Home General Discussion

Too Human Demo Today

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
nacire polycounter lvl 17
If anyone is interested the demo should be going up today at 2 am PDT for those with Gold member accounts.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/live/marketplace/t/toohuman/demo.htm

Replies

• Armanguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Armanguy polycounter lvl 17
    sexy ill stay up just to download it :D
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    Gonna queue it up now.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    I thought that there was some demonstration on today involving human rights or something:)
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    BAH!

A few nice looking environment stuffs though
  • Armanguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Armanguy polycounter lvl 17
    WOW! i gotta say it was underwhelming my brother couldn't even be bothered by finishing the short demo :S
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    Visually impressive, combat animations needs to be smoothed out in between attacks, targeting can be a little hectic at times. Otherwise, not bad.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    I was looking forward to this game for a LONG time.

first impressions were very poor, however the game got a lot more fun/interesting towards the end of the demo, supposivly the game gets better as it goes along too.

The skill tree for the Champion looks very uninteresting, and honestly, what's the point of multiple 'branches' when you are forced into putting your first point into a set place? and if the other branches suck?

the combat got fun after a little, it's great to keep busy and shoot stuff.

the camera is god awful. fixing this alone would make the game a thousand times more playable.

I'll still give it a rent because it has a fun item system from what I could tell, and I loves me some uber lewts.

on the whole I am disappointed , we'll see when the final game comes out though.
  • nacire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Im pretty mixed on the whole thing. It' riddled with good and bad. Some of the graphics come off quite nice while others are just unexcusable. Some animations are good while others are laughable. Specific things that are in I just don't understand, how could anyone think that the troll balancing act was a good idea? The movement is really bad with no sense of weight and it just comes off as so unfinished. Hit (A) hop on troll's back, move stick in opposite direction of troll twice. Wiggle rt stick kill troll.

The camera = facepalm. I understand that it is supposed to be a presentation tool to lend in the grandiose story telling and epic staging, but it just doesn't work in those regards. It takes away an element of control that I personally feel hinders the game more than helping it. At times it works decently and at other times it can really just go nuts. I came back from a cutscene to find that the camera had somehow gotten outside of the ceiling or something. Sometimes it wants you to look at something you don't want to look at making navigation difficult. Additionally if you want to check out the in game art work it's too difficult to be bothered as the free look option only works when it deems it neccesary.

I'm enjoying a lot of the combat, sliding about can feel good sometimes when you really get some combo speed going. I do feel like the skill trees and such were tailored for the 4 player co-op in many regards and come off a bit meh in single player.

I will say I've played through it a number of times and keep going back. There are ways to play more than just the champion class as well. (Google it or look on you tube to find out how.) I went through as a commando (ranged class) but I didn't like it as well as the champion. I think I'm going to go as the defender next.

It does have that sense of suffering from a long dev cycle, but who knows. It's not the second coming of Christ that Mr. Dyack would lead you to believe, but it's not worthy of the hate it has amassed across the web. It's certainly not perfect, but IMO it is fun if you dig these types of loot gathering/character building games. It's one of those games that had potential to be a gaming milestone, but missed the mark. I'm not really sure what went wrong or where it went wrong.

Edit*- I figured since I sound like I'm negatively preaching about it I would add a blurb. I'm having fun playing this game, it's just not what I was hoping for. Despite the negatives I may still pick this up since I'm enjoying the demo. I would definitely recommend a play before buy on this one though.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    Whoa, so you CAN play the other classes? I knew it!

/googles
  • nacire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yep just played through the defender, beat all secret rooms found 4 craftable pieces of set armor. The craftable pieces are definitely automatically set to whatever class you are playing at the time. I gotta say the defender was badass. The last timed room, which I consider the hardest to do, I had 19 secs left, looked around and the room was freaking cleared. Just a sea of loot pick ups floating around the room.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    gotta say the more I play the more I enjoy it and forget about the shortcomings.
  • nacire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx wrote: »
    gotta say the more I play the more I enjoy it and forget about the shortcomings.

I agree, I just finished the berserker and I'd have to say it's been the funnest class so far. I'll have to give the bio engineer a shot soon.
  • FunkaDelicDass
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FunkaDelicDass polycounter lvl 18
    Played it for about half an hour. I agree with the stuff already mentioned about the camera, it's not very good. I'd rather have traditional fighting controls and camera control on the right stick.

For me, the biggest negative was the menu screens. When you're constantly picking up loot, you want a snappy inventory screen to pop up so you can try out your new stuff. Having to go into a main menu, scroll through a radial menu (which takes about a second to pop up) to access the inventory, and wait about a second for that to pop up, is very aggravating. Sounds like splitting hairs but when the big thing about your game is loot, you need to make it accessible.
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    For me, the biggest negative was the menu screens. When you're constantly picking up loot, you want a snappy inventory screen to pop up so you can try out your new stuff. Having to go into a main menu, scroll through a radial menu (which takes about a second to pop up) to access the inventory, and wait about a second for that to pop up, is very aggravating. Sounds like splitting hairs but when the big thing about your game is loot, you need to make it accessible.

Err... Press the back button... ?

I actually quite liked the demo. Really like the mix of norse and sci-fi. Love the idea of the right stick for combat, though it is a bit awkward getting used to the camera system because of it, seems something a bit better could've been worked out with that.

But yea, overall I like.

[edit]Oh, and what in the fuck is up with the lack of rumble?[/edit]
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Ug. This game is pretty terrible. Some decent pieces of art here and there, but otherwise total garbage IMO.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Ug. This game is pretty terrible. Some decent pieces of art here and there, but otherwise total garbage IMO.

What that man said. Some time ago I remember thinking the games development might be worth following. Unfortunately however, the gameplay feels about as tired as the visual concepts. Seriously, enough fucking bald space marines already. It's all done well enough graphically (apart from some pretty nasty cut scenes and dodgy looking faces. WTF is up with the eye shape morph targets?) but it all feels so deja vu that there's just not enough to keep you gripped for long.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    this game is an interactive 80's action flick. kind of bad, but kind of awesome - and you know it's not particularly well done but if you're in the right mood it's a lot of simple fun. neon special effects, two-dimensional beefcake characters spouting cheesey over-the-top dialog... the space marine banter is just rad, talking about "food-credits" and buying each other mighty rounds of space mead.

i can easily see this being a blast with a beer and a friend on co-op.
  • Mister Sentient
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mister Sentient polycounter lvl 18
    Sectaurs wrote: »
    this game is an interactive 80's action flick. kind of bad, but kind of awesome - and you know it's not particularly well done but if you're in the right mood it's a lot of simple fun.

Except it's missing the all important nostalgia factor.
  • nacire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't know guys, the more I play the demo, different classes and class builds the more I'm really liking it. /shrugs It's got such potential that the shortcomings really piss me off though. I would suggest giving it enough time to let the controls sink in, before that happens it really does feel pretty clumsy.