta 64 Home Premium)

(haven't used it much though)
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    hmm pior im looking at tga thumbplug working on vista right now, maybe they fixed it? or theres some other issue
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, CS3 runs perfectly here, too (64 Home Premium) and I have Aero turned off. Unlucky Pior :P

I also haven't noticed that the start-up is any slower than XP. Infact I'm pretty sure it loads faster than my old XP did. I just let the PC hibernate anyway, close enough to being turned off and it springs back to life damn fast.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Well I reckon 64 is another best than 32 so maybe that's why thumbplug doesn't work on mine? And maybe pro is worse than home, who knows hehe :P

As for hibernate ... if I do that, the Wacom sensitivity get lost most of the time. So I ended up simply letting the computer running 24/7. Nice huh? I heard somewhere that MS stated that a computer is like a TV, you just leave it on haha. Save the planet!

My XP32Home loads in a flash compared to Vista64Pro. I bet it has something to do with some network crap.

Talon, on my work setup I rely on some very dirty tricks to make CS3 run properly. Network things again. Like, you have to setup a FAKE printer to override any network printer you might have, otherwise there is some stange check going on and even the smallest jpg takes 10 seconds to load. Also if there is still a document that has been printed on the network printer in your recent list, well the 10 seconds thing kicks back. So you have to manually clean that list throughout the day.
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hah, that's pretty fucked up. Not come across that one yet.

I used to have loads of problems with the sensitivity being dropped from my tablet when alt+tabbing or hibernating. I read somewhere the trick was to let Photoshop boot up completely without selecting any other apps or windows ('cause I tended to open PS then go off and load up modo while PS was sorting itself out). If I just hit the PS shortcut and don't touch anything until PS is sat there all loaded up, it seems to fix the problems for me. Might be worth a try...
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I dont know why it takes so long for your system to load up, Pior. My Vista Ultimate64 rig boots up faster than it did when it was XP. I'm running CS2, not CS3, so I'm not sure what issues go on with that. I don't have issues with my networked printer, either.