Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Low-Poly HK USP (WIP)

m.roanhaus
polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
m.roanhaus polycounter lvl 14
Here's the low-poly version of an HK USP I'm bringing into Unreal 3. It's modeled so I can animate it, hence the many pieces. The top will slide back so the barrel and and lower rod are modeled so you see them in the animation. I know I could cut a few polys here and there and I wanna' know what I can cut. It's only 481 polys so I think I could probably leave it as is.

HKUSPProgress.jpg

Replies

• BrodyB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's a pretty solid-looking rendition. Can't wait to see the hi-res.
  • m.roanhaus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's the final model for now. Please critique!

HKUSP.jpg
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    too small to see anything
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jonas Ronnegard polycount sponsor
    yeah please take a single shot of the textured model ^^;
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    Did you model the magazine at all?

Textures seem a little bland, it could use a few scratches and a little grimey stuff in the spec. And IMO a 512x512 map would be more suited to a pistol.

The edges of the slide are flat, not rounded. pic
    I think you could have used a few more tris and modeled on the indented bits that you have normal mapped in, as they are a pretty large part on the silhouette of the gun.

The rest of it seems good.
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    from the second post images, id say the normalmap needs to be a lot stronger, and bigger images would make it easier to see:) is this 1st person or 3rd?
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Yep...that normal map looks like something out of the Nvidia normal map filter....not even made...just processed through with default settings....

The color itself needs some interesting wear and scratch along edges....get a flaked version of the actual gun would help...

The model itself isn't bad.
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bluekangaroo polycounter lvl 13
    one thing thats really bugging me is how boxy the handle is....im sure the real thing has a little more curvature to it than what you have
  • Flewda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flewda polycounter lvl 17
    If this is for a 3rd person model, 1024x1024 is a huge texture to have. If it's for a first person model, 450 polys is quite low. I'm a bit confused as to what you are going for.

As for the detail, a couple of things seem pretty off, but it's really hard to tell from the small image you gave us. Can you post a larger image?
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah. Flewda make a good point, i would expect a bigger polycount for such texture size. and also, i can see on your texture that you one handle of the arm had bigger texture size than the other. why is that?
  • m.roanhaus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's a better image to critique:poly136:

To clear things up, it is for Unreal 2004 (my school doesn't have Unreal 3 yet). I plan on modeling it up later for Unreal 3 when I get the chance. I agree with Racer, the 1024 was much too hi-res so I lowered it to 512 for this render.

Pliang, the normal map wasn't processed through NVIDIA map, I made modeled floater normal planes and overlaid them on hi-poly normal map in Photoshop. The only exception was the bumps on the grip, that was crazybump. I could've made the normals higher but I'm really against strong normals.

Bitmap, I made the UVs on the right side smaller since it's for an FPS so you see the left side more.

I do plan on dirtying it up a bit now that you guys mentioned it, couldn't find good worn pistol to reference though. Thanks everybody so far for their input.

Render1.jpg
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jonas Ronnegard polycount sponsor
    well i kinda like the unscratched texturing, dont really like the handle noise though probably looked better in the higher resolution. U have a normalmap but no spec?

+well noticed you had a specmap, not really showing though i would probably redo it though even though im no expert,, experiment some,, never use only the leveled diffusemap