Home General Discussion

iPhone's out - who's getting one???

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
alexk polycounter lvl 12
With the release of the 3g, the iphone is finally available in canada through Rogers and Fido. Unfortunately, it comes with a 3 year contract and those already under contract, like myself, have to wait till July 24th to hear some kind of announcement on how they're gonna handle that. So I was wondering, whos getting one, or already got one yesterday? I want to get one, and apparently I can apply my saved Fido dollars toward it which makes it even cheaper, but that's only if they get their act straight and let those already under contract to get one.

Replies

• pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    I heard they're under fire with one of their affiliates...cant remember...
  • pior
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    They're doing a similar thing here in Australia. Basically you can't buy the iPhone on its own and you are forced to sign on an expensive contracted plan for an epic length of time. I understand its to stop people from just buying out the entire store and then selling them on eBay once they've sold out.
    I'll probably get one so I can be cool like everyone else. Though I'll just wait until I can buy one without signing my soul to the devil for $300 a month.

-caseyjones
  • Ozymandias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ozymandias polycounter lvl 18
    its not that expensive, I ordered mine on Friday because of course they were sold out. But its just my current plan of 39.99 plus $30 for the unlimited internet data plan. I don't know what the contracts are like outside of the US, but its actually a pretty reasonable plan here, and I am really looking forward to satisfying my geek fix with this phone.
  • rube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rube polycounter lvl 17
    I was going to get one.. but with the cheapest voice/data plan being $60 it's just not worth it for me. I gave myself a cutoff of $40.

rube
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Unless I'm mistaken, Apple was unable to release the iPhone in Belgium initially, because of the laws that prevent selling bundles without also offering the items seperately (so in this case, only bundling the iPhone with a subscription to at&t or local equivalent). Last I heard, they're selling it seperately over there now, for a not-altogether insane price. I wonder if it's limited in any way only to work in Belgium?
  • Vitor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vitor polycounter lvl 18
    It's now on Portugal too through Vodafone and Optimus. I'm pretty sure you can buy it without contract here but it is around 600€ the 16Gb version. I'll probably get a classic iPod instead...
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The most controversial feature of the Belgian iPhone is its high price tag. While the default price (for a subscription-linked iPhone) worldwide is $199 (about €125) for a 8Gb version, you pay €525 in Belgium. Mobistar blames the high price to the fact that the Belgian law doesn’t allow the product to be linked to a required subscription (the infamous ‘koppelverkoop’).
    Just a quote from an article to fill out the details that were lacking from my post :)
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Pea (and others) - O2 was the stockist in the UK, but with the previous iPhone you bought the phone (it was reduced to £169 in April prior to the 3G version) and then when you plugged it into iTunes you set up the contract.

I know at least half a dozen people who went into O2 and bought a phone, then immediately unlocked it. They put in their sim cards and used their existing contracts including Pay as you go.

As far as I know the initial reports of the new iPhone required the contract to be set up in the shop to prevent this - can anyone confirm?
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yup, and there were terrible problems with it in a lot of locations, and people generally just stormed out and said "fuck the iPhone". Only to return the next day, I'm sure, but it made for some amusing soundbytes.
  • LEViATHAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LEViATHAN polycounter lvl 11
    Never understood what's so special about it.
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    As far as I know the initial reports of the new iPhone required the contract to be set up in the shop to prevent this - can anyone confirm?

That's what they're doing in Canada. Setting up the contract in store that is.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    I'd like to get a smartphone, but I don't think the iPhone is a good solution for myself right now.

Just seems like there's so much collusion in Canada with our service providers. I'm paying $91 a month for a plan that includes unlimited long distance, limited texting, and call display (no internet connection).

An iPhone plan will likely ring me up over $120 a month for the services I need.

I'd much rather get the Nokia N95 over an iPhone. I'll likely wait until the Google, and Nvidea phones come out (some much needed competition to drive down the price).
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    I checked the prices yesterday online and they aren't as bad as I thought either.
    Though most of the cheaper plans require a once off up-front payment followed by a 12-24 month contract.
    All the contracts need to be signed in-store as well and unlocked by the provider after paying an unlock fee.

-caseyjones
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    alexk, I hope you don't mind but I adjusted the title of the thread so that anyone, not just us Canucks, can get in on the action.
  • alexk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexk polycounter lvl 12
    alexk approves of your changes
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    I don't have a credit card at the moment so I ended up shelling out $700 for mine. I'm not tied to any contract, I paid in cash. Had to wait 4 hours in line though.

The plus side is, they will be sold out here for months... so when I pull the thing out, it's like I'm getting out a 10 foot wang.

The thing has proved it's worth already with push email and GPS. We use email for phones in Japan, have been for years (sms doesn't exist here). I actually got lost on saturday looking for a beach party, the GPS saved me a great deal of time and bother.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    got one that night, it's awesome. wish the battery was longer.. however I've been using it like non stop.

some of the apps could certainly be better though.. but some gems will pop out.

most of the apps require logins for their sites.. I don't really wanna sign up at 2000 places. and most of the apps' features can be done just with the regular maps tool.
  • Pseudo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pseudo polycounter lvl 18
    I got one on Saturday. I absolutely love it and it is a huge improvement over my old phone (a Blackjack).

I didn't think to read the fine print on the pricing and ended up paying $400 for it, because I already had a contract with AT&T, so I couldn't get a discount on a new phone until my existing contract runs out. They made a deal with apple and offered the $200 discount to people who purchased a first gen iphone, but for the rest of us looking to get our first iphone, we have to pay full price.

Not a big deal, I expected to pay that much anyway, but I rather liked the idea of paying half price.

The phone is incredibly helpful and easy to use, and there aren't many other options in the US.

And the pricing isn't bad at all. I end up paying $10 more a month than I had been paying previously, so it comes out to around $70 a month.
    I'm not happy with the price increase going from $20 to $30 for unlimited data just because it's "3g", because my old phone had 3G and they were perfectly fine with the standard data plan. Clearly a way for AT&T to suck some extra money out of the iPhone users.
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    when I can buy one for Verizon Wireless, no way switching to AT&T
  • James Edwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    James Edwards polycounter lvl 18
    I plan on getting one. No way in hell I'd stand in line for it though. I can wait a few days.
  • Pseudo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pseudo polycounter lvl 18
    Gwot - the wait time at the Apple store at the Irvine Spectrum was 3 hours on saturday, but I called the AT&T store at the Woodbury shopping center (Sand Canyon and Irvine Blvd) and they had some in stock and there wasn't anyone waiting in line when I got there. I walked up to the counter and 15 minutes later was walking out with my activated iphone.
  • James Edwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool man, good to know. I might drop by on my lunch break tomorrow and check it out... it's just across the street anyway. =]
    Thanks for the heads up!
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    if the 3g network of those phones is a vast improvement, i'll probably upgrade in the next few months.

I had some shitty luck updating my software to 2.0... i have my .mac mail on it, and when i upgraded it turned on contact syncing as well. I didnt have contacts uploaded to the .mac/me account... so it kindly erased every phone number in my phone. Not a very happy moose for a friday night and losing all your phone numbers.

The apps are pretty awesome, some could use work, but it has really made the phone a lot more "worth it." There are a few movie apps (one good one) that shows you theaters nearby w/ movies and show times. Only draw back is the ticket purchasing site doesnt work with the local theaters here :)

havent tried any games yet, but its super slick. Would love to see some sort of 3d model viewer app, and how many polys it could push... would be cool to keep some of your art and models around on your phone :)
  • James Edwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Would love to see wipeout get released for this thing =]
  • alexk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexk polycounter lvl 12
    when fido or whatever provider says you get X number of MB data transfers on a certain plan, is that amount for using the providers internet service or also includes data using a wireless connection like the one I have at home?
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whut? my data plan is unlimited $50 a month. no option for limited.
  • jeramy79
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    $20 a month for 200 txt messages and unlimited data
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    we're getting a bad deal here in Japan
  • ElysiumGX
  • TWilson
  • kwakkie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kwakkie polycounter lvl 12
    Wow, seems like I had a pretty good deal here in Holland! I only had to pay 80 euro for a 8 gig 3G and 30 euro a month for unlimited internet, 150 sms messages and 150 minutes a month(wich is 5 euro more than my old phone plan, so im happy! :D).
  • Jonathan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You sign an annoyingly-long contract because the price you pay doesn't cover the cost to actually make the iPhone, so they make up for it with a contractual agreement between you and the phone service, similar to game consoles losing money on hardware, but gaining it back on software and extra gadgets and accessories for their consoles.

Sorta like "back in the day" you could buy a "cheap" computer if you signed on to AOL for a 2-3 year contract.

'Tis the reason I am not buying one.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Ozymandias wrote: »
    its not that expensive, I ordered mine on Friday because of course they were sold out. But its just my current plan of 39.99 plus $30 for the unlimited internet data plan. I don't know what the contracts are like outside of the US, but its actually a pretty reasonable plan here, and I am really looking forward to satisfying my geek fix with this phone.

my priceplan = £35 p/m - 1200 mins, 3000 txts + £5 for unlim interwebs (500mb fair usage).

and i got the samsung tocco.