Home Technical Talk

Perspective Drawing's a bitch

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Zephir62 polycounter lvl 12
shipcopy.jpg

I've run into this problem multiple times in my art and I have no idea how to get around it other than building a 3D equivalent and using it as reference. I don't see how the vanishing-point method is applicable in this situation. . Any insight on how to do perspective drawing on a curved surface as accurate as possible?

Replies

• Kawe
    Offline / Send Message
    Kawe polycounter lvl 8
    I'm not sure myself but I THINK you gotta figure out a way to project orthogonal versions onto your perspective drawing I believe. Sadly I'm not good with projections so..
  • Deathead
    To make something 3d use either Rendering on the area where the light is cast. Or make the edges darker to give that effect.
  • Mezz
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    Hmm, when I get a tricky perspective point, I like to look at something as reference... In this case, I'd suggest you google something of a similar shape, even just a basic ring, and see if you can't find an image that has the right, or very similar, perspective you need. Then, see if you can figure out exactly the way the lines are curving and try to apply it to your drawing.

Another idea I was taught is to draw lines over the body that follow the organic curve... the perspective of the piece that is added on top should follow that. Meaning, draw many even lines in the direction the body/muslces/frame are moving, and the perspective they are in. When you have those lines down, try building the piece back on top of that.

Sorry, I hope that wasn't more confusing than it needed to be... good luck with it!
  • Michael Knubben
    I had a class at uni that went into the specifics of how to do complex shapes in 3d the 'right' way (so no eye-balling it). Unfortunately for you I hated it and remembered nothing.
    Nevertheless, I'm at my parents now, and if I can find the time, I'll have a root through my school-stuff to see if I have any notes from class. It's a bit of a hectic visit though, so I'm sorry if I don't get around to it.
  • sir-knight
    Offline / Send Message
    sir-knight polycounter lvl 10
    are you just trying to figure out how to wrap the collar around with the ellipse?
  • Kawe
    Offline / Send Message
    Kawe polycounter lvl 8
    Wouldn't this coincide with a sine function? The distance that is.. if we assume it is a perfect circle around it. Obviously it isn't.. but you're gonna have to do THAT math yourself :p
  • StJoris
    Seems if you just set up a quick one-point perspective it will be fine. You might have ignored it till now, thinking there is none, but it's mostly likely behind the subject, like this:
    http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/img/gallery/gallery_pops/robertson/robertson_e.jpg

Draw a line for the height of your circle, lines to the vanishing point from top, middle and bottom. Then you fill in the lines to the side so you have a perspective square with a cross in it. Remember that in perspective the middle is closer to the perspective point that the "actual" middle as you flat measure it.

Now go ahead and make that circle, which will be an ellipse in perspective, ellipses are hard but I'll try to get it across. The ellips is symmetrical across it's minor-axis, divided by the middle line going to the vanishing point. ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ellipse) It's line run tangent to the sides of the plane you just drew in the mid-points, so you can start by making almost tangents little roundings at those places. I was thaught to draw ellipses from hand in one motion, going back the other way if not perfect the first time.
    This might help too
    http://www.sibleyfineart.com/index.htm?tutorial--draw-ellipses.htm

Now that you have a circle of your collar you can alter that to your liking into something more complex in perspective. You can "copy" that across by using diagonals, draw a line from the corner of the plane to the middle, same at the other side of the middle. Now where your curved line crosses the diagonal, you can set a line out from there to the vanishing point, where that hits the diagonal on the other side of the middle, is where this point of the curve shuold be.

I've only yet gotten drawing 1&2 classes, but this is what comes to mind. There might be better artists that know better hehe, I'd be interested to see your take on this.
    Sorry for the lenghty post, hope it helps.
  • robioto
    Offline / Send Message
    robioto polycounter lvl 19
    I guess his perspective lecture pack is pricey at $129USD but you can check out this guys lecture samples on perspective and other topics here

http://draw123.com/